Options

the dreaded holiday portrait

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited December 8, 2004 in People
my dw likes to put a pic of my youngest in with our holiday cards. well today was the day that i got the hellish assignment of having to shoot a for-real shot of my squirming worm of a five-year old :)

honey, why not use one of the great candids i've got of him?" i ask. "oh no, it's *got* to be a fresh photo - taken this month - today in fact!" (those of you with wives will understand why i didn't argue this point....)

i think i've aged 10 years today. sigh.

i pleaded, cajoled, bribed, begged. he was a hostile witness, your honor!

12324995-L.jpg
12326519-L.jpg
if you like, you can see the out-takes here in this animated gif :D **warning** it is about 2 megabytes and it's right here

enjoy (holiday portrait) photography,

Comments

• Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2004
    Ah,come on Andy,you had fun and you know it 1drink.gif

Nice image and I liked the animationthumb.gif
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2004
    Nice job Andy! Try four at a time, ages 10 mos, 3 yr., 4 yr & 6 yrs. The whole shoot lasted about 5 minutes before the uprising. Then chaos set in.

12245949-M.jpg

I like the shot of your son with his chin on his hand. That kid has alot of personality. That expression reminds me of my third one.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2004
    tmlphoto wrote:
    Nice job Andy! Try four at a time, ages 10 mos, 3 yr., 4 yr & 6 yrs. The whole shoot lasted about 5 minutes before the uprising. Then chaos set in.

I like the shot of your son with his chin on his hand. That kid has alot of personality. That expression reminds me of my third one.

thanks thomas, yeah, i just posted that shot, too. four, that's like herding cats, eh? nice job :D
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited December 5, 2004
    andy wrote:
    my dw likes to put a pic of my youngest in with our holiday cards. well today was the day that i got the hellish assignment of having to shoot a for-real shot of my squirming worm of a five-year old :)

honey, why not use one of the great candids i've got of him?" i ask. "oh no, it's *got* to be a fresh photo - taken this month - today in fact!" (those of you with wives will understand why i didn't argue this point....)

i think i've aged 10 years today. sigh.

i pleaded, cajoled, bribed, begged. he was a hostile witness, your honor!

12326519-M.jpg
    if you like, you can see the out-takes here in this animated gif :D **warning** it is about 2 megabytes and it's right here

enjoy (holiday portrait) photography,

Aw, come on, Andy - He is gorgeous. What a shot - kind of posed, but absolutely lovely too - The girls are gonna love him in a few years... Be prepared!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2004
    Hey Andy, I hope you don't mind me messing around a little. The darkness of his eyes kind of bothered me so I lightened them up a little. What do you think?

12335133-L.jpg

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2004
    tmlphoto wrote:
    Hey Andy, I hope you don't mind me messing around a little. The darkness of his eyes kind of bothered me so I lightened them up a little. What do you think?

12335133-S.jpg

yeah, i need an eye tutorial. i like the effect - please describe what you did, and will it stand up to a big print? i know when you start messin with the blue color, it can get noisy....

thanks thomas!
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2004
    Fantastic shots guys - both of you! Beautiful offspring!

Andy, I'm with you 100% on the 'wife issue' mwink.gif

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2004
    andy wrote:
    yeah, i need an eye tutorial. i like the effect - please describe what you did, and will it stand up to a big print? i know when you start messin with the blue color, it can get noisy....

thanks thomas!
    All I did was use the dodge tool, sized to match the iris. I think it took about 5 clicks on each side. You can see the effect as you go. Just click and go!

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2004
    thanks mike
    MHJS wrote:
    Ah,come on Andy,you had fun and you know it 1drink.gif

Nice image and I liked the animationthumb.gif

appreciate your comments :D
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2004
    Good job Andy. Here's my "Christmas photo"...
    12403904-L.jpg

You've got a cute kid there, Andy. He's very photogenic.

This is my son, daughter-in-law, and grandkids. I took this while we were walking in the woods during our Thanksgiving visit to New Canaan. The boys are 7. It's not too hard to get a picture of them, but they are starting to get those stiff, self conscious smiles. Have to catch them off guard.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2004
    Nir wrote:
    Fantastic shots guys - both of you! Beautiful offspring!

Andy, I'm with you 100% on the 'wife issue' mwink.gif

hey thanks, nir :D
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2004
    snappy
    snapapple wrote:
    12403904-S.jpg

You've got a cute kid there, Andy. He's very photogenic.

This is my son, daughter-in-law, and grandkids. I took this while we were walking in the woods during our Thanksgiving visit to New Canaan. The boys are 7. It's not too hard to get a picture of them, but they are starting to get those stiff, self conscious smiles. Have to catch them off guard.

nice - i like the dangling feet :D