How to set up this shot

cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
edited September 18, 2006 in People
I have, for some time wanted to do a nice potrait of my grandfather. Here is my idea, which I found when looking at a Time magazine picture of Sinatra. He was in the dark and only one arm was showing and a sliver for his face....essentially a low key shot. I would like to get my grandfather sitting down (though you wouldnt be able to tell) with his smoking pipe in hand and having just a sliver of light on his face and his hand with the pipe. I think it would look awesome....I just dont know, lighting wise what would work. Can someone give me some suggestions. :scratch
====My Gear=====
Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
Wedding Photographer
www.cwphotos.net

Comments

• illuminati919illuminati919 Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2006
    I think your idea is awesome. As long as the photo is representing your grandfather that's all that matters, make sure it tells the viewer something about him. As long as you do that, I think you will succeed with the photo, hope to see it soon on here. thumb.gif
    ~~~www.markoknezevic.com~~~

Setup: One camera, one lens, and one roll of film.
  • cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2006
    Thanks for the vote of confidence. Any lighting experts out there want to help me figure out how to accomplish this shot? bowdown.gif
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2006
    No an expert but here goes.......................................................

What do you have to light the scene with?????

Studio lights would be the best....Are you willing to rent lights?
    By studio, I mean either strobe or continious ( Source Four{Elipsodial spots light} made by ETC are used in theaters alot, that is where I got experience with them....).... {I would opt for continious for this project } ...with either you will want to shutter the light off his body, leaving a sliver of light on his face and his hand.....this easiest to accomplish with the Source Four E. spot as it has built in shutters and also the barrel can be moved in and out to increase or decrease the soft / hardness of the light...Barrel can also be twisted if needed for different lighting effects. You would also want a dimmer switch for the S4 so that you could shoot at 100% then back off for less light.

http://www.etcconnect.com/product.overview.asp?ID=20080

I would recommend a Source Four in the 19* to 36* field angle....pointing down at about 45* from above....

Where would you find one of these jewels....A Theatrical Supply company OR you may be able to get permission to use one at a local college that has a threater dept and use their stage and black backdrop.....

I would also recommend a handheld light meter since so much of your scene will be unlit it might create havoc with the cameras built in meter.......

If you want to get really creative use 2 lights, one for the hand and arm and one just for the face,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Good luck and post your results on here please and let us see what you came up with....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website