Options

Challenge 73 - Connections

FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
edited September 16, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
What do you think about this photo for Challlenge 73? It was taken today.

94679961-L.jpg

Virginia

Email

Comments

• Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2006
    Excellent shot!
    A little post production work on the shot and that will be a good entry.

Mabey clone out the wall on the upper right, using the wall on the left and a few other minor things.

Nice eye.

-Jon
  • Options
    Zahid NiazZahid Niaz Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited September 13, 2006
    I agree with Jon, the wall on upper right corner is disturbing and may be cloned with whitish wall, keeping the Red panel intact.
    Zahid Niaz
  • Options
    Thanks, Jon and Zahid, for your input. I personally like the stone wall in the texture of the stone wall in the upper right because it adds character and also because it tells the viewer that the photograph was taken of a real place. But I understand how it distracts from a photograph that is essentially graphic in character (if graphic is the correct word). Incidentally, the penguins are drawings on a wall but the tree is real.

95121351-L.jpg

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    The fact that the tree is real really makes this shot jump out at me. It looks like the tree is part of a bigger picture (well it is, but you know what I mean).
    Mabey clone the wall out to match the other side of the wall (both white)? The darker color makes me go to the spot in the top right and that's not where I want my eyes to go. You can make this go all dark as well. Just a uniform color will help our shot.
    Just a thought.
    Regardless, good shot Virginia.
    I'm posting my syncronicity shot up in about 20 minutes. Check my thread out and don't hold back!

-Jon
  • Options
    TomaSTomaS Registered Users Posts: 314 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2006
    Very well done! Two small areas still bother me. The bit of red in the upper left of frame, and the blot (?) on the lower part of the white penguin. If it was little higher, it could be rated X.rolleyes1.gif
    thumb.gif
  • Options
    TomaS wrote:
    Very well done! Two small areas still bother me. The bit of red in the upper left of frame, and the blot (?) on the lower part of the white penguin. If it was little higher, it could be rated X.rolleyes1.gif
    thumb.gif

Tsk tsk, Tom. Those are his feet!! rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for the encouraging comments. I'm working on a revised version but I fear it will retain the feet. Well maybe I'll get rid of them. ne_nau.gif The red, however, has already gone.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    Flyinggina wrote:

Thanks for the encouraging comments. I'm working on a revised version but I fear it will retain the feet. Well maybe I'll get rid of them. ne_nau.gif The red, however, has already gone.

Virginia
    I'm sure you'll notice this during post p.. But w/ the upper wall completely white. You may want to crop a little lower since there is nothing "useful" up there.
  • Options
    TomaSTomaS Registered Users Posts: 314 Major grins
    Flyinggina wrote:

Virginia

FEET!? Sorry but my feeble mind just cannot grasp that. Guess I better retake Antarctic Zoology 101.rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    sayntbrigidsayntbrigid Registered Users Posts: 381 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2006
    Its a cute photo, and the frame adds a LOT clap.gifclapclap.gif
    True happiness is wanting what you have
    http://avatars.imvu.com/sayntbrigidii
  • Options
    douglasdouglas Registered Users Posts: 696 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2006
    I think it fits the challenge well, might try cropping just above the penguins heads too and leave just a white background.
    Best regards,
    douglas
  • Options
    edited September 16, 2006
    Thanks Brigid, Tom, Jon and Douglas, for your thoughts and comments.

I have played with cropping at the top to achieve a white background but find that what drew me to the shot gets totallly lost. What appealed to me was a the theme of strangers to the city (tree - penguins) each a connected set of two. Would Jung have found universal meaning in this?

Once the photo is further cropped, what does one make of the tree other than something that is drawn on the wall beside the penguins although, in fact, it is a live tree.

Anyhow, I have concluded that I can't make this picture work for the challenge. I end up with a photograph with context that, for many, is too busy or, alternatively, a picture that is so stylized in a graphic arts sort of way that any meaning for the challenge is lost. Enough already! :deadhorse

Thanks to everyone who commented and helped me make a decision - albeit perhaps not the one I would have preferred. thumb.gif

Oh, and Tom, you've got me seeing the same thing. Hard to conjure webbed feet out of the mass at the foot of the penguin on the left. rolleyes1.gif

Virginia

Email