Options

vB quick reply turned off...why?

botanistbotanist Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
edited October 26, 2006 in Dgrin Forum Support
Hello all :D

This is my first new thread here, and already i'm badgering you lol I did some searches to make sure no one else has asked, but why is quick reply turned off? Even in vB 3.5.x the AJAX quick reply is stable enough to ensure compatibility with several major browsers (IE, FF, Opera, and Safari come to mind).

It'd make replying MUCH easier, and faster, and probably promote it (which it sounds like forum participation, especially from lurkers, is part of a big push from the 'powers that be').

Anywho, it's a feature that already exists, we're just hiding it...so I thought I'd ask that it be turned on.

Also think about:
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=96602&highlight=automerge
That's Automerge double post. So if someone posts twice in a row the forums auto-magically merge them into one post, helping to stem inflated post counts and skewing the reply stats per thread.

Just an idea! Thanks for listening.

John
Smug: botanist.smugmug.com
Photog: www.Exifocus.com
Work: www.WorkSafeBoredom.com

"The worst photographer is the one who never takes a picture."

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2006
    botanist wrote:
    Hello all :D

This is my first new thread here, and already i'm badgering you lol I did some searches to make sure no one else has asked, but why is quick reply turned off? Even in vB 3.5.x the AJAX quick reply is stable enough to ensure compatibility with several major browsers (IE, FF, Opera, and Safari come to mind).

It'd make replying MUCH easier, and faster, and probably promote it (which it sounds like forum participation, especially from lurkers, is part of a big push from the 'powers that be').

Anywho, it's a feature that already exists, we're just hiding it...so I thought I'd ask that it be turned on.

Also think about:
    http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=96602&highlight=automerge
    That's Automerge double post. So if someone posts twice in a row the forums auto-magically merge them into one post, helping to stem inflated post counts and skewing the reply stats per thread.

Just an idea! Thanks for listening.

John
    Hi John, thanks for the tip about the double posting thing - we'll investigate that!

As to quick reply, we have it off now, as it does not include the quoted message, and makes it harder to follow what's going on.. make sense? ear.gif
  • Options
    Andy wrote:
    Hi John, thanks for the tip about the double posting thing - we'll investigate that!

As to quick reply, we have it off now, as it does not include the quoted message, and makes it harder to follow what's going on.. make sense? ear.gif
    well, your reasoning makes sense, but it's easily fixable? I can't comment on the skin you're running, but stop by here:

http://chicagosql.com/content/t7253-dgrin-test-thread.html

I made a test thread for you. When you get there (hmmm, might have to log in to see the button. In that case I am attaching a screenshot as well) you'll see 3 quote buttons under each post. 1 is for Multi-quoting (allows you to quote several posts at one time) 1 is for regular quote (which is like your Reply button) and 1 is for Quick Reply Quote. When you click that it takes you down to the quick reply box...in the quick reply box is a checkbox "Quote message in reply?" (you can default that to checked)...once they fill in their response it all posts including the quoted response :)

This is default vB functionality as of...i'd say 3.0.x but "possibly" since 3.5.0, so you don't have to "change" anything except possibly making a new icon that matches the current template. thumb.gif

screenshot:
    http://worksafeboredom.com/images/screenshot.jpg

(PS i've got 5+yrs as SA on several vB forums if you wanted to get "technical" at any point.)

• Options
    sorry...another Idea
    http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=123180&highlight=favorite+smilies

Favorite Smilies. It allows us Dgrinners to set our own top 15 (as many as you've set in the backend for the reply box) smilies based on which ones we use the most, etc.

thumb.gif

• Options
    Do you hate me yet?
    http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=92410

Seems like a good idea for this site...unless we already have something like this and I didn't notice?
    Post Thank You
    About this hack:
    One of the biggest problems on forums as you may know is 'posts boosting'. There are users who LOVE to say 'thanks' when ever they can. How can it hurt? Their post count goes up, they have nothing to loose.

There are also users who really like to express their thanks to post but don't like posting a post that looks like they're post boosting.

Then comes the moderators who have to delete people's thanks yous so a thread can look readable with out the thanks yous thrown around.

Finally comes the posters of these useful posts. They have no idea how many people really likes their posts if only some people say 'thanks'.

What this hack does is fix ALL these problems - except those users who like post boosting. This places a button called 'thanks.' When a user clicks on it, it places his username in a box right under the post saying that so-and-so says 'thanks' for the post. Every-one who clicks is placed in one box.

By giving your users the extra feature, you forum will look allot nice and organized. It is a granted liking by ALL the members of your forum.

• Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2006
    Thanks
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited October 5, 2006
    botanist wrote:
    http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=123180&highlight=favorite+smilies

Favorite Smilies. It allows us Dgrinners to set our own top 15 (as many as you've set in the backend for the reply box) smilies based on which ones we use the most, etc.

thumb.gif
    I really like this. If I get a chance, I'll install. I've delayed because I hate making template & code changes so things break when I upgrade.
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2006
    Baldy wrote:
    I really like this. If I get a chance, I'll install. I've delayed because I hate making template & code changes so things break when I upgrade.

*ugh* tell me about it...and they just released 3.6.2 w/ a solid series of security updates...i just finished doing all of that. Wasn't as bad as the jump from 3.5.x to 3.6.0 though! That was a beast.

Anywho, if i can be of any service don't hesitate! thumb.gif

• Options
    edited October 6, 2006
    botanist wrote:
    *ugh* tell me about it...and they just released 3.6.2 w/ a solid series of security updates...i just finished doing all of that. Wasn't as bad as the jump from 3.5.x to 3.6.0 though! That was a beast.

Anywho, if i can be of any service don't hesitate! thumb.gif
    It was 3.whatever to 3.5 that killed me. I spent days on that between dgrin (which was fairly easy) and www.advrider.com which was a royal pain). I thought the whole idea of the plug-in architecture was to spare us this pain... I'm about to work on this smilie thing which sounds very cool, but it seems to be more than just plug-ins. :cry:cry:cry
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2006
    Okay, I've installed the fav smilie app on ADVrider and it seems to be working and the inmates there like it. It's only working for certain skins, natch... :cry

If we work out the kinks and it's popular, I'll bring it here.
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2006
    Baldy wrote:
    Okay, I've installed the fav smilie app on ADVrider and it seems to be working and the inmates there like it. It's only working for certain skins, natch... :cry

If we work out the kinks and it's popular, I'll bring it here.

I'd have to look into the code again, but does it require alot of template additions? If so you'd have to do them to each skin, which is a PITA for sure.

When I updated to 3.6.2 it broke so I'm still waiting for an update. ne_nau.gif

• Options
    JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2006
    botanist wrote:
    http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=92410

Seems like a good idea for this site...unless we already have something like this and I didn't notice?

Another vB forum I go to has this "reputation" thingie which we use as a comment system. You see a post you like or just want to say "lol" or "thanks", so you just click on the poster's reputation button. But I for one like fascicious posts in the appropriate environment. :D
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose