Insane Macro - reverse lens shot - Mosquito

sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
edited September 14, 2006 in Holy Macro
I generally dont upload full size shots, but this one DEFINITLY needs to be checked out at full resolution. I have included the link the the big boy below. This was a reverse lens shot using my Rebel XT, 17-85mm IS 4.0-5.6 EFS lens held onto the body backwards... set at 17mm, ISO100, 1/100th with flash and home made diffuser. This is a Mosquito!!!!

Full sizer - http://www.jdhaesloop.com/IMG_3493.JPG

It was suprisingly photogenic too... He only flew away twice and I promptly caught him with a empty prego container and posed him again. He was there for like an hour! HAHAHAH - heres the little devil (with the lens on the right way) http://www.jdhaesloop.com/IMG_3502.JPG

Who says you need to spend $1500 on the 65mm macro lens and macro flash. Everyone bust out your 18-55mm kit lenses and start catchin' bugs!! :rofl

IMG_3493s.JPG

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2006
    Amazing shot- Just shows what can be done with "normal" lenses :)
    What aperture was the lens at- did you set it before reversing ?
    Brian V.
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    Indeed, excellent work! Neat lookin' little pest, isn't he?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    I set it to F4 before taking the lens off... Need every bit of light possible....
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    :cry :cry What a beautiful macro eek7.gif

you dont put any macro lens ? or you reversed your lens on some lens headscratch.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    That's pretty darn cool!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    sirsloop wrote:
    I generally dont upload full size shots, but this one DEFINITLY needs to be checked out at full resolution. I have included the link the the big boy below. This was a reverse lens shot using my Rebel XT, 17-85mm IS 4.0-5.6 EFS lens held onto the body backwards... set at 17mm, ISO100, 1/100th with flash and home made diffuser. This is a Mosquito!!!!

Full sizer - http://www.jdhaesloop.com/IMG_3493.JPG

It was suprisingly photogenic too... He only flew away twice and I promptly caught him with a empty prego container and posed him again. He was there for like an hour! HAHAHAH - heres the little devil (with the lens on the right way) http://www.jdhaesloop.com/IMG_3502.JPG

Who says you need to spend $1500 on the 65mm macro lens and macro flash. Everyone bust out your 18-55mm kit lenses and start catchin' bugs!! rolleyes1.gif

Ahhhhhh I see we have another person HOOKED clap.gifclap.gif
    Those eyes are quite amazing aren't they, like hundreds of tiny mirrors all carefully lined up in sequence.......allmost like a curcuite board.

You got some excellent detail in this shot, yep I can see why your excited about it thumb.gif Good for you ..... you keep posting them okay.
    .....Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    :cry :cry What a beautiful macro eek7.gif

you dont put any macro lens ? or you reversed your lens on some lens headscratch.gif

Grab your kit lens (18-55 or 17-85mm IS works well). Put the lens on the camera, set it to Av mode and set the aperture to the most open setting (F4 in this case). Shut off the camera and remove the lens. Turn the camera on without a lens. Physically hold the front of the lens up against the body of the camera, its on backwards now. Look through the viewfinder, adjust your range to focus (you'll need to be like 2-3 inches from the subject at 17mm... farther out at higher zoom settings). Press the shutter button!

Keep in mind, the DOF is like STUPID small. I could only capture a fraction of a mosquitos eyeball. I tried taking the shot at a 45° angle, but its just too narrow. You have to shoot something thats at the same range, or so small that its the only thing you want to see.

If you have tried it, you have without a doubt found it to be extremely difficult to get results. Light is VERY precious, and its VERY hard to see where the focus is.

Give it a shot on something stupid like a grain of rice, and I think you will REALLY appreciate how insanely crazy stupid nuts this macro really is. I picked up a few prints of this one... :D
  • David TaylorDavid Taylor Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    Sweet :D I'll have to try that. Thanks for explaining.
    Another good tip...

