Shooting a military funeral-advice?

IreneRojasIreneRojas Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
edited September 14, 2006 in Technique
I've been asked to shoot a small military funeral (cremation actually) for a local paper this coming Saturday. The first part of the event will take place inside a church, which I'm not assigned to shoot. My focus is on the ceremony after the service, the Taps, folding the flag, etc. I'm wondering if you guys could share your experiences from shooting such a thing. Please keep replies relevant to your experiences, not politics.

Thanks a lot in advance.
Irene
Irene Rojas
BlogWebsite

Comments

• botanistbotanist Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2006
    ireno315 wrote:
    I've been asked to shoot a small military funeral (cremation actually) for a local paper this coming Saturday. The first part of the event will take place inside a church, which I'm not assigned to shoot. My focus is on the ceremony after the service, the Taps, folding the flag, etc. I'm wondering if you guys could share your experiences from shooting such a thing. Please keep replies relevant to your experiences, not politics.

Thanks a lot in advance.
    Irene
    as with anything outdoors, weather will be an issue. keep the shutter speed up if you can, blur during a flag folding for example might be a bad thing...then again if shot right it might be a great thing!

Memory cards...shoot more than you need to. Can't say it enough. Unless you're one of those lucky sods who can get the shot every time with 2-3 exposures, bring extra memory and USE it. Once the ceremony is over you will never get another shot to retake any of these.

Just some suggestions I've learned along the way from photographing important occassions. Good Luck!
    Smug: botanist.smugmug.com
    Photog: www.Exifocus.com
    Work: www.WorkSafeBoredom.com

"The worst photographer is the one who never takes a picture."
  • sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    ireno315 wrote:

Thanks a lot in advance.
    Irene

I'd be sure to dress for the occasion... dark or black formal outfit

If the whole event is inside, I would make a trip out to see what the lighting inside is like. If there's not good light, you may need a flash for the event. If its an outside event, see if there is heavy shade at the time that you will be shooting, ect ect. Be prepared for bad weather as well...
  • StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    sirsloop wrote:
    I'd be sure to dress for the occasion... dark or black formal outfit

If the whole event is inside, I would make a trip out to see what the lighting inside is like. If there's not good light, you may need a flash for the event. If its an outside event, see if there is heavy shade at the time that you will be shooting, ect ect. Be prepared for bad weather as well...

I would make sure to get the classic shots. The salute, the firing of the guns, the flag passing to the mother/wife, even if it's just the hands changing the flag from the officer to the mother/wife. My last military funeral was my brother in law 2 years ago and I was so upset I don't remember much, but those things/moments still stand out in my mind.
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • botanistbotanist Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    I would make sure to get the classic shots. The salute, the firing of the guns, the flag passing to the mother/wife, even if it's just the hands changing the flag from the officer to the mother/wife. My last military funeral was my brother in law 2 years ago and I was so upset I don't remember much, but those things/moments still stand out in my mind.
    absolutely. This is where Continuous mode and a big memory card are crucial. You can't miss that moment, once it passes it's gone.
    Smug: botanist.smugmug.com
    Photog: www.Exifocus.com
    Work: www.WorkSafeBoredom.com

"The worst photographer is the one who never takes a picture."
  • spider-tspider-t Registered Users Posts: 443 Major grins
    ireno315 wrote:

Thanks a lot in advance.
    Irene
    I shot one this year, but for the family instead of a paper. It was really quite moving.

Here are my tips:

Wear a black suit. Demonstrate as much respect as possible. It will help offset the fact that you will be stepping over graves to capture the exposures you are going to need. It's sort of an odd position to be in.

I found using a long lens (70-200/2.8) was best for the ceremony itself so I could walk all around in the background and not disturb the event. It's a fast ceremony, only 15 minutes long. Consider a second setup as backup.

I also went to the cemetery a few days before the event to cover the scenic parts so I wouldn't have to worry about anything but the capturing the people that day.

Tell a little story about the cemetery itself, even if it's nowhere near the headstone of that particular person:

67063719-S.jpg

The flag folding is really beautiful. Take a lot of shots of that:

67050779-S.jpg

If the weather is grey, keep to the ground instead of the sky:

67048281-S.jpg

There is usually lots of "digging" or construction at cemeteries. Keep an eye on your frames so the backgrounds don't show all the commotion that is really there:

67050348-S.jpg

Keep shooting, you never know where your opportunities are going to come. It's over fast:

67052326-S.jpg

Good luck with your shoot!

cheers,
    Trish