Options

Ch.73: Dancers

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited September 20, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
I know I'm entering Rutt's unchallenged territory, but.. man's gotta shoot:-)

Behold: Synchronicity of the Dance:

95714746-L.jpg
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    twinbnjtwinbnj Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2006
    thumb.gif Wonderful - perfect for the challenge!
  • Options
    Thanks!
    twinbnj wrote:
    thumb.gif Wonderful - perfect for the challenge!

I must say, the color original was not even remotely appealing.
    But a tight crop and some bw treatment helped :-)
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    Very nice treatment, Nik. A worthy candidate IMHO.

I see a little bit of "non-black" under the far left leg... doesn't look intentional, should be an easy fix.
    Chris
  • Options
    Chris,
    ChrisJ wrote:
    Very nice treatment, Nik. A worthy candidate IMHO.

I see a little bit of "non-black" under the far left leg... doesn't look intentional, should be an easy fix.

Thanks, mate! thumb.gif

Non-black...hmm. I highly doubt any color could survive 100% desaturation headscratch.gif Maybe a monitor?

Did you do any fun this weekend?
  • Options
    edited September 17, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thanks, mate! thumb.gif

Non-black...hmm. I highly doubt any color could survive 100% desaturation headscratch.gif Maybe a monitor?

Did you do any fun this weekend?
    It looks like there's a railing visible in the highlighted area... the railing is black, the area around it is slightly less than than black (grey, not color).

95714746-L.jpg

Went to early entry at the zoo today... will have some posts later (probably tomorrow!). Need to work on my RAWflow. mwink.gif
    Chris
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    Really great shot. Very creative crop. Good high contrast B&W. Right on target.

What about losing that frame and title and letting it stand on it's own as a photograph instead of a poster?

BTW: I'm hardly unchallenged. Ballet photography is very competitive. After all, what's human endeavor is more beautiful?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    Oh, got it!
    ChrisJ wrote:
    It looks like there's a railing visible in the highlighted area... the railing is black, the area around it is slightly less than than black (grey, not color).
    Thanks a lot!!
    Should be fixed now:-)
    ChrisJ wrote:
    Went to early entry at the zoo today... will have some posts later (probably tomorrow!). Need to work on my RAWflow. mwink.gif

Yeah, me too. I got a bunch from the sunset, they are good, but a lot of work needed...
  • Options
    John,
    rutt wrote:
    Really great shot. Very creative crop. Good high contrast B&W. Right on target.
    Thank you, mastah! bowdown.gif
    rutt wrote:
    What about losing that frame and title and letting it stand on it's own as a photograph instead of a poster?
    You mean like this?

Synchronicity of the dance:
    95774074-L.jpg

I don't know...headscratch.gif You think it would have better chances? rolleyes1.gif
    rutt wrote:
    BTW: I'm hardly unchallenged. Ballet photography is very competitive. After all, what's human endeavor is more beautiful?
    In general - yes, but here at dgrin..mwink.gif
  • Options
    BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    Actually, Comparing the two, I think I like the one without the border, It seems to have a little more pop, and feels a little more dramatic...

Nice pic btw!

Off-topic: Oh boy new smileys! :ivar

Ben
  • Options
    Bendr,
    Bendr wrote:
    Actually, Comparing the two, I think I like the one without the border, It seems to have a little more pop, and feels a little more dramatic...

Nice pic btw!
    Ben

Thank you for looking and commenting! thumb.gif
    I still have some time to decide on which one to use...ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    Nick MorganNick Morgan Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    I think this is, quite frankly, a gorgeous image -- very well done. One thing bothers me, though. For the first few moments of viewing, everything is great: the eyes are guided by the diagonals of the legs and the excellent contrast in the dresses. But then I move up the dancers and find them unfortunately decapitated. Obviously this was your deliberate choice, and I agree that it's creative and even that it works in some way, but I also find it troubling because the dancers are the subject of the photo and it is so customary, when the subject is human, to include the head or face that I find the effect, in the end, unsettling. To analogize to wine, then, the aroma, body, and boquet are fabulous, but the finish and aftertaste are a bit off.

Of course, I might be persuaded otherwise if I saw a version with the heads on.

I also strongly agree that the picture is much better without the frame. I think frames, if used at all, should never draw attention away from the subject, which means they should gently and unobtrusively give the image a base. Too much frame and the big title throw off the design.

