Beauty

Dramatapix®Dramatapix® Registered Users Posts: 430 Major grins
edited September 9, 2006 in People
Had an impromptu photo shoot for a friend of the family tonight. Here is one from the shoot... looking for some critique if you please. Thank you.

brett&jen0204resize.jpg
My Gear: D200, D80, 50 f/1.4, 28-75 f/2.8, 55-200 f/4-5.6, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, 70-200 f2.8, (4) White Lightning Ultra 1200's, SB600, (2) Lightspheres, 17" Macbook Pro, 24" Apple Imac, Thinkpad T42, Epson R-260, PSCS2, Adobe Lightroom, Apple Aperture, PS Elements 4

Comments

• alenkasmartalenkasmart Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 7, 2006
    :):
  • Barefoot and NaturalBarefoot and Natural Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2006
    Had an impromptu photo shoot for a friend of the family tonight. Here is one from the shoot... looking for some critique if you please. Thank you.

brett&jen0204resize.jpg

WOW....I was immediately drawn to her lips!! Even though her eyes to do seem soft (looks intentional) and the photo is a little dark for my taste. I also see a "orangy" spot in her hair right above her brow that is a little distracting. I still want to keep looking at it because of her lips........

The more I look at it the more and more I like it!!

Heather:D
  • Dramatapix®Dramatapix® Registered Users Posts: 430 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2006
    WOW....I was immediately drawn to her lips!! Even though her eyes to do seem soft (looks intentional) and the photo is a little dark for my taste. I also see a "orangy" spot in her hair right above her brow that is a little distracting. I still want to keep looking at it because of her lips........

The more I look at it the more and more I like it!!

Heather:D

Thanks for your feedback. I also was a little disappointed in the orange spot in her hair, but I am not very proficient with photoshop and post editing.

I have some others I can post, but I'm not sure what the forum rules are regarding semi-nudes or fantasy photos.

B~
    My Gear: D200, D80, 50 f/1.4, 28-75 f/2.8, 55-200 f/4-5.6, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, 70-200 f2.8, (4) White Lightning Ultra 1200's, SB600, (2) Lightspheres, 17" Macbook Pro, 24" Apple Imac, Thinkpad T42, Epson R-260, PSCS2, Adobe Lightroom, Apple Aperture, PS Elements 4
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2006
    I'm interested in the EXIF data before I comment.
    I like the shot, just want to make an educated comment.

Is this more of a whipping post thread? Or do you really want it in shots?

That also has an influence on how I comment on this shot.

-Slo
  • Dramatapix®Dramatapix® Registered Users Posts: 430 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2006
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    I'm interested in the EXIF data before I comment.
    I like the shot, just want to make an educated comment.

Is this more of a whipping post thread? Or do you really want it in shots?

That also has an influence on how I comment on this shot.

-Slo
    I'm truly looking for feedback on this shot as well as what I can do differently or better to improve my next shot. This was taken in a bedroom with the natural light from the lamps as well as a few candles. Here is the exif info:

Date Taken: 2006-09-07 01:22:20 Date Digitized: 2006-09-07 01:22:20 Date Modified: 2006-09-07 03:12:49 Make: NIKON CORPORATION Model: NIKON D50 Size: 2000x3008 Bytes: 2851204 Aperture: f/1.4 Focal Length: 50mm (75mm 35mm) Exposure Time: 0.01s (1/100) Flash: Unknown Exposure Program: Manual Exposure Bias: 0 ExposureMode: 1 LightSource: 0 White Balance: auto DigitalZoomRatio: 1/1 Contrast: 1 Saturation: 0 Sharpness: 0 SubjectDistanceRange: 0 SensingMethod: One-chip color sensor ColorSpace: unknown

Here is the gallery for the rest

http://www.dramatapix.com/gallery/1865021/1/93744838
    , and the password is dover.
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2006
    I'm truly looking for feedback on this shot as well as what I can do differently or better to improve my next shot.
    Her eyes are not in focus, which is very disconcerting.
  • Kelowna PicmanKelowna Picman Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited September 9, 2006
    What I love about this photo is the overall seductive "mood" it conveys.

You can pick apart and critique your work to almost no end, but if you manage to create a mood with your work, the client's sure to love it, despite it's "flaws". That's my experience, anyway. Maybe I just haven't had really picky clients, who knows...

Yes, the focus is a bit soft. Maybe try sharpening around the eyes some (since this seems to be a bone of contention), but I wouldn't sharpen anywhere else, it would take away from the mood in the photograph...

thumb.gif
    A picture is worth a thousands words...
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2006
    Focus Focus Focus.
    Looks like you have your D50 set to either center focus on closest object. Whatever the AF settings, your camera thought the chin and lips were the spot to focus on. Little portrait tip: Zoom in on you subjects i.e. 80mm instead of 28mm. This will help reduce barreling (I think barreling is the correct term, can anyone here validate that?). It looks like your models nose is rather large. In real life, I doubt if it is that large though.
    My humble recommendation would be to diffuse the light source on the left (a little too harsh for how soft the rest of the shot is) this would also create a better light reflection off the eyes, and bring in some soft fill light in closer to the model on the right (this will remove those nasty shadows that are being cast by the light source on the left..
    Definitely a good shot though. You understand instantly what the shot is supposed to convey. Way to capture a moment.
    With your last statement of "truly looking for feedback". I would definately PM wxwax and have him move this thread to the whipping post. You will get many more hits w/ shooters that want to critique shots.

-Jon
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2006
    I thought the series was well done. While I wasn't fond of every one, some are very nice.

Sam