College Soccer: York v. Messiah

binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
edited September 26, 2006 in Sports
i go to york college of pennsylvania. our d3 soccer team is ranked eighth in the nation. on thursday, they just faced the top ranked team, and our rival, messiah. i was there to cover the game for my school's paper. please tell me what you think. if you'd like to know about the history between our schools and the outcome of the game, just ask.

93931521-M-3.jpg

93931563-M-3.jpg

93930532-M-3.jpg

93930714-M-2.jpg

93930923-M-3.jpg

93930940-M-3.jpg

93930960-M-3.jpg

93931304-M-2.jpg

thanks for looking!

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited September 9, 2006
    Can you update the post with camera settings?

3 & 5 have the most going for them.

Overall, they look soft. The whites in 1 look OE--this is a tough shot though
    because you have white and very dark parts in the picture.

A suggestion for you. Shoot in one direction at a time. At this time of the
    day, you will need to check/adjust your settings often. I would suggest you
    shoot manual as well. Use a grey card (or even the grass) as a starting point
    for settings. Watch the horizons too.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • illuminati919illuminati919 Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2006
    I think the only problem you had was the postion you were in. I know when I watch soccer games I see all of the photographers behind the goal, in that position you can catch a better face of the person and you can isolate them withouth having a bunch of players in between. But as Ian said watch your exposure, it can be trick during certain times of the day. Other then that I think you have timing down and thats one of the most crucial things when shooting action photos, good job, hope to see more thumb.gif .
    ~~~www.markoknezevic.com~~~

Setup: One camera, one lens, and one roll of film.
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2006
    thanks guys, i really appreciate the comments and i will definitely look out for those things the next time i shoot!
  • stephiewilliamsstephiewilliams Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2006
    They look good, number 2 doesn't do much for me, probably because of the ref...but overall nice job.
    Stephie
    "AMATEURS try till they get it right, PROS try till they cannot possibly get it wrong."

Gallery - http://stephaniewilliams.smugmug.com
  • mateobusmateobus Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 25, 2006
    Nice Shots
    Wow, these were all really good shots in my opinion. I am very familiar with these two teams, and this game (a few thursdays ago) was a really good one. If you go to d3kicks.com, you can submit your photos via the photo upload zone. Since both teams are ranked so highly, chances are that these photos will be seen by many people.
  • CalexPhotoCalexPhoto Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    Nice pics overall, but my faves from this series is #3 & #5. Thanks for sharing.
    LT
    Sony A700&VG; KM 7D&VG; KM 5D; Min 28-75/2.8; 50/1.7; Tammie 17-50/2.8; Tammie 90/2.8 Macro; Min 80-200/2.8; and Min 300/2.8, two flashes, and a couple of other accessories.
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    Nicely done. I'd crop #1 real tight, just the keeper and the attacker (assuming that #9 is the attacker). Love #2, but as Stephie mentioned the ref kills the shot, #3 is cool ... "hey you want a piece of this..." type shot (too bad all of his fingers are extended ... a bit of PS could fix that - lol), #4 is okay .. but nothing special for those of us not a York follower, #5 is better than #4 but still not super-exceptional (but a nice shot), #6 is very good (so good it looks as if it was a set-up ... maybe after you PS out some of those fingers you can toss in a few players in the background of #6), #7 & #8 ... guess you need to be a York fan to get a kick out of them.

I sorta have the same problem with my soccer shots. The players and fans have a much lower threshold of photographic appreciation than those not associated with the team. On my site I have a ton of photos which Mom and Dad like ... but are not all that hot as an action photograph.

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • ESigginsESiggins Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2006
    I agree with the things other people have said, too. With #1 I'd also focus on the goalie, seeing as you can see his face, not the attacker. #s 3, 4 & 6 are great for the school Paper if those are important players, especially if they're mentioned in the article about the game. I shot for the Binghamton University newspaper while I was there, and the editors loved those kind of shots. The athletic department paid for them sometimes, too. #5 and especially #7 are good action shots all round, I like them a lot. #8, I'm not sure what it's for. There's no emotion or fact expressed at all.

Overall, a good day of shooting. The paper only needs one good one and you certainly did that plus a few to put aside for a day when it all goes wrong thumb.gif

Fred.
    Shoot, or shoot not. There is no try.
    http://esiggins.smugmug.com
  • stephiewilliamsstephiewilliams Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2006
    The lighting on these is just beautiful :) Number one in my opinion might work better as a vertical crop with just the player the ball and the goalie...maybe? Number two really holds no interest for me. #3 is great he looks like he has determination...Once again the lighting is exceptional. I like #4 but would probably tightly crop to just the player and the ball. #6 is by far my favorite though!

As far as position goes I would agree with the other poster behind the goal will get you shots of the players running hard at you, with their determined faces in all their glory...BUT you do not get as many shots from behind the goal and depending on where the light is at that time and which team is more aggresive it may not be possible...
    Stephie
    "AMATEURS try till they get it right, PROS try till they cannot possibly get it wrong."

Gallery - http://stephaniewilliams.smugmug.com