First game of the season

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited September 9, 2006 in People
New football season in the Thousand Oaks High School (TOHS)... First game... First marching band a dance team performance in the half-time... I scored a few shots...

Young TOHS fans (green and black are school colors):

93989865-L.jpg

Drum Major (she's a friend of both of my daughters):

93991923-L.jpg

Dance Team is always fun to watch (and I'm thinking of getting some of those for the new synch challenge 73:-)

93990706-L.jpg

Few more shots are in top three albums here: http://nik.smugmug.com/School/21350

Have a great weekend!
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2006
    Hey Nik wave.gif.
    Good exposures on these in dim lighting. You got some nice captures and I'm sure the girls love them but one thing I noticed is that most of your shots are landscape and are shot too wide. Look at the images you posted here. They are all close ups. But in your galleries, I think a lot of your shots are trying to get too much in them. Show the details, get right in there. I think you will convey more emotions and have more interesting images if you would just get closer or zoom in more. And also try shooting portrait orientation more. Take for instance the third shot you posted here. The girls on the right and left are not adding to the shot. The two girls in the middle are your subject. By shooting that vertically you could have kept their legs instead of cutting them off and avoided the two girls on the sides. I hope these words find you well and keep showing us your great images.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2006
    Nick,
    gluwater wrote:
    Hey Nik wave.gif.
    Good exposures on these in dim lighting. You got some nice captures and I'm sure the girls love them but one thing I noticed is that most of your shots are landscape and are shot too wide. Look at the images you posted here. They are all close ups. But in your galleries, I think a lot of your shots are trying to get too much in them. Show the details, get right in there. I think you will convey more emotions and have more interesting images if you would just get closer or zoom in more. And also try shooting portrait orientation more. Take for instance the third shot you posted here. The girls on the right and left are not adding to the shot. The two girls in the middle are your subject. By shooting that vertically you could have kept their legs instead of cutting them off and avoided the two girls on the sides. I hope these words find you well and keep showing us your great images.

You're absolutely correct, and I'm just being plain lazy. I need to pay more attention to those. Few things in my defense:
    * one of the first times shooting with this lens
    * one of the first time shooting from this position (field level)
    * tiny smugmug's "portrait Ls" hold me in landscape mode rolleyes1.gif

All in all, I should've paid more attention to those before posting.
    This was one big sweep (NDA/rawflow), tried to get pics ready before students arrive home (not that it was needed, I just wanted to see if I can do it :-)

Thank you for nice C&C! Appreciate it! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2006
    gluwater wrote:
    Hey Nik wave.gif.

Good advice
    Tough stadium lighting...I attended many highschool football games

Good photos too Nik

Fred
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2006
    Fred,
    USAIR wrote:
    Good advice
    Tough stadium lighting...I attended many highschool football games

Good photos too Nik

Fred