Separate sections to manage our separate lives!

drexvildrexvil Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited September 6, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Hi, I have 2 uses for smugmug: to show friends & family pictures I have of them, and to show the rest of the world the prettier pics of this budding photographer. Just loading all my thousands of pictures online, the good ones get lost in the clutter...no one even bothers to visit them. BUT, if I just upload the good ones, then people say to me "why didn't you put the pictures of me winning the fire-farting contest...??". :crazy

I would like to separate my pics into 2 subaccounts: one for the common social pics and the other for my handful of nice pics I've acquired while traveling. I don't want to spend more $$$ for another acct just for the nice pics, since there are so few. I could just put the nice pics into it's own gallery, but I'd like to keep a formal separation between the photographer-me and social-life-me.

Can this be done? I bet many out there have faced the same things, esp the amateur photographers. It would cost Smugmug nothing since I would still be within my account limits.

Pleeeeeeeeeeaseeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!:wink

Comments

• BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2006
    I've done something similar to this, however my second site is just designed as a spearately branded sub-site within the main site.

http://www.primarycolors.com (main site)
    http://www.templevista.com (sub site)

Now if you just have personal stuff that you don't want linked from the main site, make the galleries private (but not protected). They will still be accessible via a direct link but they won't show up on your main site. You could also set up a specific category for these personal galleries and if the category only contains private galleries it will show up on your site. Then you just need to either set up a web page somewhere with links to the private galleries or give out each individual gallery link directly.

Back to my example, I could make all of my Temple Vista galleries private, turn off the breadcrumbs that gets you back to the main site and then set up direct links to the galleries from my www.templevista.com home page (hosted on my own server) to make it a completely separate site within my one account.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2006
    What I'm doing so far is I have a category specifically for family & friends. Right now there's only a handful of galleries for family, all in a sharegroup & the galleries are private. It limits the organization options, but works so far.