Sigma SD14 - anyone besides me interested in this?

ntotrrntotrr Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited September 18, 2006 in Cameras
My Sigma SD9 was my first DSLR and the one I still use most of the time. I was drawn to the unique image quality of the Foveon sensor and I do like the sharpness level of the photos it produces. It's been too long since Sigma released a new camera, so long that many sounded the death knell for Sigma DSLRs. Well, they've done what they told their users they would do - produce a new SD. It will be uinveiled at Photokina and I am one who is anxious to see what it can do.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited September 16, 2006
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=41581

Sure there is interest, but there are too many unanswered questions to know if the SD14 is a treasure or a troll.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • mwgricemwgrice Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2006
    ntotrr wrote:
    My Sigma SD9 was my first DSLR and the one I still use most of the time. I was drawn to the unique image quality of the Foveon sensor and I do like the sharpness level of the photos it produces. It's been too long since Sigma released a new camera, so long that many sounded the death knell for Sigma DSLRs. Well, they've done what they told their users they would do - produce a new SD. It will be uinveiled at Photokina and I am one who is anxious to see what it can do.
    I couldn't get past the teaser web site.:D

Edit: Which I've already complained about in the thread ziggy53 linked while I was posting.
  • ntotrrntotrr Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited September 17, 2006
    mwgrice wrote:
    I couldn't get past the teaser web site.:D

Edit: Which I've already complained about in the thread ziggy53 linked while I was posting.

The teaser doesn't release much information, that will have to wait until Photokina. Sigma has always been tight-lipped about their SD cameras since the SD10 was released. The SD9 was announced way before its release but the SD10 was announced when it was available. I'm looking forward to this one very much and there may also be another SD announced also.
  • ballentphotoballentphoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2006
    ntotrr wrote:
    The teaser doesn't release much information, that will have to wait until Photokina. Sigma has always been tight-lipped about their SD cameras since the SD10 was released. The SD9 was announced way before its release but the SD10 was announced when it was available. I'm looking forward to this one very much and there may also be another SD announced also.

The Foveon chip is a great concept, but when they decided to create a new mount and Sigma is the only company that supplies lenses (that I know of) they really limited their market. They really should have settled on either a Nikon or Canon mount (they make lenses for both brands) then they would have probably sold like hot cakes. Kodak did it with their DSLR, and Fuji is currently doing it as well. Much better to dovetail with what is already a big seller rather than compete directly with the big boys. I still am interested in what they have to offer, because Nikon may decide to pick up Foveon sensor in a future body hehehe. :ivar
    -Michael
    Just take the picture :):
    Pictures are at available at:http://www.ballentphoto.com

My Blog: http://ballentphoto.blogspot.com