Oksana (5 img)

Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
edited September 7, 2006 in People
Good day (morning/night)!
These were made several weeks ago, but only now (...Its Raining outside - and thats not unususal - remember the song 'Rain' of Uriah Heep?) I have some time for edition and postprocess work....
Again different variants...
It'll be interesting to know your opinion...
4170.jpg
2 Yes, that me, Yuri there :-)
4171.jpg
4172.jpg

4 Wide angle used here:
4173.jpg
5 Just classic?
4174.jpg

Comments

• SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2006
    Yuri,

Spectacular as usual. My initial thought when I saw the first photo was that is seems like idiots all over the world have to write, and vandalize enerything they can. I have seen graffiti spray painted over 4000 year old petroglyphs.

Number 5 is ........great!

Sam
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2006
    Yuri-

Question for you ... in California we typically find graffiti, of the kind you used as a backdrop, only in the run-down/poorer neighborhoods of our cities. In the photo with the reflective glasses ... the buildings look to be a newish, government/university type area ... is this the normal for your city or Russia in general?

Okay, to your photos... #1- too much contrast between the jacket and the surroundings (unless it was an advertisement for the jacket). I like the sepia, the dark sidewalk, feet and pant are bothersome.

#2- wow ... what a great face ... I gotta get to Russia to see all these wonderfully attractive women mano-y-mano. Your reflection is a bit distracting.

#3- Interesting in an odd way ... I don't get the intent ... she looks to be deep in thought ... almost praying ... but the wall is so prominient I cannot get the connection between prayer and the wall ...

#4- I like the placement of Oksana but not her poise. I would like to see something more model-like something more purposeful ... this shot, although well executed, looks more like a snapshot ... also I think her skin is a touch too dark ... you need a few more gray zones in her and the photo.

#5- "Just a classic" ... Yes. Well executed, beautiful shot without a ton of studio gear ... well done Yuri.

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2006
    Gary!
    Spasibo for your helpful critique! I need it SSSoo much!
    Yuri
    edited September 5, 2006
    Spasibo, Sam!
    Yuri
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2006
    Yuri,
    While I'm pretty much second Gary's comments, I can't help but saying that I like your new style. thumb.gif

And you can't lose with classic:-) mwink.gif

Cheers! 1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited September 6, 2006
    Spasibo, Nikolai!
    Yuri
  • stephcha@nmsu.edustephcha@nmsu.edu Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited September 6, 2006
    as always you portraits are simply amazing! i really like he graffiti ones in this set. Always a pleasure looking at your pics

quoting Yuri " 'Rain' of Uriah Heep?" well as far as that goes..... i remember that song only because a got a CD (the magician birthday) in middle school. My buddy gave it to me and i feel in love with it..... little to find out his dad was the lead singer of the band. i met mick when i was in middle school and he was in las cruces new mexico visiting with his son myki. mick came down to our talent show and saw us play smells like teen sprit by nirvana in 7th grade (1991-1992). it was totally cool having a rock star watch us try to act like rock stars. His sone myki still lives in new mexico and has been in several local bands such as lylah, and words like knives. Myki is an AMAZING drummer!!!

steve

steve
  • tomthephotographertomthephotographer Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited September 6, 2006
    Ok I have been watching you long enough to have to ask Yuri my friend is the graffiti real or did you add it once more???

great work either way.
    Canon 40D. Lens Sigma 170-500, Tamron 75-300, Quantaray 19-35,
    Bogan Tripod. Gaint Yukon 25' Bike,

Like it or not we most often get what we deserve in the end.
    edited September 6, 2006
    Ok I have been watching you long enough to have to ask Yuri my friend is the graffiti real or did you add it once more???

