Jawdropping Moon Shot.

Tom K.Tom K. Registered Users Posts: 817 Major grins
edited September 8, 2006 in Holy Macro
The following link contains the finest Moon photograph I have ever seen in my life. Tell me if you agree with me.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,16822681
Visit My Web Site ~ http://www.tomkaszuba.com/

Comments

• RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2006
    Very cool! It's neat to see what simply oversaturating something like the moon can do. At first when I saw it I said there was no way the picture wasn't colored in PS, but then I read his description of what he did to it. Again, very cool! I'm making it my background for the itme being.
  • rjpatrjpat Registered Users Posts: 248 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2006
    Wow
    Ron

We never know how something we say, do, or think today, will effect the lives of millions tomorrow....BJ Palmer
  • ForeheadForehead Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2006
    Almost looks like the moon's being terraformed!
    Steve-o
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2006
    :): wow thanks for sharing
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2006
    That's very cool. Are those false colors? I thought the surface was shades of gray, and the place had no atmosphere by which to introduce color?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Twisted ImageTwisted Image Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2006
    WOW nice pic thanks..
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2006
    That is amazing ... Thanks for the link !

I found where he answered a question on the equip he used.

This image is a mosaic of 15 separate and slightly overlapping 8.2 megapixel images from my Canon EOS-20D (unmodified), taken in Raw mode and converted and stitched together in Photoshop CS2. As you can see from the EXIF data, the exposures were each 1/5 second at ISO 100.

Though the moon is generally made of gray, dusty material it is very bright, photographically, since it is bathed in sunlight.

I mounted my 20D to my Meade LX200 GPS UHTC 10" Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope via my 2x Televue Powermate (a focal length doubler, similar to a teleconverter, which also serves to mate my camera to the 2" telescope eyepiece tube). Effective focal length was 5000mm f/20.

Looking through the viewfinder I swept across the surface in a zig-zag fashion, trying for about 1/3 overlap between frames. I triggered the shutter with my TC80-N3 remote timer/controller. I did the stitching by hand in Photoshop.

Since it is tremendously downsized from the original mosaic, which was almost 40 megapixels, and was taken at the camera's most noise-free setting (ISO 100), the data is very accurate, and thus I was able to strongly increase the saturation via Photoshop's Image - Adjust - Hue/Saturation function.