Shooting the Northern Lights?

ChetChet Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited September 12, 2006 in Technique
Hello grinners,
In a few weeks I will be attending a conference for work in Alaska. While I won't have a lot of time up there I was hoping to get a chance to try and take some photos of the northern lights. Having never been to Alaska, or even seen the northern lights in person I'm not sure what to expect. I will be staying in Fairbanks, Alaska which is in the interrior. According to some of the web sites I have checked out I have a decent change of seeing the northern lights come out at least one night.

Does any one have any pointers or expierence shooting the northern lights? Outside of using a tripod and a remote/cable release and a slow shutter speed, what are other techniques I should use?
Chet

Canon Digital Rebel XT
EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6

Comments

• Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2006
    Even if you don't see one, shoot as if one was there. You may catch one not visible to the eye. And there isn't a trick really, just shoot and expose for the scenery. So like you mentioned, tripod and remote release.

If the aurora is bright and active, it can move pretty fast, so long shutter speeds can loose detail of the structure. So I would give priority to shorter shutter speeds and open up the aperture and bump the ISO as needed. Work with the exposure to get the desired shutter speed to capture the structure you want.

Don't forget to spend some time just enjoying the show either. I have seen two, and one of them was bright and active and it was very powerful and moving for me to watch.

You can practice by shooting sky glow from city lights. Try to make it look intersting as if it were an aurora. That should get you some good experience.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2006
    Some helpful links from folks who've done it.

Link #1

Link #2(See last post.)

Link #3
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2006
    Does anyone from the Washington State area know if the AB is visible from anywhere in Washington? Just moved, and would love to catch them in action sometime!
    edited September 8, 2006
    Rhuarc wrote:
    Does anyone from the Washington State area know if the AB is visible from anywhere in Washington? Just moved, and would love to catch them in action sometime!

In washington, they are frequently photographable, though they may not be visible to the eye, or sometimes not recognized as such to those who don't know what to look for. So try shooting in a northerly direction when the action is hot and you might get something.

I monitor this site:

http://sec.noaa.gov/pmap/pmapN.html

When the activity level is around 10 I start thinking about making a trip to somewhere dark.
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
    edited September 8, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Some helpful links from folks who've done it.

Link #1

Link #2(See last post.)

Link #3

Great links!
    edited September 8, 2006
    One of them mentions keeping your batteries warm. I think this is a big deal. In extreme cold, their life shortens dramatically.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • ChetChet Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited September 12, 2006
    Thanks
    Thanks to everyone for your tips. The links were especially useful. I will let you all go know how it goes. Hopefully I will have some photos worth posting.
    Chet

Canon Digital Rebel XT
    EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6
    edited September 12, 2006
    Chet wrote:
    Thanks to everyone for your tips. The links were especially useful. I will let you all go know how it goes. Hopefully I will have some photos worth posting.
    thumb.gif I'm envious, I've spent a few days in AK and never seen 'em.
    Sid.