Exciting News (Finally) for Pentax Users...The K10D

jdfaithjdfaith Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
edited September 16, 2006 in Cameras
When I saw this yesterday, I felt like a kid on Christmas morning. There'd been much speculation for some time but a preview of the camera has been released and it looks like it was worth the wait. My *istD has served me well for nearly three years but boy am I giddy.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06091305pentaxk10dpreviewed.asp

pentaxk10d-001.jpg

Comments

• gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2006
    Is this the first camera to offer DNG format? This really looks like some serious competition. We'll see how it fairs in actual use.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • jdfaithjdfaith Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
    I think Hasselblad also uses DNG. Not too sure about others.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    Thanks for this link! It looks like a pretty good unit as far as features, but let's see how it compares to the Nikon D80 and the Sony Alpha for image quality, especially at high ISOs.

I'm amazed that they actually describe the shutter durability rating.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2006
    gluwater wrote:
    Is this the first camera to offer DNG format? This really looks like some serious competition. We'll see how it fairs in actual use.

No, Leica and Hasselblad were the first over a year ago. Here's Adobe's press release: http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/pressreleases/200503/030805DNG.html

So now there's three manufacturers. Looks like it's starting to gain a little traction. I still have reservations for using DNG right now, but hope it can do what Adobe hopes for.
  • SuperJaredSuperJared Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    I've been looking at this camera extensively since last night and I'm rather impressed, considering the price point. You can pick up this guy with the 18-55 (a rather decent lens) for $999 -- the same price as a Nikon D80 body. $899 MSRP without lens (oddly $920 at Adorama).

From what I've seen this camera fills my need above the D80. Same-ish 10MP sensor (though in the dPreview article it is conjectured to be from a different manufacturer), rugged plastic body is roughly equivalent, blah de dah. I've been considering the jump from my D50 to the D80, but since I only have the one lens changing mounts is not a big consideration for me.

The real deal of the K10D for me are three things:

1) Shake reduction in-camera. It seems to me this technology is really starting to work. I don't want to have to buy the Nikon 18-200 just for the VR. I can even have SR on a 20-year-old lens -- I love that!

2) Dust removal system. Dust has been a big problem for me, and while this won't be the be-all end-all, it will surely help.

3) In-Camera RAW processing. I'm sorry, but this is awesome. Most people would never use this. I will.

Anyone else have thoughts?
  • ballentphotoballentphoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    SuperJared wrote:
    I've been looking at this camera extensively since last night and I'm rather impressed, considering the price point. You can pick up this guy with the 18-55 (a rather decent lens) for $999 -- the same price as a Nikon D80 body. $899 MSRP without lens (oddly $920 at Adorama).

From what I've seen this camera fills my need above the D80. Same-ish 10MP sensor (though in the dPreview article it is conjectured to be from a different manufacturer), rugged plastic body is roughly equivalent, blah de dah. I've been considering the jump from my D50 to the D80, but since I only have the one lens changing mounts is not a big consideration for me.

1) Shake reduction in-camera. It seems to me this technology is really starting to work. I don't want to have to buy the Nikon 18-200 just for the VR. I can even have SR on a 20-year-old lens -- I love that!

2) Dust removal system. Dust has been a big problem for me, and while this won't be the be-all end-all, it will surely help.

3) In-Camera RAW processing. I'm sorry, but this is awesome. Most people would never use this. I will.

The in camera shake reduction debate will grow as more manufacturers start to add it to their cameras. I think that it will be unlikely that Nikon or Canon will add it to their DSLRS though since there is so much invested already in VR/IS, but we never know :): I am in the camp that optical stability provides better IQ rather then sensor based stabilization, but I am sure that the technology will mature. It will be interesting to see how the in body stabilization will react when you place something like a 500mm lens on the camera (not that one would want to hand hold that for long)

The dust removal system I think will be added to all DSLRs down the road, just because that will be a selling feature that many people will be looking for in their next camera (especially since Canon introduced it into the XTi 400d. The next 30d replacement will have it, the D200 replacement will have it, on up the camera food chain.
    -Michael
    Just take the picture :):
    Pictures are at available at:http://www.ballentphoto.com

My Blog: http://ballentphoto.blogspot.com
  • SuperJaredSuperJared Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    It will be interesting to see how the in body stabilization will react when you place something like a 500mm lens on the camera (not that one would want to hand hold that for long)

Fortunately I don't expect to use anything above 200mm :D
    The dust removal system I think will be added to all DSLRs down the road, just because that will be a selling feature that many people will be looking for in their next camera (especially since Canon introduced it into the XTi 400d. The next 30d replacement will have it, the D200 replacement will have it, on up the camera food chain.

As it always goes. For me, the Pentax delivers these new features in a camera within my price range. I can't justify spending $2400 for a D200 and 18-200VR, though I'd definitely like to.
  • jdfaithjdfaith Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
    While they don't yet have weather-sealed lenses, the fact that K10D body and vertical grip do, is pretty cool. As Ziggy has said, the proof will be in the images but it sure is feature packed. Amazingly so considering the price point.
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    No, Leica and Hasselblad were the first over a year ago.

The newest DNG camera being the Leica M8...would be nice to afford one.
  • kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    SuperJared wrote:
    rugged plastic body is roughly equivalent, blah de dah.

Hardly. It's much closer to the D200 in build than the D80. Plus it's sealed better than the D200 also.

wings.gif I put one on pre-order at Amazon. And barring a miracle from Oly (or anyone else) at Photokina I will be buying some Pentax glass by the end of the month to take advantage of some great rebates Pentax is offering.

$100 off 77/1.8 LTD
    $50 off 50 1.4
    $100 off the 16-45/4
    and some others but these are the ones I'm interested in at the moment.

Gene
  • mwgricemwgrice Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2006
    kini62 wrote:
    Hardly. It's much closer to the D200 in build than the D80. Plus it's sealed better than the D200 also.

wings.gif I put one on pre-order at Amazon. And barring a miracle from Oly (or anyone else) at Photokina I will be buying some Pentax glass by the end of the month to take advantage of some great rebates Pentax is offering.

$100 off 77/1.8 LTD
    $50 off 50 1.4
    $100 off the 16-45/4
    and some others but these are the ones I'm interested in at the moment.

Gene

I'm waiting until I see your photos.:D