family shoot

John DesjarlaisJohn Desjarlais Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
edited September 11, 2006 in People
Hi all, I'm finally getting a moment to post something again.

The first two of these came from a "shoot" of the kids, orchestrated together with my wife. As usual, it was extremely stressful, almost resulting in divorce proceedings, but getting them to goof around made them a bit more cooperative.
93565666-M.jpg

As is typical, the best shot of the day was taken after the "formal" shoot when they were just romping around on a trampoline:
93565925-M.jpg

Here's a couple more candid shots:
Sleeping angel:
93569714-M.jpg

And pulling socks:
93999178-M.jpg

Thanks for any comments.
John Desjarlais
macrophile.smugmug.com

Comments

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited September 9, 2006
    nice shots and cute kids-

not sure what you're doing with the color in the first two but like it-

just a little desaturation or what?-
  • John DesjarlaisJohn Desjarlais Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited September 9, 2006
    George - you're right on the colors - some partial desaturation. I find I like the look quite a bit, and it allows me to keep the colors (which the wife likes) while still abstracting things a bit.
    John Desjarlais
    macrophile.smugmug.com
  • Kelowna PicmanKelowna Picman Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited September 9, 2006
    Nice work! I really like the "desaturation effect", as well? Can you tell us what the post capture process is that you use?

On a side note, my wife is my business partner and assistant on all my shoots, and I swear she'd almost like to kill me after each and every shoot...I can relate! thumb.gif
    A picture is worth a thousands words...
    edited September 9, 2006
    KP - it's actually rather straightforward. I usually do a levels adjustment, then, in PSE, desaturate with a value between -30 and -80, depending on the look I'm after. After that, sometimes a bit more contrast is needed with a curves adjustment, then I sharpen.

And thanks for appreciating the difficulties of working with the spouse!
    John Desjarlais
    macrophile.smugmug.com
  • Nick MorganNick Morgan Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited September 9, 2006
    The first and second are great caputres, but the first thing I notice about them is the pale, ghostly skin tone, which really yanked my attention away from the subject. So I think I differ with the previous commenters. Once you explained about the tone, I could warm up to it a little, but standing alone, the lacking skin tone seems to work against the warmth that the composition otherwise tends toward (since the children are doing pleasant, playful, warm things, and it doesn't look like you intended a disturbing affect). But of course that's only my reaction, and I'm often in the minority. :):
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2006
    Nice shots. I really like the second one.
    edited September 10, 2006
    Nick - thanks very much for the input. The skin tone issue is one that I'm still on the fence about. I'm going to have to think about strategies to deal with that, as I do like the desaturation effect on the tone of the photos.
    John Desjarlais
    macrophile.smugmug.com
  • AntoineDAntoineD Registered Users Posts: 393 Major grins
    Thoses are nice shots, especially the color ones, though it may a little too much desaturated. thumb.gif
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
  • Jeff FillmoreJeff Fillmore Registered Users Posts: 411 Major grins
    Very nice- I like the desaturation. I was experimenting with something similar with my kid portraits for a while but adding a sepia tone to them as well.
    Thanks!
    Jeff

flickr

• stephiewilliamsstephiewilliams Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2006
    I really like the last one the best. The others are great candids. I think I may be the odd one out but I think the desaturation look doesn't do them justice. Rich vibrant color adds so much to a photo...if you are going to drown it down just go ahead and make it a black and white altogether.
    Stephie
    "AMATEURS try till they get it right, PROS try till they cannot possibly get it wrong."

Gallery - http://stephaniewilliams.smugmug.com