slow zoom thumbnail?

flyingpointflyingpoint Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
edited September 11, 2006 in SmugMug Support
While everything else -- uploading, keywording, etc. --- has been fairly fast recently, setting zoom thumbnails has been painfully slow. I'm literally averaging 10 to 15 seconds for each one.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Comments

• BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited September 10, 2006
    While everything else -- uploading, keywording, etc. --- has been fairly fast recently, setting zoom thumbnails has been painfully slow. I'm literally averaging 10 to 15 seconds for each one.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Hi :)

That seems about right for me, too. You might want to check out the bulk zoom thumbnailer here:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=26959

Works a treat! And beats the heck out of doing them one by one :)
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    Barb wrote:
    Hi :)

That seems about right for me, too. You might want to check out the bulk zoom thumbnailer here:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=26959

Works a treat! And beats the heck out of doing them one by one :)

how come when I ask, there is no response eek7.gif

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=37095

Are you saying that smugmug is satisfied with this performance and there is no issue?
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    dmc wrote:
    how come when I ask, there is no response eek7.gif

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=37095

Are you saying that smugmug is satisfied with this performance and there is no issue?
    Well, we rarely miss a posting here on Dgrin, dmc, but we missed yours, back in June of this year. I'm terribly sorry about that.

Satisfied? If you're not happy we're not happy. What, specifically are you having slowness issues with? Is there a gallery link you can point us to, aso?

We received 22 new servers late Friday afternoon and I assume some of them are for image processing, but they're not online yet.
  • flyingpointflyingpoint Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    Bulk Zoom Thumbnailer
    Thanks for the heads-up on the BZT. Fabulous!
  • dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    Andy wrote:
    Well, we rarely miss a posting here on Dgrin, dmc, but we missed yours, back in June of this year. I'm terribly sorry about that.

Satisfied? If you're not happy we're not happy. What, specifically are you having slowness issues with? Is there a gallery link you can point us to, aso?

We received 22 new servers late Friday afternoon and I assume some of them are for image processing, but they're not online yet.

I remember when the bulk keywording was slow when you hit save... that was finally fixed (fast now).

When I zoom thumbnail, and hit save... 15+ seconds... is this expected behavior? Too slow if I wanted to do several.

There is no specific gallery, and I am not sure if it has always performed like this... just would be nice if someone could check and make sure there isn't a bug in there somewhere.

I just did 3 zoom thumbnails with 45s, 15s, and 30seconds respectively.

What kind of performance do you see when you zoom thumbnail? I'm curious.

Thanks
    dmc wrote:
    I remember when the bulk keywording was slow when you hit save... that was finally fixed (fast now).

When I zoom thumbnail, and hit save... 15+ seconds... is this expected behavior? Too slow if I wanted to do several.

There is no specific gallery, and I am not sure if it has always performed like this... just would be nice if someone could check and make sure there isn't a bug in there somewhere.

I just did 3 zoom thumbnails with 45s, 15s, and 30seconds respectively.

What kind of performance do you see when you zoom thumbnail? I'm curious.

Thanks

18 seconds on this one
    79013057-Th-2.jpg

I don't know if that's fast or slow. But it's okay with me. Considering that you're processing five new copies of the file, and others are using the size, it sounds reasonable. 45 seconds does not.
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    similar problems here
    I individually zoom a thumbnail and it takes around 45 seconds also. Then it shows up like this-- no thumbnail! The photo is there, so I have to zoom it again, and it works.

66632862.jpg

I'm also still experiencing the slowest photo processing I've ever had with my account (15-20 minutes for five photos to show up) and not everything is uploading and I have to re-upload after waiting to see what's there and what isn't. I hope SM is working on this-- I have a ton of photos to post today.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

one more example
    Here's another issue I've been having with individual zooming today. This one took over a minute to zoom, then showed up like this (half of it black). I do have the bulk zoom tool-- but that's NOT what I'm using on these examples. I realize the BZT is a hack not supported by SM.
    66636663.jpg
    Anyway, I have to zoom the thumb again after it shows like this, and then it works.

dogwood wrote:
    I'm also still experiencing the slowest photo processing
    We covered this in the thread last night, nothing's changed since then-- Onethumb is aware, but I don't have anything new to say - I'll post as soon as I know something. Thanks.
    one more problem for the list
    Andy wrote:
    We covered this in the thread last night, nothing's changed since then-- Onethumb is aware, but I don't have anything new to say - I'll post as soon as I know something. Thanks.

Thanks Andy. I'm not trying to be a pain, really, but it's not just the slow processing. I posted two problems I've been having with the zoom thumbs today, and now I just waited an hour for a single photo to process only to have the dreaded "photo not found" message appear. I've tried to re-upload that photo, and nothing shows up (not even the "photo processing" message). I've tried to replace the photo three times now, and that didn't work either. I know you folks are probably working on it-- I'm just posting in the hopes that it helps with the troubleshooting. Honestly.

66638469.jpg

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2006
    dogwood wrote:
    Thanks Andy. I'm not trying to be a pain, really, but it's not just the slow processing. I posted two problems I've been having with the zoom thumbs today, and now I just waited an hour for a single photo to process only to have the dreaded "photo not found" message appear. I've tried to re-upload that photo, and nothing shows up (not even the "photo processing" message). I've tried to replace the photo three times now, and that didn't work either. I know you folks are probably working on it-- I'm just posting in the hopes that it helps with the troubleshooting. Honestly.
    Thanks Pete, we always appreciate all feedback & information on problems! We're looking into it.