turning 5

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited September 6, 2006 in People
OK, so I posted this in the "stillness" challenge, but it was my first post to DG and probably not a good choice for a first post because the challenge is a picture only deal (look for comments elsewhere). I hope it's OK that I'm posting this here and now.

I'd like to get better at natural light portraiture (I just checked out Audrey Woulard's site, thanks to someone's link). I'd appreciate any thoughts on this shot from you people shooters out there...

How are the skin tones? composition? lighting? something to change for next time?

Thanks!

Elaine

91585573-L.jpg
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• ZoeZoe Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited September 5, 2006
    He's adorable! The lighting is good. DOF is great. It looks a little soft on the eyes, though, like the focus was more to the hair/hands just in front of the eyes.

Color might be on the cool side. How did you set the white balance?

Hey, I just checked out your smugmug, and it looks like we are neighbors? I love your macro stuff! That's why I ventured over to this forum, to get inspired to try other things, besides just children's portraits.
    Zoe (Nikon toys)
    zb Photography
    Blog
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2006
    Zoe wrote:
    He's adorable! The lighting is good. DOF is great. It looks a little soft on the eyes, though, like the focus was more to the hair/hands just in front of the eyes.

Color might be on the cool side. How did you set the white balance?

Hey, I just checked out your smugmug, and it looks like we are neighbors? I love your macro stuff! That's why I ventured over to this forum, to get inspired to try other things, besides just children's portraits.

Thanks, Zoe! Yes, it would appear we are neighbors (nice looking website, by the way!) I'm happy to call the Great Pacific Northwest my home!

Your comment regarding the soft eyes has confirmed for me that I need to get my camera into the shop ASAP! I did some testing awhile back, and my camera seems to be doing some front focusing, particularly at wider apertures. I've been avoiding using my widest apertures, which is frustrating, since that's why I purchased certain lenses to begin with. (Sigh...) I agree about the bit on the cool side. I warmed it some in post processing, but I think it could use a tad more. I think I forgot to check my white balance and had it on auto (oops)!

Anyway, thanks for commenting! :):

Elaine
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography