gallery organization

mikebaum@vp-photo.commikebaum@vp-photo.com Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited September 7, 2006 in SmugMug Support
newb here. Can someone point me to the organizational tutorial. I saw it somewhere early on and now can't find it.

But there are some specifics someone might be able to help me with. I have a photo project involving thousands of aerial photos. I want to organize things right the first time. The google map thing works great but I'm nervous about loading thousands of pictures at one time. So I thought I would divide them up into counties. I also could divide them into saltwater and freshwater. Should I put all the photos in one gallery and then subs for the counties or do a new gallery for each county. 1-2 thousand pix per county.

Thanks, Mike

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2006
    newb here. Can someone point me to the organizational tutorial. I saw it somewhere early on and now can't find it.

But there are some specifics someone might be able to help me with. I have a photo project involving thousands of aerial photos. I want to organize things right the first time. The google map thing works great but I'm nervous about loading thousands of pictures at one time. So I thought I would divide them up into counties. I also could divide them into saltwater and freshwater. Should I put all the photos in one gallery and then subs for the counties or do a new gallery for each county. 1-2 thousand pix per county.

Thanks, Mike

Hi Mike, wave.gif Welcome to Dgrin!
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/arrange-albums
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/upload-photo

See if those help, and ask any questions here.
  • dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2006

Thanks, Mike
    My rules of thumb... for whom it may interest...
    1. select the best photos for upload, don't upload several versions of the same pic, pick the best one. If I shoot 200 pics on a day's outing, I usually end up with 50-60 worthy ones.
    2. I create galleries per "event" or "outing" or whatever it was... I use keywords to pull pics together from several galleries as needed. (if I go to the zoo in January, then again in May, that is 2 galleries for me... then I can use keywords to pull up all the pictures of gorillas, or birds, etc.)
    3. limit number of pics per gallery. I try to keep it between 30 and 60... in Journal mode, that is 6 pages.
    4. I use category view
    5. I limit the number of categories to around 8 - don't hesitate to make custom ones if needed.
    6. The number of pics for your event dictates the organization. If an event fits in one gallery (~60 pics) then into a gallery they go, under the appropriate category. If the event has several hundred pics, then break them into multiple galleries, then create a sub-category that would group those galleries together for you.
    Example we talked about recently...
    I went to about 3 weddings and took some pics. Each of those wedding's pics went into their own gallery, and they all were in the Weddings category. Then I got married. I had several hundred pics from wedding preparations, family in town, family parties before the wedding, the wedding, the honeymoon, ... and recently, the first anniversary. I created galleries for each of these "events", assigned them to the Weddings category, and sub-category called "ours".

Another example... I have many galleries in my Family category... it got to be too many, so I grouped all the birthday galleries into a sub-category "birthdays" within the Family category, that cleaned up the screen.

good luck

My site is here
  • mikebaum@vp-photo.commikebaum@vp-photo.com Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited September 7, 2006
    Thanks Andy and David,

I'm just going to start doing it. Andy, I studied your links and will revisit them after I've built a couple of galleries. David, all my shoreline photos are unique so I cannot pick and choose. If I make a gallery for each county it might have 2000 pictures in it. I don't know if that will work. See http://apps.ecy.wa.gov/shorephotos/ for the first set I shot in the early nineties.

Thanks, Mike
  • dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2006
    Thanks Andy and David,

I'm just going to start doing it. Andy, I studied your links and will revisit them after I've built a couple of galleries. David, all my shoreline photos are unique so I cannot pick and choose. If I make a gallery for each county it might have 2000 pictures in it. I don't know if that will work. See http://apps.ecy.wa.gov/shorephotos/ for the first set I shot in the early nineties.

Thanks, Mike
    interesting challenge you have here...

What attributes do you have available to you on these pictures? You mentioned a couple like:
    • Salt Water
    • Fresh Water
    • County
    What other attributes are there that would be meaningful?

I think between the "Map this" feature, categories, sub-cat's, galleries, and keywords, you should be able to organize it fairly well.

County with "thousands" of pics sounds too big.... how about Salt Water as a Category, then Sub-cats for the Counties in the Category with galleries of pics by City (in that county):

Category: Salt Water
    Sub Category: San Diego County
    Galleries:
    • Oceanside
    • Carlsbad
    • Encinitas
    • Del Mar
    • Solana Beach
    • La Jolla
    • Pacific Beach
    If it is Time sensitive, you could create a second Sub Category like:
    San Diego County 2006
    Then repeat all the City Galleries again within it.

Then I would select maybe 1 pic from each gallery and put it on "Map This" (to minimize the number of flags on the map)... so if someone clicked on a pic on the map, they could "go to that gallery" within the City, within the County, of type Salt water. etc.

You also could reverse my example and have Categories by County, then Sub-cats for Fresh Water, Salt Water, then city galleries within those... hmmmm

This is fun...keep us posted.