Focus confirmation

KA0TVOKA0TVO Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
edited October 19, 2006 in Cameras
I have been looking at some of the focus confirmation chips for our older manual lenses. Most on Ebay are around 65.00 plus shipping and you glue it on yourself.
However, found a Ebay site that appears to sell the chip and M42 adaptor together for around 65.00>
Am I misreading this add? Sounds good, any comments, suggestions?

http://cgi.ebay.com/AF-Confirm-Adapter-for-M42-lenses-on-Canon-EOS-cameras_W0QQitemZ280022625984QQihZ018QQcategoryZ4688QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Bob

Comments

• gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2006
    news
    to me- i dont know whether its the same guy that Ziggy bought his confirm chip from-search threads in here-i guess it all comes down to the adapter plate and whether it is the righttolerence etc assuming that the chip works.the price looks ok.

go on buy one and let us know how it works out .what manual lenses are you planning to use? greg
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • KA0TVOKA0TVO Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2006
    greg,
    Thanks for the reply. I think this is a different vender that Ziggy used. Seems as if there is a price difference here, if offering adaptor as well as the chip for 65.00. Just wanted some other opinions here :D .
    I have a Jupiter 9, 85mm f2.0 which is very sharp. Have the peleng 8mm as well as the MC Zenitar. With the Zenitar just set at f8 and shoot. Great for the street :D . As for the Peleng most shots are at infinity.
    Bob
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited September 5, 2006
    Hi Bob and Greg,

I don't think this is the same source, and the chip appears different from the one I purchased, there are some contacts missing from this newer design.

BTW, the chip I was using fell apart about 4 weeks ago. I had the adapter with the chip mounted on the Pentax 50mm, f1.4, and it had become part of my regular "kit", replacing the Canon 50mm, f1.8.

I was camping with my son and I went to mount the lens and noticed a "tinkle" sound when I picked it out of the bag. When I took the EOS rear lens cap off (borrowed from the Canon 50mm) I saw that the chip had split into two parts, with the main body of the chip still glued to the adapter. There was no way to do a field repair, and I really wanted to use the lens for some campfire shots, so, like an idiot, I mounted the assembly onto the camera.

Unfortunately, the part that was still attached to the adapter still had 2 contacts on it and, whatever those contacts do, the camera locked up with an error when I tried to use it. Worse, the adapter wouldn't de-mount the camera.

I decided to use a knife to remove the remaining part of the chip, just to get the adapter off the camera.

Working in dim light, with a very sharp knife, with the adapter still attached to the camera, I was able to get the chip off in three sections.

Of course, by now I was running late for the campfire, so I didn't have time to run back to the van and get the tripod before the event I was hoping to capture. I did remount the Pentax lenas and adapter back onto the camera, and I was able to try to hand-hold some shots, but the light was just too dim and none of them turned out sharp.

Sometimes I have whole years like this.:cry

I really like the Pentax glass, but I find the focus confirmation worked better than my manual focus attempts, so I'll probably purchase another chip.

What the heck, I might even purchase this one posted by Bob. Thanks to Bob for posting this find.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2006
    Ziggy
    Ziggy,

Thanks for a very funny nightmare- of photographic fiddlliness.rolleyes1.gif

You certainly have a way with words.

The new product looks like it's going for a good price, if not stuck on with glue.

I have just had 400/5.6 CLA'd with focus adjust-heres hoping.

Greg
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • JamieCJamieC Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Sometimes I have whole years like this.
    What a signature line that would make. Sadly, I understand it all too well.

Jamie
  • KA0TVOKA0TVO Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2006
    Well that is quite a camera experience! That really sounds like what would happen to me rolleyes1.gif . Hope this newer version is better. I have the same problen, can't focus as well but what the heck!
    Bob
    edited September 6, 2006
    JamieC wrote:
    What a signature line that would make. ...

Jamie

That and ...

"You can't have it so bad, 'cause at least you aren't me."

Kinda has Country and Western written all over it.:D

Yee Haw,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • herionherion Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2006
    KA0TVO wrote:
    I have been looking at some of the focus confirmation chips for our older manual lenses. Most on Ebay are around 65.00 plus shipping and you glue it on yourself.
    However, found a Ebay site that appears to sell the chip and M42 adaptor together for around 65.00>
    Am I misreading this add? Sounds good, any comments, suggestions?

http://cgi.ebay.com/AF-Confirm-Adapter-for-M42-lenses-on-Canon-EOS-cameras_W0QQitemZ280022625984QQihZ018QQcategoryZ4688QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I've used both ... if you'd like some feedback, please PM or email me.
    edited October 19, 2006