Bulk saving of Keywords

vlherringvlherring Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
edited September 18, 2006 in SmugMug Support
In my galleries, I'm trying to put in Keywords in bulk to save time initially, then go back and edit and improve. When I put the words in the bulk area after 'add' and select all and punch review, they show up just fine except that there are quotes around them that were not there when I put them in the initial space. If I go to Save then, there are no key words at all.

Obviously, I could do cut and paste but the bulk entry feature would work much better, if it would work....I just tried it on my Scotland gallery and the quotes marks end up blanking out the keywords.
Victoria L. Herring
http://www.JourneyZing.com
Customized travel research and planning
Through the eyes of JourneyZing, Images that will Transport You.
Photographs at: http://gallery.journeyzing.com

Comments

• PBolchoverPBolchover Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2006
    vlherring wrote:
    In my galleries, I'm trying to put in Keywords in bulk to save time initially, then go back and edit and improve. When I put the words in the bulk area after 'add' and select all and punch review, they show up just fine except that there are quotes around them that were not there when I put them in the initial space. If I go to Save then, there are no key words at all.

Obviously, I could do cut and paste but the bulk entry feature would work much better, if it would work....I just tried it on my Scotland gallery and the quotes marks end up blanking out the keywords.

There are a couple of issues here.

1) If you put multiple keywords into the bulk area, the site assumes that you are doing a single multi-word keyword, and puts quotes around it. To fix this, you can either add the keywords one by one, or use a bulk remove of the double-quote character.
    2) It takes a short amount of time for smugmug to add the keywords to its index. Frequently, the new index isn't ready by the time the gallery page appears. I usually find that if I use the refresh button in my browser, the keywords will magincally appear. (If this doesn't work, then try clicking on the "edit keywords" link on a single photo. You will see that the keywords are there, and will appear once you select "save".)
  • BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    PBolchover wrote:
    There are a couple of issues here.

1) If you put multiple keywords into the bulk area, the site assumes that you are doing a single multi-word keyword, and puts quotes around it. To fix this, you can either add the keywords one by one, or use a bulk remove of the double-quote character.
    2) It takes a short amount of time for smugmug to add the keywords to its index. Frequently, the new index isn't ready by the time the gallery page appears. I usually find that if I use the refresh button in my browser, the keywords will magincally appear. (If this doesn't work, then try clicking on the "edit keywords" link on a single photo. You will see that the keywords are there, and will appear once you select "save".)

15524779-Ti.gif
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • ElysiumElysium Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    I noticed the same thing, it's quite annoying.

One thing you can do is, after adding your keywords, and it shows up as "word1 word2 word3" go back up to the options, change it to "remove" and put a single quotation mark in the text box, and click preview, and it will remove all quotation marks from your keywords, so it will just look like word1, word2, word3.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    Elysium wrote:
    I noticed the same thing, it's quite annoying.

One thing you can do is, after adding your keywords, and it shows up as "word1 word2 word3" go back up to the options, change it to "remove" and put a single quotation mark in the text box, and click preview, and it will remove all quotation marks from your keywords, so it will just look like word1, word2, word3.
    Here is some detailed information about keywords http://www.smugmug.com/help/keywords-tags
  • dbddbd Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2006
    "keywords http://www.smugmug.com/help/keywords-tags" considered harmful"
    ivar wrote:
    Here is some detailed information about keywords http://www.smugmug.com/help/keywords-tags
    It isn't so much that there are errors, but that there isn't enough correct info for a beginner to succeed. You helpful people keep telling us beginners to use lots of good keywords but only provide enough info to correctly enter a single keyword. When beginners use the batch tool to enter the multiple keywords they have been told are good, the tool adds " marks around the entire entry and makes it useless. This goes back to threads at least to 1/1/2005.

Until you get around to making url in the title of this reply useable by multiple keywording beginners, could you please make an accurate and useful answer somewhere, maybe here, and refer us to it instead?

Please include punctuation, etc. that works for multiple keywords where any keyword may be compound.

Searching with multiple, possibly compound keywords is , of course, another thread.

Thanks

Dale B. Dalrymple
    http://dbdimages.com
    "Give me a lens long enough and a place to stand and I can image the earth."
    ...with apology to Archimedies
  • dbddbd Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2006
    Keywords now support both commas and semicolons in addition to spaces and quotes.
    Having taken several days to further research keyword issues this quote is the most positive substantive statement I have found on keywords. Unfortunately it is cancelled out by to presence of the magic word "support", meaning "possibly displaying or using or converting to any other form for display or use". As in "Photoshop Elements 3 supports 16 bit files".

Over the last couple of years Andy and Don have convincingly argued:
    There is no problem.
    The problem has been fixed.
    There is no meaningful industry consensus.
    We will continue to lead wherever the pack goes.

Now, I like Smugmug, so I must agree there isn't any place I'd like anyone interested in Smugmug to look for information on keyword entry. So, "never mind", as Gilda would say.

I wish I had the design skills to create the right icons myself. A lot of needless waste would be saved by automatically responding to keyword entry format questions with these four graphics:
    1) Smugmug monkey with eyes covered
    2) Smugmug monkey with ears covered
    3) Smugmug monkey with mouth covered
    4) icon signifying: "Your answer will be found by clicking through here to the null set."

Anyone want to give them a try?

Anyway, thanks

Dale B. Dalrymple
    dbdimages.com
    "Give me a lens long enough and a place to stand and I can image the earth."
    ...with apology to Archimedies
  • pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2006
    Though I believe smugmug could do a better job describing how to enter keywords, I have NO issues with keyword entry as I do that entry off-line, prior to uploading to smugmug.

Based on prior experience of my own, keyword entry on-line does have different behaviour depending on whether you're entering keywords for an individual photo or multiple photos.

I've chimed in before on this topic. The most recent is
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=383766&postcount=5