Just a spider web

Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
edited September 12, 2006 in Holy Macro
Woke up yesterday morning - great dew last night - and looked out the kitchen window into the back yard. Saw this. Not great shots, but fun and I thought they were worth a post.

My back yard is quite small, so, to avoid distracting background, had to shoot wide open. This accounts for the very shallow DOF, especially on the second one.

1. We get thes in our back yard about 3 or 4 times each summer (I have one just outside my front door right now). This one is something like 3 or 3.5 feet (1m to 1.3m) in diameter - one of the largest I have seen in a while. I kind of like this shot with the sunlight iridescing off the water on the web. The blown area is a couple of cars (white of course - oh well) in the parking lot of the apartment complex behind our place. Not much I could do about it, and I really did try!
94316578-L.jpg

2. This one shows that the web kind of had a bad time of it last night.
94316577-L.jpg

I'm glad I stopped and took these shots. About 30 minutes later, I looked out the window and the web was gone. I guess the spider got busy and recycled the web.

Comments

• douglasdouglas Registered Users Posts: 696 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2006
    Great spider web shots, i like the dew and the angle is great.
    Best regards,
    douglas
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    douglas wrote:
    Great spider web shots, i like the dew and the angle is great.
    That's higher praise than I think these deserve. Thanks and thanks for looking.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    wonderful ! love your work
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2006
    Woke up yesterday morning - great dew last night - and looked out the kitchen window into the back yard. Saw this. Not great shots, but fun and I thought they were worth a post.

My back yard is quite small, so, to avoid distracting background, had to shoot wide open. This accounts for the very shallow DOF, especially on the second one.

1. We get thes in our back yard about 3 or 4 times each summer (I have one just outside my front door right now). This one is something like 3 or 3.5 feet (1m to 1.3m) in diameter - one of the largest I have seen in a while. I kind of like this shot with the sunlight iridescing off the water on the web. The blown area is a couple of cars (white of course - oh well) in the parking lot of the apartment complex behind our place. Not much I could do about it, and I really did try!
    2. This one shows that the web kind of had a bad time of it last night.
    I'm glad I stopped and took these shots. About 30 minutes later, I looked out the window and the web was gone. I guess the spider got busy and recycled the web.

Hi Scott....... I love these kind of shots....... the dew on the webs make them look like strings of pearls or fine lace work.

I like the way the light catches them too..... thanks for sharing.
    Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2006
    Nice shots!

I carry a piece of black cloth with me for things like this.
    Trick I was taught back in my 35mm days.
    Works great for flowers and web shots.

OR it being at home get a piece of cardbord from a box...good size...
    blast it with flat black paint (cheap ColorPlace Walmart stuff) keep it around
    for such times!

Used such a thing for this shot with natural light.
    Imagine what a dewy web would look like! thumb.gif

78861096-M.jpg
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    Nice shots!

I carry a piece of black cloth with me for things like this.
    Trick I was taught back in my 35mm days.
    Works great for flowers and web shots.

OR it being at home get a piece of cardbord from a box...good size...
    blast it with flat black paint (cheap ColorPlace Walmart stuff) keep it around
    for such times!

Used shuch a thing for this shot with natural light.
    Imagine what a dewy web would look like! thumb.gif
    That's a great idea. That shot is amazing!

And I have all sort of cardboard laying around!
  • gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    also
    if ,you are really keen, a sequence of the spider repairing its web can be very rewarding
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    Nice web Scott
    That is cool. Love the dew. Then Graphy shows up with yet another cool trick.....man, what a neat place this is.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552