Options

API Feature request: UserAgent parameter

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
I'd like to know how many people are actually using my tool (I know, it's probably less than 10 for know, but hope this number will grow:-).
I'm thinking other 3d party vendors would not mind to know this about their tools, too.
I don't want to secretly connect to some webserver and increase some counter or do anything like that.
However, I think it would be perfectly ok to supply that info along with the login process.
It can be optional parameter to all login methods.
This way smumug would also know who's using what (you guys can defintiely use that in your own uploaders, if only you are not already doing this).
And from time to time you can provide this info for us, vendors..

Waddayathink?

Thanks!
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2004
    Nikolai wrote:
    I'd like to know how many people are actually using my tool (I know, it's probably less than 10 for know, but hope this number will grow:-).
    I'm thinking other 3d party vendors would not mind to know this about their tools, too.
    I don't want to secretly connect to some webserver and increase some counter or do anything like that.
    However, I think it would be perfectly ok to supply that info along with the login process.
    It can be optional parameter to all login methods.
    This way smumug would also know who's using what (you guys can defintiely use that in your own uploaders, if only you are not already doing this).
    And from time to time you can provide this info for us, vendors..

Waddayathink?

Thanks!

Sounds interesting, but it's already provided in your HTTP request, so I don't really need to extend the API.

I suppose if there were a way other than HTTP (raw sockets or something) make calls, that would be different, but for right now, I have access to that at my fingertips already. :)

Or am I missing the point?

Don
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2004
    OK, then, I can do that..
    onethumb wrote:
    Sounds interesting, but it's already provided in your HTTP request, so I don't really need to extend the API.

I suppose if there were a way other than HTTP (raw sockets or something) make calls, that would be different, but for right now, I have access to that at my fingertips already. :)

Or am I missing the point?

Don
    I'm not sure if Rutt can address that in his python script, but I definitely has access to this HTTP feature:-). Will do that tonite, so next version will have it. I hope you'll be kind enough to get me those tats back from time to time..

Cheers!1drink.gif
  • Options
    flyingpylonflyingpylon Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2004
    Sounds like maybe you all have the issue solved, but I thought I'd offer an example...

When using Amazon Web Services (or whatever they're calling it now) they require a developer's token to be present in each HTTP request so that they can track the use of developer-created applications (as well as other things, I'm sure).
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2004
    As Don said...
    Sounds like maybe you all have the issue solved, but I thought I'd offer an example...

When using Amazon Web Services (or whatever they're calling it now) they require a developer's token to be present in each HTTP request so that they can track the use of developer-created applications (as well as other things, I'm sure).
    HTTP has a standard "user agent" field. I laready implemented it into my app (not relased yet), so now I hope Don will be able to get some stats off it.

Thank you for your impact, though:-)!

Cheers!1drink.gif
  • Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2004
    Nikolai wrote:
    HTTP has a standard "user agent" field. I laready implemented it into my app (not relased yet), so now I hope Don will be able to get some stats off it.

Thank you for your impact, though:-)!

Cheers!1drink.gif

I have to be honest here and say that we don't really track User-Agent on hits like these. smugmug just gets far too much traffic, and the user-agent is (at this time) of limited use. There are other pages where it's very valuable (homepage, signup page, etc), but the API interface isn't (currently) one of them.

Maybe in the future, but at least your app will be ready when/if we do.

Don
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2004
    As you said:-)
    onethumb wrote:
    Maybe in the future, but at least your app will be ready when/if we do.
    Don
    I'm sending app name and version in this field. Maybe some time..:-)
    Cheers!1drink.gif