Question about CS2 editing?

GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
edited September 20, 2006 in Finishing School
Ok here it goes......

I take a raw image...turn the saturation down and contrast.....dump it to CS2.
Then I crop it.....
Resize it......
Do USM then noise reduction.
Try to add my sig and it won't do it!
Why?

If I don't crop and just do a resize it'll work! :dunno
Is there a remidy for this?? :scratch
Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2006
    16-bit image?
    Ok here it goes......

I take a raw image...turn the saturation down and contrast.....dump it to CS2.
    Then I crop it.....
    Resize it......
    Do USM then noise reduction.
    Try to add my sig and it won't do it!
    Why?

If I don't crop and just do a resize it'll work! ne_nau.gif
    Is there a remidy for this?? headscratch.gif

Wild guess. Are you by any chance trying to run an action that doesn't work in 16-bit mode? RAW files often come into CS2 by default as 16-bit images. If you aren't sure, then make sure your image is an 8-bit image (Image/Mode/Convert) before adding your sig and try again.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    jfriend wrote:
    Wild guess. Are you by any chance trying to run an action that doesn't work in 16-bit mode? RAW files often come into CS2 by default as 16-bit images. If you aren't sure, then make sure your image is an 8-bit image (Image/Mode/Convert) before adding your sig and try again.

Checked for that....they seem to be 8-bit when I'm done and it still don't work! headscratch.gif

Like I said it works if all I do is resize.....seems like something gets screwy around the cropping point?

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    How do you add your sig? I'm guessing it's an action, but what does it do, exactly?
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    How do you add your sig? I'm guessing it's an action, but what does it do, exactly?

Nope I do the T text icon from the genetal Iconized menu that has the healing brush and all that in it.
    On mine it's floats on the far left by default.

For the © symbol I use TTF Arial Black then character map sequence ALT-0169.
    Then I use the TTF Everett Steele's Hand font which is exactly like my hand written sig!!
    Dunno how to make an action of my own so I do it manually. ne_nau.gif

Some ideas...
    Nope I do the T text icon from the genetal Iconized menu that has the healing brush and all that in it.
    On mine it's floats on the far left by default.

For the © symbol I use TTF Arial Black then character map sequence ALT-0169.
    Then I use the TTF Everett Steele's Hand font which is exactly like my hand written sig!!
    Dunno how to make an action of my own so I do it manually. ne_nau.gif

Some possibilities:
    • You have layers and have the wrong layer selected when trying to add the text
    • Your cropping has messed with the resolution in a way that they text you are trying to add is really, really tiny.
    • Your text color, layer blend mode or opacity is messed up so the text is transparent
    • Your text layer is going underneath some other layer and being obscured
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    Dunno how to make an action of my own

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/344063
    jfriend wrote:
    Some possibilities:
    • You have layers and have the wrong layer selected when trying to add the text
    • Your cropping has messed with the resolution in a way that they text you are trying to add is really, really tiny.
    • Your text color, layer blend mode or opacity is messed up so the text is transparent
    • Your text layer is going underneath some other layer and being obscured

Gezzzzz I dunno what's wrong....even after I save and go back to image it won't work!
    Just the do dad to move things around on page.

I don't even get the blinking | I usually get to add text.
    This one really has me stumped! headscratch.gif

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    Gezzzzz I dunno what's wrong....even after I save and go back to image it won't work!
    Just the do dad to move things around on page.

