Olympus 720 SW and EXIF

used2jeepused2jeep Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited September 9, 2006 in Cameras
Hello gurus and guruettes.

I apologize for the n00biessence.

This is the EXIF info from the Olympus site:Print compliance • DPOF
• PictBridge
• EXIF 2.2

Does this mean that I would be able to put pictures on Google Earth with this camera? :dunno

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited September 9, 2006
    used2jeep,

The Stylus 720 SW is a pretty amazing camera, but I don't see that it has built-in GPS technology or an ability to direct tether to a GPS device.

EXIF is simply a file specification. It does include some standard bits of information like a time stamp for the vast majority of digital cameras. A few cameras do have the ability to acquire and store GPS information in an EXIF extension called the IFD, but I don't think the Stylus cameras have this built-in.

If you coordinate the time stamp of an image (when it was taken) against the time standard of a GPS log, the GPS can help define the position at the time the image was taken.

That's the basic idea that's been automated in the Sony GPS-CS1. As long as your camera's clock and the GPS's clock are in sync, the software supplied with the GPS-CS1 can plot where images were taken with reasonable accuracy. It may be that another piece of software is required called the Sony Picture Motion Browser to gain full function, but I could not find out for sure.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • used2jeepused2jeep Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited September 9, 2006
    Thanks for the info Ziggy! I want to make sure I know what I want to do before comitting to a camera and hosting site.