Saving in lower resolution

mkpatilmkpatil Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
edited September 15, 2006 in Technique
Before uploading or emailing I am interested in saving the 3MB or 4MB files to lower resolution to around 300KB each. Most of the images from cameras are huge size few-feet by few-feet but at 72 DPI, therefore I have 2 options
1) modify the image size to say 4X6 size and use the corresponding DPI that will create a 300KB file or
2) save the jpg at quality of 6 or 7 instead of 12 and get the final file of 300KB.

Which one is better 1 or 2? As mentioned both the files are finally saved as 300KB. The final use of the 300KB file is printing 4X6 or 8x10 images and/also viewing the images on the web.

Thanks,
Milind

Comments

• sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2006
    mkpatil wrote:
    Before uploading or emailing I am interested in saving the 3MB or 4MB files to lower resolution to around 300KB each. Most of the images from cameras are huge size few-feet by few-feet but at 72 DPI, therefore I have 2 options
    1) modify the image size to say 4X6 size and use the corresponding DPI that will create a 300KB file or
    2) save the jpg at quality of 6 or 7 instead of 12 and get the final file of 300KB.

Which one is better 1 or 2? As mentioned both the files are finally saved as 300KB. The final use of the 300KB file is printing 4X6 or 8x10 images and/also viewing the images on the web.

Thanks,
    Milind

Why lower your shot down to 300k if you are going to put it to print? Simply upload the entire thing to smugmug and get the best possible photo on there!

If you lower the DPI down to save on file size, it will just get resampled later which is going to introduce noise. I dont think either way is really attractive, or the right way to do things...
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    mkpatil wrote:

The fact the image size is feet by feet at 72DPI is irrelevant. If you were only interested in email then I can see the desire for a smaller image size. But if you are interested in prints I wouldn't touch the file size at all, especially for an 8x10.

You have two conflicting goals here in having the same image be used for 8x10 prints and for viewing on the web. I'm wondering if you don't realize that Smugmug automatically re-sizes your really big original file into something more appropriate for viewing?
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    Save at 10
    If you're using smugmug to print, I agree with the others. Don't rez it down, because that will only lose quality.

But, do yourself a favor and save at JPEG quality 10. The files will be like a third of the size of JPEG 12 and you will not notice the difference in screen or print quality.
  • mkpatilmkpatil Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    Thank you for the feedback. The only reason I am making the files smaller in size is so that these may be uploaded faster. For various events commercial as well as volunteering, I generally end up having 1200 pictures and from my experience, because of lack of time, do not upload them at all, and end up sending the CD to the client. Since something reasonable is always better than nothing I wished to get better of options mentioned above.
    Thanks,
    Milind