Toybowl football....Gridiron stars

OnreyOnrey Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
edited September 11, 2006 in Sports
I shoot for several toybowl football leagues, here are a few from recent games. Any C&C would be appreciated, I feel they are pretty good but I also want to improve. The parents love them / emptying the pocket books:clap

94600321-M.jpg

94601337-M.jpg

94600322-M.jpg

Some custom work (AHEM templates I purchased) Parents are buying alot of these

94609882-M.jpg

94609886-M.jpg

Now for the cuties !

94600323-M.jpg

wish I had used some fill flash on this :dunno

94600320-M.jpg

I used Medium and thought they would be larger, sorry guys/gals

Thanks for looking
Brad Fite :D
www.fitephotography.com
Canon 1D MkIIN, Canon 50D, Canon 300 f/2.8L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 24-70 f/2.8L, Canon 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender,
Canon 580 & 420 Flash, Pocket Wizards,
Alien Bee 800, Other misc stuff

Comments

• luisferfrancoluisferfranco Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited September 11, 2006
    Great pics, I'm quite sure dads and moms love them.

You say you sell pocket books?

I'm interested on doing the same here in Mexico, how many pic you sell in your pocket books and how much do they cost?
  • OnreyOnrey Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    Luisferfranco,
    Im sorry I confused you but I meant to say the "Parents are emptying their pocket books "Wallets" by purchasing my photos" I hope that helps.

Good luck down in Mexico!
    www.fitephotography.com
    Canon 1D MkIIN, Canon 50D, Canon 300 f/2.8L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 24-70 f/2.8L, Canon 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender,
    Onrey wrote:
    Im sorry I confused you but I meant to say the "Parents are emptying their pocket books "Wallets" by purchasing my photos" I hope that helps.

I thought you were selling photo books (somtehing I would like to do for parents, players and teams).

So you sell the pics individually? That's even better (less cost of production), how does it work? do you take a printer with you, and print them on-site? or you wait for the next week and take the pics you took last week? what's the average price?

I may be asking to reveal your professional secrets hehehe... send me an email to luisferfranco@gmail.com if you wish...
  • OnreyOnrey Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    Luis, no professional secrets here, I believe most event photogs do it much the same way I do but prices may vary widely, and some may choose to print on site, I do not. I do all my own editing so I can't be shooting and editing at same time, my wife and daughters work my sales booth and viewing station.

I sell individually
    4x6= $4.00
    5x7= $8.00
    8x10= $12.00
    Custom photos 5x7 = $15.00
    " " 8x10= $20.00
    " " 12x18=$50.00

I also offer a Individual CD with all their photos on it for $50.00 (Photos straight out of the camera, no editing) Later, they usually e-mail or call me back with image #'s for custom photos.

All in all I sell really well, I raised my 4x6 prices this year trying to steer more sales in 5x7 or 8x10 but im finding Im still selling alot of 4x6's along with the other sizes, so it seems my customers are accepting my 4x6 prices and may need to raise them a bit in the future, but I feel comfortable selling them at $4.00, custom photos sell really well on their own.

One thing I do is Print 8x10's of what I think is my best work for a paticular game/sport and put them in a portfolio book and I TAKE IT EVERYWHERE I GO. The parents LOVE looking thru it. I am asked everywhere I go if I brought my book and if they can see it, custom photos are also in it.
    Case in point: this sat I was shooting toybowl football, a visting coach walked thru the gate, came straight to my booth, looked at the VERY FIRST PHOTO, handed me $50.00 and asked if I would take photos of his son, that 1 photo made the sale not me, I didnt say a word except "yes sir I can", later that night we talked to the visiting teams president and will be shooting their league in a few weeks. They took my Biz card and order form.

we make the sale, collect the money, edit each photo at home, take to lab, then usually mail to clients, I try to do all this in about 2-3 days, people appreciate my turn around time.

I do not advertise except a AD in the highschool year book, everything seems to come to me from word of mouth. I try my best to make sure every customer is happy. Some new clients seem a bit leary paying up front and then trusting you to send them what they paid for, when I have new clients, I DO MY VERY BEST to edit, print and mail in 1 day, so they will get it the next day or the day after that, I have found this works GREAT, they now trust you and their next purchases seem to be worth more $$$, it all comes down to a great/good product, great customer service and price your photos what they are worth, (do not under value your work)

I hope this helps you in some way. My method may not be the perfect way ( I dont believe there is a perfect way) but right now its working really well for me. If anyone has anything to add from the way you do business please post, we can all learn new things and gain new ideas.

Good luck
    www.fitephotography.com
    Onrey wrote:
    Luis,
    I sell individually
    4x6= $4.00
    5x7= $8.00
    8x10= $12.00
    Custom photos 5x7 = $15.00
    " " 8x10= $20.00
    " " 12x18=$50.00

Of course, we have different economies :) (I mean USA vs. Mexico), last year I was doing some kind of "Topp's" or "Upper Deck" thing, and I printed the pics at 2x3, you won't believe those were my "best sellers", maybe because is an "standard" format. Since I had things pretty automated in Photoshop I was selling those for $2.5... funny thing is I sold many copies of the very same pic.

Most of my family pics are printed in 5x7, but for some strange reason I don't know, my wife, and almost everybody I know, still prefers the 4x6, it is the same with sports pics with me. I haven't sell 4x6s because I never thought of it... 5x7 were almost impossible to sell (I was giving them in $6), and the 12x18 "poster size" were in $30-75 depending on the extra work done (like adding the name, or a montage, or something like that)

This season I'll try the 4x6, its a nice idea, and the people still see it as "normal" pics :)

I think one of the keys is to make good friends with coaches, last year I gave a pic for the DB coach for free... the pic was him coaching (he never shouts) one of his players. I don't know, wasn't a great pic, but was too emotional, and he was very happy to have it, he told me he was going to hang it in his office. Then in other game, he asked the whole defense to pose for me, I sold this pic maybe 10-12 times, and of course I gave him the pic free... dumb of me, lost the coach's email.

Thanks a lot!