Options

Rumor: Canon EOS 40D

cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
edited August 21, 2007 in Cameras
You knew it had to be coming, right?

http://gadgets.fosfor.se/canon-eos-40d/
Canon EOS 40D will be unveiled on September 26th - at least if you trust the word on the street. Even though the Canon EOS 30D haven’t been around for too long its quite a logical step to launch a 10.1 megapixel camera in the semipro segment (hey, the amateur segment even has one, 400D).

Here’s what we know: 1.6x 10.1M CMOS senor (30D has 1.6x 8.2M CMOS Sensor)
Anti-dust feature New!
2.5 inch LCD (30D has 2.5 inch LCD)
9 focus points
(30D has 9 focus points)
5 fps (30D has 5fps)
Compact flash based memory cards (same as 30D).
And yes, the photo is a mockup.
Thanks Peter!

Comments

• Options
    TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2006
    cmason wrote:
    You knew it had to be coming, right?

http://gadgets.fosfor.se/canon-eos-40d/

Doesn't seem like the 30D has been around long enough for the 40D to be announced already. I just bought a 20D new in January, and we're now two generations away from it in September?
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    SpeshulEdSpeshulEd Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2006
    so a few more mp's and an anti dust feature...hmm, I'm content with the 20D.

Actually, I'm waiting for the next version of the 5D to come out. I'd like to go full frame.
    bored? check out my photo site...and if you have the time, leave a comment or rate some pictures while you're there.
    Canon 20D | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD IF | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2006
    TristanP wrote:
    Doesn't seem like the 30D has been around long enough for the 40D to be announced already. I just bought a 20D new in January, and we're now two generations away from it in September?

I bet that when the 30D was announced, the A100 and D80 were not on the radar screen. Nikon and Sony have upped the anty, ahead of Canon...that does not happen often.

I would expect Canon to move fast, who care what the numbers are or when they last shipped...
  • Options
    TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2006
    Has Canon stopped production on the 20d? My hope is that all these "successors" will drive the price of the 20d down so I can have one on the cheap. Be a nice upgrade from my 10d, and it wold be nice to know just how many shots are on the clock (I bought mine secondhand).
    http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L
  • Options
    illuminati919illuminati919 Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2006
    All of these upgrades Canon is doing is pretty lame, they are all identical to the 20D, they might as well invest their time into building a camera which will make a bigger impact in the photography community, they're just wasting time and money putting out identical cameras with tiny different little features.
    ~~~www.markoknezevic.com~~~

Setup: One camera, one lens, and one roll of film.
  • Options
    JCDossJCDoss Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2006
    So why are you all believing this rumor? Seems kind of like BS to me. eek7.gif
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2006
    Agreed, too soon since the 30D. I'd expect something in the 1D series first.

I also don't see the A100 as raising any ante, the specs are underwhleming & the reviews here back that up & more. Seems the XT had it handled & the XTi even more so--and that's really the competition there, not the 20D/30D.

Tyle, look at prices. The 30D has indeed driven 20D prices down. I expect what's on the shelf & in the pipeline is all there is of the 20D.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,205 moderator
    edited August 3, 2007
    Look quick before they take it down...
    Here.

&

Here.

&

Here.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2007
    TristanP wrote:

Canon has been following a fairly regular cycle from one product announcement to the next in this market segment:
    30D - 02/2006 (18 months from previous model)
    20D - 08/2004 (18 months from previous model)
    10D - 02/2003 (12 months from previous model)
    D60 - 02/2002 (21 months from previous model)
    D30 - 05/2000

An August announcement with availability in the months following would be pretty typical of their timeline for the past 7 years. Now, nothing says that they have to follow the same pattern, but... ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2007
    What I don't understand is that some people are taking several of these rumor sites so seriously. Who would believe that Canon would place a Digic II chip in a 40D when the Digic III is (has been) in all their P&S models? Or that they'd backpedal and use a 2.5" LCD on the back?

3" and Digic III seem a no-brainer. sRAW would also fall into that catagory. Some have reported a flexible ISO scale with no provision for the user to specify ISO at all. Huh?

I deliberately left out the other 10 sites that report the Digic II specs above because I just found that info too stoopid.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2007
    credit card is twitching!
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2007
    CSwinton wrote:
    Canon has been following a fairly regular cycle from one product announcement to the next in this market segment:
    30D - 02/2006 (18 months from previous model)
    20D - 08/2004 (18 months from previous model)
    10D - 02/2003 (12 months from previous model)

Exactly my point, since the 10D release they are on a 18 month timeline. I think it is likely they will stay on this timeline.

Also with the gradual price decrease with the 30D I think they are ready for the 40D to be announced.

Also the gradual price decrease of the 5D I forsee the next body in that line could be soon. According to dpreview's timeline (which confirst the dates above) the 5D was announced in August 2005.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2007
    I would expect a 5D replacement before a 30D replacement. It would make more sense since the 5D hasn't been updated yet.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • Options
    CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2007
    Red Bull wrote:
    I would expect a 5D replacement before a 30D replacement. It would make more sense since the 5D hasn't been updated yet.

The only thing is that there is no direct competition to the 5D whereas the 30D has competition from several manufacturers. Also, the volume of 30D sales is MUCH higher - the 5D is more of a niche market at the moment. From a business perspective, they'll likely lose more $ by not updating the 30D to keep its share in that market segment. We'll find out soon I guess. mwink.gif
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2007
    The 400D and 30D were not that far apart so I don't see why the 5D and 30D can't be close if not the same day. ne_nau.gifmwink.gif
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2007
    Amazes me how PPL are so suckered into Technology!
    Actually upgrade everytime a new product comes out.
    I call it "Sucker Marketing" . :D

It's P H O T O G R A P H Y not Technology that makes a photo!! thumb.gif
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2007
    Amazes me how PPL are so suckered into Technology!
    Actually upgrade everytime a new product comes out.
    I call it "Sucker Marketing" . :D
    It's P H O T O G R A P H Y not Technology that makes a photo!! thumb.gif

Yup. I tend to skip a few cams before I upgrade. That, and my other computer still runs WIN95, and my automobile is even older.