Make sure your front lens (the larger side) is absolutely clean. Normally a little dust on the far end of the lens wont hurt you much. Because its now right next to the sensor, you will get dust spots from crap on your UV filter or whatever.

And another one just to stress the DOF limitations of this style...this is what you are workin with here... the DOF on an eye of a mosquito :)

IMG_3474s.JPG

full: http://www.jdhaesloop.com/IMG_3474.JPG
    sirsloop wrote:
    Grab your kit lens (18-55 or 17-85mm IS works well). Put the lens on the camera, set it to Av mode and set the aperture to the most open setting (F4 in this case). Shut off the camera and remove the lens.
    Some good advice, but since its the second time someone mentioned it in this thread, I just have to ask:

On new AF lenses, what's this about "setting the aperture on the lens first"... As far as I can tell, the aperture on all new electronic AF lenses is always wide open until the camera body closes it down, either by pressing the DOF preview button or actually tripping the shutter to make the aperture close down. Otherwise, you're always looking through a wide open lens. If not, you'd see less light as you changed the aperture - which you certainly don't. All that happens on your 20D or D70 as you change the aperture dial is the little digital number changes. I'm quite certain the lenses have no "memory" of the last aperture setting they were on.

This is kind of a moot point since default is wide open and thats what you want for reversed macro shots.

Did I mention this is a cool shot? lol3.gif
    Erik

DoctorIt wrote:
    Some good advice, but since its the second time someone mentioned it in this thread, I just have to ask:

On new AF lenses, what's this about "setting the aperture on the lens first"... As far as I can tell, the aperture on all new electronic AF lenses is always wide open until the camera body closes it down, either by pressing the DOF preview button or actually tripping the shutter to make the aperture close down. Otherwise, you're always looking through a wide open lens. If not, you'd see less light as you changed the aperture - which you certainly don't. All that happens on your 20D or D70 as you change the aperture dial is the little digital number changes. I'm quite certain the lenses have no "memory" of the last aperture setting they were on.

This is kind of a moot point since default is wide open and thats what you want for reversed macro shots.

Did I mention this is a cool shot? lol3.gif

Now that you mentioned this... I gotta agree! 100% correct.

Take your camera, put it in Av mode. Put the view finder up towards a light bulb or your computer monitor. Hold down the preview button while looking through the lens end, and adjust the stop knob at the same time. You will see the aperture close up as long as you hold that preview button down. If you turn off the camera, the aperture goes full open.

Good call! thumb.gif
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2006
    Just out of interest- you can preset the aperture on the lens by setting the desired aperture, pressing the DOF preview button and then remove the lens whilst keeping the DOF preview button depressed (and the camera still on) just tried it on ny 300D with a kit lens :)
    Brian V.
    edited September 13, 2006
    Just out of interest- you can preset the aperture on the lens by setting the desired aperture, pressing the DOF preview button and then remove the lens whilst keeping the DOF preview button depressed (and the camera still on) just tried it on ny 300D with a kit lens :)
    Brian V.
    that's suprising... it's also something I'd be a bit afraid to try. thanks for experimenting Lord V!
    Erik

• Blue SnapshotsBlue Snapshots Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2006
    That is waaaay kewl
    thumb.gif

The first thought that came to me was..."how do you keep light from sneaking in the camera". Do you wrap everything with duct tape?headscratch.gif

Think I have all your instructions. Will give this a try. Thanks for sharing this tip and the amazin' photo.
    My Smugmug Snaps

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange
  • zackerzacker Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    I believe you can get reverse mounting rings off ebay now. Chek it out! Maybe thats what Ill do...lol im still not selling my 100MM macro though, its a sharp puppy, prolly my sharpest lens!
    great job!
    http://www.brokenfencephotography.com :D

www.theanimalhaven.com :thumb

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    Nice!
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • DJKennedyDJKennedy Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    Apparently, I can't do this with my A100...the 20D I can, but I will have to try it again later with a different lens.

Pretty impresive tho!
    http://www.djkennedy.com

What did Cinderella say when she left the photo shop? "One day my prints will come."