I don't even get the blinking | I usually get to add text.
    This one really has me stumped! headscratch.gif

headscratch.gifscratch Can you post a screen shot with the layers palette before and after adding the text? I suspect there is some really simple problem here, but it doesn't occur to me what it might be.
  • juliejulesjuliejules Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    Does the USM step create a layer mask? You would have to select the background layer from the layer palette after that to add the sig to the background layer. That's probably the layer with the actual pixels.
    --juliejules
    http://www.juliejules.com
    Canon 70D, Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS, Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L, Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM, Canon Ext 1.4x II, SpeedLite 430EX
    edited September 15, 2006
    Not REAL familiar with CS2 but I did trace my problem to just after cropping.
    Even after I save a image I can't even go back to it later and add my sig! headscratch.gif

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2006
    What RS said, post a screen grab to show us what your layers palette looks like.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited September 16, 2006
    Check the resolution field in the crop toolbar
    Not REAL familiar with CS2 but I did trace my problem to just after cropping.
    Even after I save a image I can't even go back to it later and add my sig! headscratch.gif
    My guess is that when you crop, you are setting the resolution to something that makes the font size in your sig go nuts. When you crop in CS2, you should make absolutely sure that the "resolution" setting in the toolbar is empty (no value). This will make it so that the crop tool only crops pixels off and doesn't do any resampling. When using fonts in a CS2 document, the resolution of the document is used to determine how large to show a given font size (it isn't used for much else so you can normally ignore it).

If when you crop, you inadvertently change the resolution, it can really mess up the font size in your sig.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    wxwax wrote:
    What RS said, post a screen grab to show us what your layers palette looks like.
    What Richard and Sid said.
    Screen caps will remove the guesswork.

P.S. You are REALLY MISSING OUT if you don't use actions for things like this.

-Jon
  • digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    Like the others here, it's near impossible to guess what's going on in your workflow that makes it impossible for you to select a different tool from the tool bar.

However, when a tool doesn't seem to want to work or select, it usually means that you are in some mode where it is expecting you to do something such as "confirm this action" (i.e. click the check mark, hit enter ... something like that ...)

Try hitting Escape a couple of times or the enter key and see if you can select the type tool.

But before even trying that, you say you are opening a raw file and dumping it into CS2. Are you using Adobe Camera Raw to convert your file? (either through Bridge or directly through CS2). If so, why don't you crop the photo right there? The advantage of this is that you can non-destructively crop the photo (any time you re-open the photo it has the same crop), straighten horizon lines (or pick a funky angle on purpose!) and upsample the size of the photo if required.

95649168-M.jpg

Just my 2 cents ...
    edited September 17, 2006
    digismile wrote:
    Like the others here, it's near impossible to guess what's going on in your workflow that makes it impossible for you to select a different tool from the tool bar.

However, when a tool doesn't seem to want to work or select, it usually means that you are in some mode where it is expecting you to do something such as "confirm this action" (i.e. click the check mark, hit enter ... something like that ...)

Try hitting Escape a couple of times or the enter key and see if you can select the type tool.

But before even trying that, you say you are opening a raw file and dumping it into CS2. Are you using Adobe Camera Raw to convert your file? (either through Bridge or directly through CS2). If so, why don't you crop the photo right there? The advantage of this is that you can non-destructively crop the photo (any time you re-open the photo it has the same crop), straighten horizon lines (or pick a funky angle on purpose!) and upsample the size of the photo if required.

Just my 2 cents ...

Give this man a cigar!
    Destructive cropping definately makes sense!

BTW: I now crop in ACR....ship to CS2 and now my sig WORKS!

• bigpixbigpix Registered Users Posts: 371 Major grins
    very easy........ make a duplicate layer......and do what you want.....
    Cheers...... Big Pix
    Lake Macquarie NSW Australia
    www.bigpix.smugmug.com
    Please do not EDIT
    my Images
  • larry llarry l Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    just curious
    I'm glad you worked it out.

I am just curious as to why you do your noise reduction at the end of your work flow. Everything I have ever read indicates that it should be one of the first actions. Do you have a specific reason for this?

Inquiring minds want to know.
    edited September 20, 2006
    larry l wrote:
    I'm glad you worked it out.

I am just curious as to why you do your noise reduction at the end of your work flow. Everything I have ever read indicates that it should be one of the first actions. Do you have a specific reason for this?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Guess it's just me.....backasswards! rolleyes1.gif