API users who are uploading: a question

onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
I have someone else doing uploading via the API (using POST), but they're repeatedly getting the socket closed on them on the 2nd file of any batch.

I think it might be related to HTTP Keepalive timeouts or something, and the obvious and easy solution is to just open a new socket for each file...

But, are you guys seeing this? Or is he maybe doing something wrong?

Essentially, he POSTs a file, gets an ok back, and begins another POST. Partway (not sure where yet) though, the socket closes, so he auto-retries and it goes fine. Rinse, lather, repeat.

Are you guys opening a new socket for each and every file? Or trying to use the same socket?

Don

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2004
    Re-aswering
    Sorry, I had to delete my previous reply for the reason it was wrong - didn't verify the code, and my memory failed me (need to get some parity check installed:-)

My component's setting is KeepAlive=FALSE.
    Which means it disconnects ater each request.
    Again, no problem noted os far.

Maybe that's also the reason why it's slower on the upload. I'll try to optimize it, so if it goes through the bunch of calls in a row it does not disconnect every time, only at the end.

Will let you know how it will go.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2004
    No problems here either. I've had splendid success with this API. I don't think I'll ever use the smugmug site for it's upload tool again. It's simply too limiting for my Firefox browser.
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2004
    No problems here either. I've had splendid success with this API. I don't think I'll ever use the smugmug site for it's upload tool again. It's simply too limiting for my Firefox browser.

...now now, you know us well enough to know that with this spiffy new API working out so well (and the Mac OS X Uploader that uses it working so well using it), and with every single person @ smugmug using Firefox as their default browser, we might not be limited to the current uploaders for much longer.... :)

Don
  • PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2004
    I only have one response to that...

clap.gifclapclap.gif
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• unsavoryunsavory Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited December 10, 2004
    This is the only reason I have not paid for the service yet. So if you get more robust uploaders and album organizers for windoze users, you can add one more paying customer to your list. thumb.gif
    edited December 10, 2004
    unsavory wrote:
    This is the only reason I have not paid for the service yet. So if you get more robust uploaders and album organizers for windoze users, you can add one more paying customer to your list. thumb.gif

Have you checked out Nikolai's smugmug Explorer yet?

You might be pleasantly surprised. :)

Don
  • unsavoryunsavory Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited December 10, 2004
    onethumb wrote:
    Have you checked out Nikolai's smugmug Explorer yet?

You might be pleasantly surprised. :)

Don
    No I haven't. I will do a search now and look for it.
    edited December 10, 2004
    unsavory wrote:
    No I haven't. I will do a search now and look for it.

Here you go

You can find more goodies in the hacks section.

Take care,

Don