Good Beginner Books

BobertBobert Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited December 6, 2004 in Technique
My wife and I have recently purchased a Nikon D70 (two months ago). We can now take point and shoot pictures with it, but would like to start taking "artsy" pictures. I'm looking for a nice book that covers the basics (shudder speeds, iso settings...) to the more complex like macro photography, lenses, setups, and other specialties.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thank you

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2004
    wave.gif Hiya Bobert, welcome to dgrin!

That's a good question. I've bought a bunch of books over the years, but not sure that any one is the "best" primer. I have a couple of suggestions. The first is to do a Google for phrases like "photography introduction" or words to that effect. The other would be to find a camera store in your area that sells books, maybe holds classes, and ask them for a recommendation. ne_nau.gif

There are tons of websites that cover the basics for free, as well.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2004
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2004
    one of the best online courses I know:
    http://www.agfanet.com/en/cafe/photocourse/classiccourse/cont_index.php3
    It is AWESOME!!
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • ubergeekubergeek Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited December 5, 2004
    Here's one I like
    One "beginner" type book I enjoyed was the National Geographic Photography Field Guide: Secrets to Making Great Pictures (Barnes & Noble link). I've been doing photography as a hobby for some time now, but this book still taught me a few things. There are a number of books in the "Photography Field Guide" series that cover specific topics such as portraiture, landscapes, etc., but this particular volume is pretty general, covering the basics of photography (composition, aperture, shutter speed, etc.).

My local bookstores have a number of photography books. Before purchasing, I usually thumb through a few of them to see if they cover topics interesting to me in a level of detail that I find useful. If you have access to such bookstores, you may find that browsing their selection will turn up something that you can learn from.

There is also a series of lessons and other pontifications about photography written by Petteri Sulonen on his Web site. Most (All? I don't remember now) of the lessons focus (get it? hehehe) on composition and not so much on technical details, but I think composition is perhaps the most important part of photography (and the most difficult to get "right").

Whatever material you find to better yourselves in the hobby, I hope you continue to enjoy it!

Cheers,
    Jeremy

Jeremy Rosenberger

Zeiss Ikon, Nokton 40mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.2, Nokton 50mm f/1.5, Canon Serenar 85mm f/2
    Canon Digital Rebel XT, Tokina 12-24mm f/4, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.4

http://ubergeek.smugmug.com/

• imaximax Registered Users Posts: 691 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2004
    Bobert wrote:
    My wife and I have recently purchased a Nikon D70 (two months ago). We can now take point and shoot pictures with it, but would like to start taking "artsy" pictures. I'm looking for a nice book that covers the basics (shudder speeds, iso settings...) to the more complex like macro photography, lenses, setups, and other specialties.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thank you
    Free is aleways a good place to start

http://www.morguefile.com/archive/classroom.php
  • PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2004
    ubergeek wrote:
    One "beginner" type book I enjoyed was the National Geographic Photography Field Guide: Secrets to Making Great Pictures (Barnes & Noble link). I've been doing photography as a hobby for some time now, but this book still taught me a few things. There are a number of books in the "Photography Field Guide" series that cover specific topics such as portraiture, landscapes, etc., but this particular volume is pretty general, covering the basics of photography (composition, aperture, shutter speed, etc.).

Cheers,
    Jeremy
    I second this recommendation. This is one of the books I can't fathom selling, lending or giving away ever.
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2004
    Thanks Michiel....thumb.gif Im impressed with that.
  • gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2004
    Have a look here

There' a wide range of photography books reviewed
  • BobertBobert Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited December 6, 2004
    First I would like to thank everyone for the good recomendations.

I recently went to my local B&N but didn't come across the National Geographic book. but from the pics on their website and the strong review here it looks like a winner. I might try to soak up all the free info on the web first with the good links supplied here first. But the book looks like a nice x-mas gift.

Thanks again

ubergeek wrote:

Cheers,
    Jeremy
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2004
    I wonder how much it is on Amazon.com in the used group. I might look there myself. I kind of collect books. There are so many on photoshop, and I own a lot, recommending Scott Kelby on CS for those who have CS.

But I find it more difficult to find books on how to take the photos, I do have an advantage as I have been doing photography for years, some of the knowledge is coming back after a 20 yr walkabout.

Also, I like books that inspire me..........just good photos that I could maybe take. I will be in Barnes and Noble looking at a book or mag on photography, throw it down and run outside to take pictures. Those books might not teach me anything, but they can sure get me going.

I am going to check out that book the natl geo handbook on amazon.com, their used books are really new, in my experience. And usually a bargain.

There is one, a large hardback, by John Freeman. My husband, a pro photographer, told me it would be a waste of money. It may be, but it looks good to me. However it is not marked down anywhere, and since it is iffy as to its use, I am waiting until it comes down in price. It is 29.95 which is not a bad price right off.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.