Pictures From Georgia Tech vs. Samford

BlueHoseJacketBlueHoseJacket Registered Users Posts: 509 Major grins
edited September 11, 2006 in Sports
I took these shots from the Upper Deck of the stadium with my 300mm zoom lense. I think they turned out pretty good for being that far away.94215896-O.jpg

94365633-O.jpg

94366731-O.jpg

94221622-O.jpg

Comments

• luisferfrancoluisferfranco Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited September 11, 2006
    Nice pics... but way out of focus... why?
  • BlueHoseJacketBlueHoseJacket Registered Users Posts: 509 Major grins
    Focus issue.
    As stated above, these were handheld shots from the upper deck of the stadium using my 300mm zoom lense. Best I can do from that distance without a tripod and I don't think that those fans sitting around me would approve. I am along way from the field.
    As stated above, these were handheld shots from the upper deck of the stadium using my 300mm zoom lense. Best I can do from that distance without a tripod and I don't think that those fans sitting around me would approve. I am along way from the field.

Thing is... there is no motion blur (in fact, you shouldn't need a tripod for that light). They are only out of focus. Did you use AF? Does canon has continuos-AF?

Thanks!
    focus
    I am a rookie at with an SLR type camera and don't know a lot about what I am doing with this thing. 90% of the time I set the dial on the green auto box, point and shoot. I would love some tips on how to improve these shots.

These shots have also been cropped in order to get the close up look. Did I crop too much? What settings should I use in full sunlight for football from the upper deck of a stadium?
    I am a rookie at with an SLR type camera and don't know a lot about what I am doing with this thing. 90% of the time I set the dial on the green auto box, point and shoot. I would love some tips on how to improve these shots.
    I don't know what to say, since I don't know Canon's system (for specific modes). But something all cameras has is the following:

Use A mode (Av in Canon, I think) and dial something about 5.6, that's the aperture (I don't know how to do it in Canon, so you should research your manual), the camera will choose the correct speed for your shot (in this case, judging the light should be something around 1/500 or so)

Use your lens in AF (Autofocus), use spot-focus (only to focus what is right in the center of the viewfinder), if your camera has a "continuos focus mode" use it. Choose your subject, half-press the shutter to focus, follow him, if moving, and shoot (full press), if possible use "continuos drive" (shooting frames as long as you have the shuter pressed), then you'll have lots of mediocre pics, but among them you'll find a treasure.

I think you had a good eye for action, problem was focusing.

I don't know if this helps. Sorry for my poor english (not my native language)
    Thanks
    I will give that a try on Saturday. Unfortunately I am sitting in the lower deck on Saturday, to low in the stadium to get clear shots at the players due to players being so low. I will probably have good shots of the players on the sideline (non-action shots) this week.

The Canon does have the Av mode, I need to learn how to use it. I will play around with the camera before Saturday.

Thanks alot for your help...I would have never known that English was not your native language, sounded perfect to me.

Thanks again.