Picasa web albums catching up fast!

jfaughnanjfaughnan Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited September 5, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Google has released an iPhoto plug-in that's a joy to use. It's painless to upload an album, and the titles and even keywords are uploaded with the image (though not comments I think). 9GB of storage for about $30 a year. Viewers can download hi-res images, Picasa users can get entire albums.

It's a real winner for OS X and XP/Picasa users, but ... No passwords, No printing, no customization (but I like their way of working).

If SmugMug could really get iPhoto integration working... I used SugMug's iPhoot v1 uploader with good success, but v2 won't work with OS X 10.3.9 and I even had weird behavior with 10.4.7. Really, it's an ugly application and, for me, very flaky. The other uploaders don't preserve iPhoto titles, comments, etc. (PictureSync, a 3rd party product, was good for a while but I think the author has given up on it.)

My loyalty is definitely wavering. SmugMug needs to get serious about OS X support, including iPhoto integration, or they'll lose me.

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2006
    jfaughnan wrote:
    Google has released an iPhoto plug-in that's a joy to use. It's painless to upload an album, and the titles and even keywords are uploaded with the image (though not comments I think). 9GB of storage for about $30 a year. Viewers can download hi-res images, Picasa users can get entire albums.

It's a real winner for OS X and XP/Picasa users, but ... No passwords, No printing, no customization (but I like their way of working).

If SmugMug could really get iPhoto integration working... I used SugMug's iPhoot v1 uploader with good success, but v2 won't work with OS X 10.3.9 and I even had weird behavior with 10.4.7. Really, it's an ugly application and, for me, very flaky. The other uploaders don't preserve iPhoto titles, comments, etc. (PictureSync, a 3rd party product, was good for a while but I think the author has given up on it.)

My loyalty is definitely wavering. SmugMug needs to get serious about OS X support, including iPhoto integration, or they'll lose me.

Thanks for taking the time to post this, and let us know how important it is to you. I've made sure that our product manager and engineers have seen this!

All the best,
  • DodgeV83DodgeV83 Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2006
    9GB for $30 a year? I don't really see how that competes headscratch.gif