First Volleyball Game for the local paper

donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
edited September 14, 2006 in Sports
After supplying the local paper with a number of shots this summer, they asked me to shoot some sports. I did my first volleyball game last night. I don't expect a lot of feedback from the paper on these, so I thought I'd see if I could get some here. Please let me know what you think.

I did a fair bit of shooting with the fish eye.
95010283-L.jpg

95011260-L.jpg

I did a little shooting with the 50mm f1.4 from the edge of the net. It got me a faster shutter and lower ISO than the other f2.8 lenses. I was surprised that in many cases it was long enough to get a good shot. I probably could have bumped the shutter speed up to 1/500th.
95009017-L.jpg

This was shot with the 70-200mm f2.8
95014640-L.jpg

The rest of the photos I submitted to the paper can be seen here: http://www.donek.smugmug.com/gallery/1885818/1
Sean Martin
www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!

Comments

• photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2006
    those shots lend themselves to fisheye use...number 1 is a fine shot.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    Me too. I like the fish shots.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    ian408 wrote:
    Me too. I like the fish shots.

I've trolled around a bit and haven't found any similar shots. Is the use of a fisheye rare, or am I looking in the wrong place? Would love to know what I can do to improve the other shots. Ideas or examples of really good volleyball shots would be great. Something to emulate or inspire me to try something.

Thanks for the comments.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

• Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    I like the first one the best. A very lively perspective and composition.
  • CalexPhotoCalexPhoto Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited September 14, 2006
    donek wrote:
    I've trolled around a bit and haven't found any similar shots. Is the use of a fisheye rare, or am I looking in the wrong place? Would love to know what I can do to improve the other shots. Ideas or examples of really good volleyball shots would be great. Something to emulate or inspire me to try something.

Thanks for the comments.
    Great shots, I think, at least IMO that the fish eye is rarely used in Sports pictures and was very cleverly used by you in your pictures. Thanks for sharing.
    LT
    Sony A700&VG; KM 7D&VG; KM 5D; Min 28-75/2.8; 50/1.7; Tammie 17-50/2.8; Tammie 90/2.8 Macro; Min 80-200/2.8; and Min 300/2.8, two flashes, and a couple of other accessories.
  • botanistbotanist Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    I like the fisheye but as was said using it in sports is rare due to the unsharp/distorted nature of the glass.

I dig #1 the most. #2 is proof positive that the angle you choose for any SWA shot must be made deliberately depending on your purpose. While I think that's a great shot from an abstract point of view I don't think it lends itself well to sports. JM2C though ne_nau.gif
    Smug: botanist.smugmug.com
    Photog: www.Exifocus.com
    Work: www.WorkSafeBoredom.com

"The worst photographer is the one who never takes a picture."
  • FrankieAngFrankieAng Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    I have a question to ask of those of you who have shot volleyball before, is an 85mm f/1.4 lens too much focal length if I shoot from the side court and or seating? I would think that it would be fine for shooting from the end court toward the net to catch players above the net, but I am curious if it is too much lens for side court shooting. Thanks for your opinions.
    Frank
    (Pbase supporter) www.pbase.com/eng45ine
    FrankieAng wrote:
    I have a question to ask of those of you who have shot volleyball before, is an 85mm f/1.4 lens too much focal length if I shoot from the side court and or seating? I would think that it would be fine for shooting from the end court toward the net to catch players above the net, but I am curious if it is too much lens for side court shooting. Thanks for your opinions.

The third shot was 50mm from the edge of the net and then cropped further. I would think 85mm would be fine. I think you'll get a bit too much in the frame shooting towards the net, but it depends on what you're looking to get and how much room you have to crop. I think I'll spend at least 2 of the matches during the next game trying to get shots of the girls diving out of the court to get the ball. Your 85mm might be ideal for that sort of shot too.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

botanist wrote:
    I like the fisheye but as was said using it in sports is rare due to the unsharp/distorted nature of the glass.

I dig #1 the most. #2 is proof positive that the angle you choose for any SWA shot must be made deliberately depending on your purpose. While I think that's a great shot from an abstract point of view I don't think it lends itself well to sports. JM2C though ne_nau.gif

That's interesting as I've seen them used a lot on snowboarding. I bought the lense specifically for sports. Here's a shot I got a couple years ago.
    26214848-L-1.jpg
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

• FrankieAngFrankieAng Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    donek wrote:
    The third shot was 50mm from the edge of the net and then cropped further. I would think 85mm would be fine. I think you'll get a bit too much in the frame shooting towards the net, but it depends on what you're looking to get and how much room you have to crop. I think I'll spend at least 2 of the matches during the next game trying to get shots of the girls diving out of the court to get the ball. Your 85mm might be ideal for that sort of shot too.
    Thanks Sean, I appreciate your thoughts. I plan to rent the 85mm and give it a try. I have heard that the Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 can be difficult to shoot due to the DOF, but I am curious to give it a try. When I do, I will post some images for everyone's critique.
    Frank
    (Pbase supporter) www.pbase.com/eng45ine