canon 20d firmware update

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited December 8, 2004 in Cameras

Comments

• yvonneyvonne Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2004
    problems with 20d?
    As someone who is about to come to NY in January to buy a 20D... is there something here I should know? A bit distressed to see in the link that the softward fixes the problem of shutter release not working!! This has me a bit worried.

Have people been having a lot of problems with the 20d?
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2004
    yvonne wrote:
    Have people been having a lot of problems with the 20d?

I never had any of the problems that caused Canon to update the firmware. I think the problems are very infrequent, but when they happen they generate a lot of noise. I am, however, running the latest firmware (with the exception of today's). Do not fear to buy a 20D. :)
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • yvonneyvonne Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2004
    mercphoto wrote:
    I never had any of the problems that caused Canon to update the firmware. I think the problems are very infrequent, but when they happen they generate a lot of noise. I am, however, running the latest firmware (with the exception of today's). Do not fear to buy a 20D. :)
    Oh good, thanks! Virgin are running a flight sale to NY - £108 plus tax. This is ridiculously cheap. Plus with the strong pound (sorry chaps), I'm heading STRAIGHT for BH and I'm clearing the place out!!! Am hoping to save $1500 vs UK prices: 2 lenses (300 f4 ISM and 15mm fisheye) and one 20d. Happy days.
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited December 7, 2004
    Yvonne,

As Bill commented, don't be afraid of purchasing a 20D. That "shutter" problem, was really the "lock up" issue. Where the camera would sort of get lost and not be able to take a pic, without first removing and replacing the battery, to reset it. Many folks never had that problem. I know that Andy hasn't and I know I haven't. Between us we must have about 7500 shots taken and no problems thumb.gif

It's a great camera, and there is really no need to worry iloveyou.gif The issue is not going to be the Pound versus the Dollar exchange rate. It's going to be your converted Pounds against the Yen....lol Prices are going up on Japanese goods. My last lens went up $50 in just 2 weeks :-(

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2004
    Thanks andy. You're mother should be very proud. nod.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson