Options

Challenge 73 Synchronous Butterflies Open Critique

SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
edited September 17, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
Here you go.
I haven't even cropped this shot yet.
Please scrutinize this as much as you want. I'm quite proficient in post production, so be as creative in thoughts as you like.

-Jon

EXIF:
Shutter 1/180
f3.3
40mm
Flash Fired

Comments

• Options
    mbzmbz Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2006
    I like it.
  • Options
    edited September 14, 2006
    Thanks for the compliment MBZ.
    Hoping to get some feedback on this too.

-Jon
  • Options
    Cyber6Cyber6 Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    I like it too.

I do find the colors of the flower to be "overpowering" the butterlies. I would like to see the butterflies with the stronger color.

Since you are proficient in PP, I have an idea for you..mwink.gif ... Convert the pic into black and white, but keep the butterflies in in full color (maybe up the contrast/saturation). I did something similar to that and the effect is amazing. (I'll see if I can find the pic.. is an old one)

C.

Found it.. (no laughing about IQ, this pic is from the time with no digital cameras.. )

alanita1999wg9.th.jpg
    ~~ Never argue with an idiot -- he will drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience.~~
  • Options
    Zahid NiazZahid Niaz Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    I like it! The butterfly on the right needs some colour correction and sharpness. when both the butterflies will look equal in density and sharpness, the image will become more powerful.
    Regards
    Zahid Niaz
  • Options
    Thanks Cyber6 and Zahid.
    I agree w/ both comments and will make changes soon so you can see which version you like.

-Jon
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    I love the photo and IMHO it fits the challenge theme. thumb.gif I like it as is and am not bothered by the slight color and saturation difference between the two butterflies or the brightness of the flower. When I first opened your thread and looked at the photograph it was the butterflies I noticed. Only after reading the other comments did I focus on the flowers and see the difference between the butterflies. That said, it will be interesting to see how your pp'd version(s) look. If you can modify it without making the photo seem too stylized, I might like it even better than the original. :D Whatever you do, you have a contender.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    I'm working on all the pp ideas. I'll post them soon.
    I got side tracked and thought this shot had potential to be in challenge 73 as well.
    It's not perfected in pp since i want everyones opinion before I put too much time into this.
    I will definitely finish it regardless since I like it. Just want to know what priority it should be.

-Jon
  • Options
    mbzmbz Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    I believe the first one is better for the subject, but of course it is only my own opinion.:):
  • Options
    Here's the B&W conversion.
    A little touch up left. But you get the idea.....

-Jon
  • Options
    Here is color corrected.
    Better tell the truth or I'll shoot you.

-Jon
  • Options
    Cyber6Cyber6 Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited September 15, 2006
    Good Stuff SlayerRoll !!

The flower pic is good.

The B/W doesn't work. The flower looks dead.

The corrected Butterfly colors really works. You are good at PP.. (Just wondering if a tighter crop will suit them better)

C.
    ~~ Never argue with an idiot -- he will drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience.~~
  • Options
    GouriGouri Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    Nice cature of the butterflies and the flower. :):

I would have gone for a much tigter crop - distracting background.
  • Options
    Nick MorganNick Morgan Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    I agree that the b/w doesn't really work, and I also agree that a crop would probably do it some good, but I personally wouldn't crop that heavily.

Otherwise, it's a really nice shot and good for this challenge. Good luck !:):
  • Options
    Haven't cropped it yet.

Here's a crop shot. I like the idea of crop, any thoughts on how the crop?

Any other thoughts?

-Jon
  • Options
    Sydnie&AdisonSydnie&Adison Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    I think i like the flower pic better than the butterflies for the challenge.
    Both great pics though.
  • Options
    douglasdouglas Registered Users Posts: 696 Major grins
    I like the color and cropped version best, fits the challenge well.
    Best regards,
    douglas
  • Options
    Nick MorganNick Morgan Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    Might just be me, but I think the picture is less interesting when it is cropped so tightly. Because it is center-framed and more symetrical, I find it seems familiar or packaged to seem familiar or somehow easy to digest, whereas in fact this image is quite unusual and therefore interesting.

I probably would have done the same cropping of the left part and the bottom, but I would have kept a bit more room on top and to the right, so we see the blurred line extening out and so the subject is a bit off center.

Of course, it all comes down to a close judgment call. Either way it's still a nice shot.
  • Options
    Might just be me, but I think the picture is less interesting when it is cropped so tightly. Because it is center-framed and more symetrical, I find it seems familiar or packaged to seem familiar or somehow easy to digest, whereas in fact this image is quite unusual and therefore interesting.

I probably would have done the same cropping of the left part and the bottom, but I would have kept a bit more room on top and to the right, so we see the blurred line extening out and so the subject is a bit off center.

Of course, it all comes down to a close judgment call. Either way it's still a nice shot.
    No doubt. The rule of thirds is king for this shot.
    I was blasting through my last shoot and tossed this in there to crop and post it.
    I'll spend some real thought on it tonight and see how I feel the crop should be done to post for the challenge.

-Jon
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2006
    I like the color balanced version marginally better than the original but I would leave the image upcropped. Sure, the rule of thirds rules, but not all the time. Artifically pushing the flower and butterflies off to one side is not going to improve the impact of this photo for me. That said, one of the things I don't like about the square crop is that it emphasizes the centeredness (if there is such a word) of the subject and somehow takes away some of the wonder of the photograph. Go figure!

Anyway, IMHO the soft background provides a lovely backdrop. I particularly like the way the stem fades into the blur at the bottom. Oh, and definitely leave the pic in full color.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    I suggest doing a clean and proportional vertical crop, dont even touch the color's curves, or if anything just give it a very minute S-curve to give it more pop, but i think it has enough pop as-is. I love thats hit, its like looking at a mirror image. How lucky can you be capturing that! What kind of lens were you using?
  • Options
    Nikkor 28-80 @ 40mm.

Thanks for the compliment.

I was litterally inches away from them when I got this shot.

I'm still playing w/ the crop and haven't found that "perfect" crop yet.
    Sigh.
    Time is running short though and I have a killer weekend on the way!

To get this lucky on a shot and then blow the deadline would really be a shame...

I need to work on a fitting title too.

-Jon
  • Options
    twinbnjtwinbnj Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    The original is a wonderful shot and i see you have entered it
    clap.gif

Best of luck !!!
  • Options
    edited September 17, 2006
    Thanks twin.