Photoshop, IPTC/EXIF, Photo Captions and Smugmug - I need some help

ZigriversZigrivers Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited September 4, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Hi everyone -

I'm new here and have been trying to figure out how to get all of this set up and going. However, I've run into an issue that I'm stumped on.

I've created a gallery, and have edited my photos to include caption information in Photoshop via the File Info command. I work on my photos and have them saved as PSD files. When I've completed all of my post-processing work I then select "Save for Web..." to save a copy of the file as a JPG (it's my understanding that's the only file extension supported by smugmug?). However, when I do this it doesn't appear to be saving my IPTC/EXIF information with the file. Am I going about this the wrong way?

Ideally, I want to be able to do my post-processing in Bridge/Photoshop, which would include adding captions (BTW, which field is technically designated as the photo caption? Is it the "Headline" field or the "Description" field?). After I have that finished I would save the JPGs to be uploaded to my smugmug gallery.

I'm sorry if this is pretty basic - I've done searches on these boards trying to find an answer, but I've come up blank. Any help would be most appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2006
    Welcome to dGrin.

Photoshop's "Save for Web" by design strips the IPTC data from the image in an attempt to make that image's file size as small as practical.

Change over to "Save as" and pick JPEG from the list and you'll be golden.
    edited September 4, 2006
    Oops, didn't see your other questions.

Use image description for the text to be displayed with your image on smugmug. I'm pretty sure that smugmug doesn't read headline (or title).

AND DON'T FORGET KEYWORDS! smugmug has a great implementation for using keywords.

It looks like you're well on your way to efficiently handling your images. You might want to check out this post as well:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=322569&postcount=6
  • ZigriversZigrivers Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited September 4, 2006
    pat.kane wrote:
    Welcome to dGrin.

Photoshop's "Save for Web" by design strips the IPTC data from the image in an attempt to make that image's file size as small as practical.

Change over to "Save as" and pick JPEG from the list and you'll be golden.

I was wondering if this might be the case. The only problem I'm running into is that when I select "Save As..." I don't get an option to save as a JPG. Only file type format options I get are Cineon, PDF, RAW, PNG and TIFF.

I'm probably missing something really simple here, aren't I. How do I get it so that Photoshop will allow me to "Save As" a JPG? ne_nau.gif

Thanks for your help!
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2006
    pat.kane wrote:
    Oops, didn't see your other questions.

Use image description for the text to be displayed with your image on smugmug. I'm pretty sure that smugmug doesn't read headline (or title).

AND DON'T FORGET KEYWORDS! smugmug has a great implementation for using keywords.

It looks like you're well on your way to efficiently handling your images. You might want to check out this post as well:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=322569&postcount=6

Pat, thanks for all the great help you give here on Dgrin! bowdown.gif
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2006
    Zigrivers wrote:
    I was wondering if this might be the case. The only problem I'm running into is that when I select "Save As..." I don't get an option to save as a JPG. Only file type format options I get are Cineon, PDF, RAW, PNG and TIFF.

I'm probably missing something really simple here, aren't I. How do I get it so that Photoshop will allow me to "Save As" a JPG? ne_nau.gif

Thanks for your help!
    Hi Zigrivers, and welcome to Dgrin wave.gif

I'm no photoshop expert, and i'm sure someone will come along shortly to tell me that i am right or wrong, but i believe it depends on the mode you are in. In LAB mode you cannot save a JPG, but in RGB you can. There might be other reasons, that i don't know of.
  • ZigriversZigrivers Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited September 4, 2006
    Yep. Just figured it out - I'm such a photoshop noob!

I found this in a google search:

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/325073.html

Turns out you can't save it as a JPG if you're in 16 bit mode. I had to convert it to 8 bits. Does that seem strange?

Anyway, I'm about to test this and see if I can get this to work now with IPTC information.
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2006
    Zigrivers wrote:
    Turns out you can't save it as a JPG if you're in 16 bit mode. I had to convert it to 8 bits. Does that seem strange?

It may seem strange, but it's just a fact. The official JPG standard only handles 8-bit files, so there is no way for Adobe or any other software to make a 16-bit JPG and still conform to the standard. The limited Save options you see for a 16-bit file are the only options that are technically possible.
    edited September 4, 2006
    Andy, I'm still running a deficit of more help received than given, but I'm working on getting even :): -- though everytime I use devbobo's hack for bulk zoom thumbnail, the deficit keeps getting bigger!

Zigrivers, I'm glad you figured it out. If I ever run into problems not being able to write a jpeg, I first look to see if I have multiple layers then I look at Image > Mode to see what's there.