20D weirdness

ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
edited September 11, 2006 in Cameras
Just a few minutes ago I was messing around trying to get a shot of a Chip, yes going though a bit of brush. The camera locked on and then I noticed I had 2 AF lights flashing and I only use center point. It was TWO center point lights. The circle that has the CP had become 2 with the top one ghosted, the chip was in focus in BOTH circles but was also ghosted in the top one. Rather cool effect but don't think it's suppose to do that..Ideas?

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited September 10, 2006
    Thusie wrote:
    Just a few minutes ago I was messing around trying to get a shot of a Chip, yes going though a bit of brush. The camera locked on and then I noticed I had 2 AF lights flashing and I only use center point. It was TWO center point lights. The circle that has the CP had become 2 with the top one ghosted, the chip was in focus in BOTH circles but was also ghosted in the top one. Rather cool effect but don't think it's suppose to do that..Ideas?

Thusie,

Were you in predictive autofocus mode by any chance?

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Thusie,

Were you in predictive autofocus mode by any chance?

ziggy53
    You lost me Ziggy?? Camera settings, center point, AV, Raw. What is predictive AF?

Thanks much Ziggy for wading in.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    Thusie,

Apparently on the 20D, you adjust the AutoFocus mode by pressing the "AF-WB" button and turning the wheel next to the shutter button:

071206_5.jpg
    (Image not mine, used for illustration only.)

Make sure your AF mode is Single Shot for normal still images. I suspect the Predictive AF was on and I think that the situation you describe can occur in Predictive AF mode. I have noticed similar behavior on the XT, but it's very transient.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited September 11, 2006
    No kidding, that is what you call predictive focus? Could have hit something while I was moving around, hasn't done it since. Don't think I jumped out of one shot?? Use Al-Servo rarely and never Al-focus. Hum just got the camera out and could go to Al-servo but not Al-focus, it didn't show up? Tried it again and it did? This is a pretty well used 20D, good shape, but I'm the 3rd owner:):

Sorry didn't get what you meant about predictive focus:-)

Thanks Ziggy.

You know I am almost positive I was in One Shot since to change the AF would take more than a bump? Any change would have been to Al-Servo (which I've used maybe 4X's) and Chips really don't qualify for that mode:-)
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Thusie,

Apparently on the 20D, you adjust the AutoFocus mode by pressing the "AF-WB" button and turning the wheel next to the shutter button:

071206_5.jpg
    (Image not mine, used for illustration only.)

Make sure your AF mode is Single Shot for normal still images. I suspect the Predictive AF was on and I think that the situation you describe can occur in Predictive AF mode. I have noticed similar behavior on the XT, but it's very transient.

ziggy53
  • gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    its also worth..
    ziggy ,what a generous reply!

.. playing around with the predictive focus if you are running around after wildlife on the move-very handy for tracking things running,or flying across in front of you-not so good for things coming at you.For that its better to pre-focus manually and wait for them to come into focus G
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    gtc wrote:
    ziggy ,what a generous reply!

nod.gif

Ziggy does good advice.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    Yes Ziggy does do good advice.

Thing is the camera just did it again and I am in one shot as always, unless I change it, which I rarely do. Sorry just never heard it called predictive focus:-)

I honestly do know how to operate that camera pretty well, not to say I always get it set just right tho':D
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    Thusie when I run into "weird" settings on my camera (just about every weekend at least!!! ) I end up clearing all the settings on the camera and starting all over. I am forever hitting wrong buttons. rolleyes1.gif
    saurora wrote:
    Thusie when I run into "weird" settings on my camera (just about every weekend at least!!! ) I end up clearing all the settings on the camera and starting all over. I am forever hitting wrong buttons. rolleyes1.gif

I think I might be getting misunderstood..As soon as it happend I checked all settings and they were exactly how I had them set. One Shot, Burst, AV. The only thing I have to watch is somethimes pulling the camrea out of the bag the side dial gets moved and switced to P, TV or something. I know that can happen so always check. My hands are smal enough that when I'm holding the camera by the grip I can't even reach the AF-WB button:):