NHB Soccer Tourney

SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
edited September 5, 2006 in Sports
Took some snaps of the North Huntington Beach Soccer tourney at UC Irvine this weekend.

Usual disclaimer of the snaps are for the parents and participates so I am not as dicriminating with my posts as they seem to enjoy the crummy equally as well as the not-so-crummy.

My snaps can be found here:
http://garyayala.smugmug.com/gallery/1854758

93064902-L.jpg
Unsharp at any Speed

Comments

• Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2006
    gary,
    Very good shots as those in the gallery.

Regards. thumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2006
    THANX for sharing these great images. Im assuming you used the canon 200 f/2.8. I noticed that basically you use aperature priority and change the ISO to keep shutter speed fast (1/1500 -1/2000 ).
    was curious if this is your preferred technique or do you use AI Servo also?
    the sports mode?
    just trying to get a feel for how to best shoot soccer.......

troy
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2006
    gary,
    Very good shots as those in the gallery.

Regards. thumb.gif

Thanks Antonio. Finally able to get out some and shoot a bit.

Gary
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2006
    windoze wrote:
    THANX for sharing these great images. Im assuming you used the canon 200 f/2.8. I noticed that basically you use aperature priority and change the ISO to keep shutter speed fast (1/1500 -1/2000 ).
    was curious if this is your preferred technique or do you use AI Servo also?
    the sports mode?
    just trying to get a feel for how to best shoot soccer.......

troy

Normally I would shoot in 'M'. But with the ever changing lighting, shade from trees, changing of direction ... I tend to shoot daylight soccer in AV and as open as I can for shallow DOF (hoping to blur out distracting bacground), used the Canon 70-200 2.8 at 2.8 and the Sigma 50-500 at 4.5 to 6.3 (depending on my zoom ... essentially wide open). With action photos, Image Impact is more important than Image Quality ... so I try not to worry about a low ISO, I tend to crank it up just to make sure I have very fast shutter speeds. 1/500 should be plenty fast to stop action (not taking into account rule of thumb for lenses) ... but I have found that sometimes there is a minute blur of the extremities (a head snap or hand/foot) ... so personally I try to keep my shutter at 1/1000+ just as a safety net sort of thing.

And I was in AI Servo.

Gary
    Unsharp at any Speed