great work either way.
    Ha-ha-ha - you've made my day!!!!
    Yuri
    edited September 6, 2006
    as always you portraits are simply amazing! i really like he graffiti ones in this set. Always a pleasure looking at your pics

quoting Yuri " 'Rain' of Uriah Heep?" well as far as that goes..... i remember that song only because a got a CD (the magician birthday) in middle school. My buddy gave it to me and i feel in love with it..... little to find out his dad was the lead singer of the band. i met mick when i was in middle school and he was in las cruces new mexico visiting with his son myki. mick came down to our talent show and saw us play smells like teen sprit by nirvana in 7th grade (1991-1992). it was totally cool having a rock star watch us try to act like rock stars. His sone myki still lives in new mexico and has been in several local bands such as lylah, and words like knives. Myki is an AMAZING drummer!!!

steve

steve

Oh, Steve! What a wonderful story!!!
    Spasibo for it!
    Yuri
  • asamuelasamuel Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2006
    My critique is going to be based on the model and the style of the pictures...and here I will take a big gulp of air.

There is a conflict in the pictures that I dont t hink sits well, whilst the image and the post processing are of good quality (I for one have taken Uris tutorials).

The models dress is at odds with her assets. She has classic features and a more sophisticated look. But she is wearing a combination of things at odds with this and her over all look is kind of gordy. Now before you hit me.
    This can work but the reason that it isn't is that her pose/position is still so timid and shy. She looks like shes been taken out of a gucci shop, dressed and put in the hood.

Now, for me this whole shoot could work, more attitude more angular poses. More " Im and good looking well off woman , but I'm risky and if you will permit me to say .....dirty"

Or we could tone down the womans dress, button it up, maybe take off some makeup , pop her in a field or lawn...sipping a g&t and hey presto we have sophistication.

Thats my humble opinion, I hope I dont regret it.

p.s. I think for everyone if you look at fashion magazines you could see very good use of juxtaposition, model, style and dress, particularly ID.
    where's the cheese at?

http://www.samuelbedford.com
    edited September 7, 2006
    asamuel wrote:
    My critique is going to be based on the model and the style of the pictures...and here I will take a big gulp of air.

There is a conflict in the pictures that I dont t hink sits well, whilst the image and the post processing are of good quality (I for one have taken Uris tutorials).

The models dress is at odds with her assets. She has classic features and a more sophisticated look. But she is wearing a combination of things at odds with this and her over all look is kind of gordy. Now before you hit me.
    This can work but the reason that it isn't is that her pose/position is still so timid and shy. She looks like shes been taken out of a gucci shop, dressed and put in the hood.

Now, for me this whole shoot could work, more attitude more angular poses. More " Im and good looking well off woman , but I'm risky and if you will permit me to say .....dirty"

Or we could tone down the womans dress, button it up, maybe take off some makeup , pop her in a field or lawn...sipping a g&t and hey presto we have sophistication.

Thats my humble opinion, I hope I dont regret it.

p.s. I think for everyone if you look at fashion magazines you could see very good use of juxtaposition, model, style and dress, particularly ID.

Agree with you!
    Yes, dress means much (sometimes ~90%)!!!
    During my photosessions I ask my 'models' (so called models - cause in fact we play the game called session) to take some 'unusual dress with them - cause usual dress kills the art in portraits and make them snaps...
    In this case I had what I had - this lady came in this dress (imagine my feelings when I saw this white white white...!!!!)
    But... she asked me to take some photos of her and I had to do my best - the only solution in this situation could be putting her upper dress off (at least partly - what we finaly did)...
    Again spasibo for your very helpful critique!
    Yuri
  • asamuelasamuel Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2006
    Having read some of your past posts. I knew that your models are more than often not professionals (thats what I understand). How much we can ask of such willing (yet vunerable) subjects is limited. We cannot push too much because they will not be psychologically prepared to be our puppets/canvas. But we can still SEE what we want. I am glad you appreciated my critique. I do not live or practice my suggestions yet but they are considerations in my mindseye.

cheers
    where's the cheese at?

http://www.samuelbedford.com