Wondering Why........

Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
edited September 6, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I am wondering why my watermark follows pics posted on Dgrin?
"Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2006
    Art Scott wrote:
    I am wondering why my watermark follows pics posted on Dgrin?
    Hi Art,

Could you please elaborate, and give links or example? I'm not following your question.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Art,

Could you please elaborate, and give links or example? I'm not following your question.
    Hi Andy...
    Okay...I keep all photos at my Smuggy acct...and then I post them here or else where (photo friday for one other site...)....but this last post from a watermarked gallery had the watermark follw it here.... my dgrin post is here .......

I guess I am wrong in thinking that the watermark is a layer on top of the image and it should not follow the link provided when I (turn off protected) right clik and then clik on properties to grab the link to the photo for posting here or elsewhere.

Thanks

Art

"Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2006
    Art Scott wrote:
    Hi Andy...
    Okay...I keep all photos at my Smuggy acct...and then I post them here or else where (photo friday for one other site...)....but this last post from a watermarked gallery had the watermark follw it here.... my dgrin post ishere .......
    I guess I am wrong in thinking that the watermark is a layer on top of the image and it should not follow the link provided when I (turn off protected) right clik and then clik on properties to grab the link to the photo for posting here or elsewhere.
    Hi Art, I can't read your posts when you change the colors :D

OK, so your watermark is actually on the resized images. Not a layer over it. Your original is untouched, but the resized versions (-L, -M, -S etc) are displaying as they should.

I hope this helps!
    edited September 5, 2006
    Sorry about the color changes......wasn't trying to make things tough on you....as we all know, we over work you with our complaints and questions already.....:D Really appreciate all your help.thumb.gif

So to post an image on Dgrin without the watermarking ....I have to go into customizing and un-watermark and un-protect the image (and save changes) go bck to my gallery....right clik go to properties...copy link...post on Dgrin...go back to Customize gallery and re-watermark & protect image..save changes.......

All that just to post a non-watermarked photo????

• Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2006
    Art Scott wrote:
    Sorry about the color changes......wasn't trying to make things tough on you....as we all know, we over work you with our complaints and questions already.....:D Really appreciate all your help.thumb.gif

So to post an image on Dgrin without the watermarking ....I have to go into customizing and un-watermark and un-protect the image (and save changes) go bck to my gallery....right clik go to properties...copy link...post on Dgrin...go back to Customize gallery and re-watermark & protect image..save changes.......

The point is that the watermark is a part of the image on smugmug's servers (except for the Original size images). So, no, you can't disable the watermark, post, and then re-enable it. If you do that your watermark won't show until you re-enable it in which case it will show up again.

If you think about it, that's exactly the point of the watermark deal.gif It's a way to prevent people from nabbing your images. It wouldn't be all that effective if your watermark went away when they grabbed it mwink.gif

By the way, sort of off topic... But uh... a fuschia watermark? eek7.gif Um eew.

Just one man's opinion...
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
    edited September 5, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    The point is that the watermark is a part of the image on smugmug's servers (except for the Original size images). So, no, you can't disable the watermark, post, and then re-enable it. If you do that your watermark won't show until you re-enable it in which case it will show up again.

If you think about it, that's exactly the point of the watermark deal.gif It's a way to prevent people from nabbing your images. It wouldn't be all that effective if your watermark went away when they grabbed it mwink.gif

eek7.gifYour kidding right...watermarks are supposed to help prevent print nabbing.....:D yeah I know that....however I believe if I am signed in to my control site that "I" ...me...should be able to right clik on a pic go to its prperties and copy that link to post here in challenges or any thread and not have that watermark showing up here or USA101 or Photofriday or any where else I need to post for various challenges.....
    All right I will just up a gallery specifily for posting to challenges using very low rez copy pics so I can grab the exif from the original files......

By the way, sort of off topic... But uh... a fuschia watermark? eek7.gif Um eew.
    yeah it is ugly unless you is of course and overly extremely happy kinda person....the intent is just that it grabs your eye and it stands out....would you steal any photo with type of watermark....I wouldn't...same reason it isn't in a straight line......

Just one man's opinion...

Thanks Mike.....

• JBurtJBurt Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2006
    Art Scott wrote:

I set up a private gallery and load low res images without watermarks there. I do however, usually have my sig or a logo on the image.
    Tis sometimes better to be a big fish in a small pond than to be shark bait.

http://jburtphotos.com
    http://jburtphotos.smugmug.com
    Basic but makin' changes