Options

WTB/OPINION: Apple PowerBook G4/867 12"

photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
edited September 9, 2006 in The Kitchen Sink
I have the opportunity to pickup on of these little guys and I welcome the chance to broaden my horizons a bit. Anyone have strong pos/neg opinions about this model? I'm waiting on the final word about what all it'll come with, but I've been told about $500 will make it mine.

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2006
    photodoug wrote:
    I have the opportunity to pickup on of these little guys and I welcome the chance to broaden my horizons a bit. Anyone have strong pos/neg opinions about this model? I'm waiting on the final word about what all it'll come with, but I've been told about $500 will make it mine.

It depends on how tight your budget is. I would get the MacBook, first. Better machine, more up to date. Does it come with AppleCare? If so, how much time's left on the warranty?

Also, I don't know, but 500 seems a touch steep to me. I'd be thinking $400, but you should check completed auctions on ebay or something like that.

Bottom line: if you can afford it, get a new MacIntel laptop.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    SuperJaredSuperJared Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2006
    photodoug wrote:

I don't like the screens on the 12" model. It's got that washed out look, whereas the 15" and 17" models are gorgeous. This may be difficult in dialing in the tone of your photos, even if you calibrate it.

And I agree with DavidTO -- $500 seems a bit much.
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2006
    ebay seems to show lots of boxes going for $600 and up. I see brand new macbooks from apple from $1100 to $1500. Now it's not so simple.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2006
    Depends what you want to use it for. If it is merely a field machine that you will hang a card reader off of, then fine. But I would not buy it as a main machine. It's got "limited" written all over it. Limited pixels (1024x768), limited RAM capacity, no card slot, MacTracker says its USB ports are only USB 1.1 (12Mbps, you better use a FireWire card reader), no FireWire 800...I never liked that machine. I currently and happily use the next model up: the 15" G4 PowerBook. I agree, I'd buy a MacBook before I'd buy a 12" PowerBook.
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2006
    colourbox wrote:
    Depends what you want to use it for. If it is merely a field machine that you will hang a card reader off of, then fine. But I would not buy it as a main machine. It's got "limited" written all over it. Limited pixels (1024x768), limited RAM capacity, no card slot, MacTracker says its USB ports are only USB 1.1 (12Mbps, you better use a FireWire card reader), no FireWire 800...I never liked that machine. I currently and happily use the next model up: the 15" G4 PowerBook. I agree, I'd buy a MacBook before I'd buy a 12" PowerBook.

I have main computer(s), so this is just a get-to-know-me machine. I'd like to break it and rebuild it (software speaking), make it work well on a Windows network and learn to optimize supporting it as well as any PC on the same network. Getting to know OSX will be cool too.

As is with any PC tho....working on a box that just cranks slowly along sucks. Will the PowerBook feel that way with OSX running on 640mb ram?

After you add a bit of ram and get applecare, their cheapest box is $1500, so there's $1,000 worth of justification I need to do. True, one requires cash and the other can be charged....less of an initial hit.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2006
    photodoug wrote:
    As is with any PC tho....working on a box that just cranks slowly along sucks. Will the PowerBook feel that way with OSX running on 640mb ram?

After you add a bit of ram and get applecare, their cheapest box is $1500, so there's $1,000 worth of justification I need to do. True, one requires cash and the other can be charged....less of an initial hit.

Yes, it'll crawl. You would need to upgrade the RAM, IMO. No Mac user should be working with less than 1GB.

Get the RAM from crucial, should be cheaper. You also have a year to decide on AppleCare, so I'd wait...JUST DON'T FORGET! One day over, and you're hosed. But if you put a reminder in your calendar you should be all set.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2006
    photodoug wrote:
    I have main computer(s), so this is just a get-to-know-me machine. I'd like to break it and rebuild it (software speaking), make it work well on a Windows network and learn to optimize supporting it as well as any PC on the same network. Getting to know OSX will be cool too.

Then it will be OK if you aren't using it for photos. 1GB would be better. A 12" PowerBook actually makes a great little light-duty machine (leave around the house for browsing, e-mail, blog posting, streaming music/video playback, travel buddy). My earlier comments on limits are in the context of photo processing. Also note you won't be able to connect an iPod at USB 2.0, only 1.1 or the old FireWire type of iPod.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited September 9, 2006
    I have a 1.4ghz 12" PowerBook that I love. I bought it for travel only (though surfing the internet form the couch wireless does not suck) and for me the size was the key factor. I wanted small and light. I do all my graphic and photo work on my desktop.