If I want 20MP pictures, I'll just stitch a few together. Works just fine. When the 5DMkII comes out, I'll probably upgrade from my 20D (after the early adopters work every bug out of it). It is fun to sit back and watch how the tech advances through each new model.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:
    Yup. I tend to skip a few cams before I upgrade. That, and my other computer still runs WIN95, and my automobile is even older.

If I want 20MP pictures, I'll just stitch a few together. Works just fine. When the 5DMkII comes out, I'll probably upgrade from my 20D (after the early adopters work every bug out of it). It is fun to sit back and watch how the tech advances through each new model.
    More important...if people didnt buy the latest models then we wouldnt have such a great 2nd hand market. My next camera will be a mkII & i recon by the time my 20D & 30D are dead ..the mkII will be a great buy.

People...you have my full permission to buy what ever you like thumb.gif
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2007
    Coming Soon!
    The funniest thing about this thread is the original date (of the first post) - Spetember 5, 2006! eek7.gif

My advanced math tells me that was ... 11 months ago! :giggle :giggle :giggle
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2007
    jdryan3 wrote:
    The funniest thing about this thread is the original date (of the first post) - Spetember 5, 2006! eek7.gif

My advanced math tells me that was ... 11 months ago! :giggle :giggle :giggle

There was an ~11 month span between post #8 and post #9 of this thread. Someone dug up an old one and brought it back to life.

Yep the fact that someone wanted to start the rumor on the 40D a mere 6 months after the anouncement of the 30D was a little too soon.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    salazarsalazar Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    I've recently noticed the Canadian version of Canon's Cash Back Rebate Program runs till september 3rd. I don't imagine we'll see any new models released before the program ends? The Program covers the 5D and 30D bodies along with a number of speedlights and lenses.
    Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    things that make you go "hmmmm"

http://www.upcdatabase.com/item.asp?upc=013803086607

http://www.gerenm.net/2007/08/08/40d-looks-more-real-now-maybe/

as in "hmmm, maybe I can start finding 30's on the used-car lots and replace my 10 this year" mwink.gif
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,887 moderator
    edited August 8, 2007
    StevenV wrote:
    things that make you go "hmmmm"

http://www.gerenm.net/2007/08/08/40d-looks-more-real-now-maybe/

as in "hmmm, maybe I can start finding 30's on the used-car lots and replace my 10 this year" mwink.gif

The UPC barcode is fairly evidentiary, but I am still waiting for the Canon EOS Digital 70D:

http://www.upcdatabase.com/item.asp?upc=082966214202

headscratch.gifne_nau.gifcry
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Steve CSteve C Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 8, 2007
    More circumstantial evidence, (from Best Buy)...
    http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/08/canons-eos-40d-dslr-coming-next-month/
  • Options
    Duckys54Duckys54 Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    A few things...
    On DPreview, why is the 20D more expensive than the 30D?

Also, do you think the price of the 400D / Rebel XTi will be affected when the 40D comes out? Because a 2.5" LCD would be nice bonus along with a price drop.

Although, it would be nice to have a dSLR in general :D
    I am Trevor and I have upgraded:
    Canon 40D
    Canon EF-S 17-85 IS

http://www.flickr.com/trevaftw
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,887 moderator
    edited August 10, 2007
    Duckys54 wrote:
    On DPreview, why is the 20D more expensive than the 30D?

I suspect the 20D "Street Price" for the 20D is mucked up in the DPReview database, because they also list that street price for the Canon 20Da, which is the scientific/astronomy version of the camera. Of course, only DPReview knows why they do anything that they do.
    Duckys54 wrote:
    Also, do you think the price of the 400D / Rebel XTi will be affected when the 40D comes out? Because a 2.5" LCD would be nice bonus along with a price drop.

Although, it would be nice to have a dSLR in general :D

I suspect that a Canon model 450D would have more impact on the price of the 400D/XTi than the 40D would. The XTi is in a different market segment than the 10D/20D/30D (40D?) are aimed for.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    howardhoward Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited August 10, 2007
    You may be in luck?

ziggy53 wrote:
    The UPC barcode is fairly evidentiary, but I am still waiting for the Canon EOS Digital 70D:

http://www.upcdatabase.com/item.asp?upc=082966214202

headscratch.gifne_nau.gifcry
  • Options
    GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:

My kinda guy David! thumb.gif
    Well cept for the WIN95....that's going lil to far for me...eshhhhhh :D
    As for a auto.....if it's 10yrs old it's new to me!
    My one is a 1993 and the other is a 1992....they look decent and get me from point A to point B.....no payments or super expensive up keep.....that's all I want. ne_nau.gif

Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2007
    Come on ... LIVE VIEW!!

Wish Canon would include a quick 'raw' button to switch it on and off so we can switch raw on and off on the fly.

When the heck is Canon going to put a built in IS into their darn bodies!?
    Come on people, lets boycott IS lenses!!
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2007
    mr peas wrote:

When the heck is Canon going to put a built in IS into their darn bodies!?
    Come on people, lets boycott IS lenses!!

No.

Telephoto needs the IS in the lens not the body for best results.
    I prefer a fast prime with great ISO performance than on camera IS for anything not telephoto, so I hope Canon stays the way it is.

You can always sell your Canon equipment and go with Sony if body IS is so important.