Sizing images for download?

kriyababajikriyababaji Registered Users Posts: 295 Major grins
edited September 10, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Concerned I have been doing it right?

Here's what I have been doing. I convert a RAW into tiff and proceed to work it in Photoshop, either in LAB or RGB, once it looks the way I want I sharpen it and duplicate the image merging all layers.

This flattened image is then saved in sRGB, resized to approx. 9.5x6.5 inches @ 302 dpi; the file ends up being about 15.7 MB (pro account user limit is 16MB correct?). Finally I save it at image quality size 10 for jpgs.

How does this sound, I hope it's correct, I would hate to have to redo 100 photos.

thanks shane

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2006
    Concerned I have been doing it right?

Here's what I have been doing. I convert a RAW into tiff and proceed to work it in Photoshop, either in LAB or RGB, once it looks the way I want I sharpen it and duplicate the image merging all layers.

This flattened image is then saved in sRGB, resized to approx. 9.5x6.5 inches @ 302 dpi; the file ends up being about 15.7 MB (pro account user limit is 16MB correct?). Finally I save it at image quality size 10 for jpgs.

How does this sound, I hope it's correct, I would hate to have to redo 100 photos.

thanks shane
    You can ignore DPI, upload as much of the original file as you can, without resizing or cropping. Photoshop save as, JPG 10 - that's perfect :)
  • kriyababajikriyababaji Registered Users Posts: 295 Major grins
    dpi doesn't matter?
    Wow that's different than I have been doing it. The question remains will the way I have done allow for a upsized print output, say 20x30? Or do I have to redo the photos and download them again?

I read in smug mug help to save your photos at 302 dpi? You say it doesn't matter? Should I be saving them at 72dpi if it doesn't matter? Something doesn't make sense with that.

Andy could you please share with me the process you use, step by step.

shane

Andy wrote:
    You can ignore DPI, upload as much of the original file as you can, without resizing or cropping. Photoshop save as, JPG 10 - that's perfect :)
    Wow that's different than I have been doing it. The question remains will the way I have done allow for a upsized print output, say 20x30? Or do I have to redo the photos and download them again?

I read in smug mug help to save your photos at 302 dpi? You say it doesn't matter? Should I be saving them at 72dpi if it doesn't matter? Something doesn't make sense with that.

Andy could you please share with me the process you use, step by step.

shane

The best info is right here: http://www.smugmug.com/help/print-quality

If you have questions on this after reading, holler :D
    You know I read this three times in the past and thought I understood it, however I didn't. So it is clear what I need to do in the future with images, but my last question is this......

Do you think I need to redo the photos I have already downloaded, or do you think they would print fine as they are? I want people to be able to order 24x36?????

thanks shane

Andy wrote:
    The best info is right here: http://www.smugmug.com/help/print-quality

If you have questions on this after reading, holler :D
    You know I read this three times in the past and thought I understood it, however I didn't. So it is clear what I need to do in the future with images, but my last question is this......

Do you think I need to redo the photos I have already downloaded, or do you think they would print fine as they are? I want people to be able to order 24x36?????

thanks shane

I think your files are gorgeous. Worry not.
    Thanks Andy

Thank you again for your compliments of my work in a previous post, in case you didn't read it there. I think you just saved me about 10 hours of work.

shane
    Andy wrote:
    I think your files are gorgeous. Worry not.