Weird looking aphids

ForeheadForehead Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
edited September 11, 2006 in Holy Macro
At least that's what I think they are. The ants crawling all over them seem to be getting gorged by the "honeydew" secretions from those little "cows":
Steve-o

Comments

• photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2006
    not aphids...I'm sure of that. not baby ladybugs either...dunno.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    Forehead wrote:
    At least that's what I think they are. The ants crawling all over them seem to be getting gorged by the "honeydew" secretions from those little "cows":

I dont know what they are either, but it's interesting to watch the ants milk little critters.

I tried manipulating some aphids under the microscope with a probe and they began to excrete this milk substance the ants like, it was interesting to see.........maybe Brian knows what this little guys are ???

Thanks for sharing.......... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    Interesting shot- think they might be treehopper nymphs but not sure
    Brian V.
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    Skippy wrote:
    I tried manipulating some aphids under the microscope with a probe and they began to excrete this milk substance the ants like, it was interesting to see.....

Might not be quite what you think going on here. Aphids excrete honeydew from their normal digestive system- ie at the rear end, but they also have what I call their twin exhaust pipes sticking up normally about 2/3rds of the way down their abdomen. Apparently these are used to excrete signal pheromones including an alarm pheromone if they are attacked :)
    Brian V.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    Wow eek7.gif very scary
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • ForeheadForehead Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
    Although they do resemble baby ladybugs much more than aphids. Where's an entomologist wannabe when you need one?
    photodoug wrote:
    not aphids...I'm sure of that. not baby ladybugs either...dunno.
    Steve-o