Again, beautiful, beautiful photo.
  • Options
    Nick,
    I think this is, quite frankly, a gorgeous image -- very well done. One thing bothers me, though. For the first few moments of viewing, everything is great: the eyes are guided by the diagonals of the legs and the excellent contrast in the dresses. But then I move up the dancers and find them unfortunately decapitated. Obviously this was your deliberate choice, and I agree that it's creative and even that it works in some way, but I also find it troubling because the dancers are the subject of the photo and it is so customary, when the subject is human, to include the head or face that I find the effect, in the end, unsettling. To analogize to wine, then, the aroma, body, and boquet are fabulous, but the finish and aftertaste are a bit off.

Of course, I might be persuaded otherwise if I saw a version with the heads on.

I also strongly agree that the picture is much better without the frame. I think frames, if used at all, should never draw attention away from the subject, which means they should gently and unobtrusively give the image a base. Too much frame and the big title throw off the design.

Again, beautiful, beautiful photo.

Thank you very much for your detailed commenting, I do appreciate it a lot.

Heads... Well, if you insist, here's the semi-original photo (trimmed a bit):

95699048-S.jpg

Quite a shocking difference, eh?;-) mwink.gif

From how I see it, heads do not add well to the image I was trying to convey...ne_nau.gif
    ---
    I think you all guys made your point - I'll replace the entry with borderless one.... Thank you very much!
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    Wonderful, Nicolai! I love the crop. I prefer the photo without the frame. But I confess that whether or not a photo has a frame does not influence me in the voting.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    If it were a dorm room poster contest, then the version with the frame and title wins. But the frame and title don't make it a better photo.

The reason you like them, I think, is that they add weight to the bottom, moving the eye downward and compensating for the decapitations. But people who look closely enough to judge are going to see that anyway.

I think you get more splash by making your image as large as the contest allows and not wasting screen pixels on extraneous stuff. It project confidence in the image to do that.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    Nick MorganNick Morgan Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    Well, as I suspected, I am now persauded that the beheadings make this a more interesting picture. :jose Thanks for posting the semi-original.
  • Options
    John
    rutt wrote:
    If it were a dorm room poster contest, then the version with the frame and title wins. But the frame and title don't make it a better photo.

The reason you like them, I think, is that they add weight to the bottom, moving the eye downward and compensating for the decapitations. But people who look closely enough to judge are going to see that anyway.

I think you get more splash by making your image as large as the contest allows and not wasting screen pixels on extraneous stuff. It project confidence in the image to do that.

I think you are correct. You have actually verbalized my gut feeling when I added it - I didn't realized it myself, I just felt I need something extra.:-)

I also agree that dropping the matte makes it bigger and "pop" better.

Once again, I appreciate your friendly and very useful C&C!
  • Options
    Nick,
    Well, as I suspected, I am now persauded that the beheadings make this a more interesting picture. :jose Thanks for posting the semi-original.

I'm glad we're one the same wagon. thumb.gif

In fact, it was a "mental" decision for me, since I also don't like cutting off limbs or heads. But in this particular case it just felt right to do it.ne_nau.gif

Thank you very much for your comments! bowdown.gif
    If nothing else, I feel much better about my "trimming" decision now.:-) rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Virginia,
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Wonderful, Nicolai! I love the crop. I prefer the photo without the frame. But I confess that whether or not a photo has a frame does not influence me in the voting.

Virginia

Thank you! I guess I made the right choice then by dropping the frame:-)
  • Options
    mbzmbz Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    It is a very nice picture and great for the subject. I just wonder how the contest works. You won last time, which means you'll be a judge now. Can you include your picture in contest, if you are one of the jdges?
  • Options
    Mbz,
    mbz wrote:
    It is a very nice picture and great for the subject. I just wonder how the contest works. You won last time, which means you'll be a judge now. Can you include your picture in contest, if you are one of the jdges?

Thank you for your kind words!

As to your question: I honestly don't know. ne_nau.gif
    If push comes to shove, I'd probably ask to be relieved of the jury duty, at least for this session. There are plenty of talented people around who didn't participate in this challenge for whatever reason. I also don't always play, in fact, I probably participated in less than a dozen thus far, so it's a fair chance that I can play the "guest judge" role some time later.

Besides, the last challenge was officially two-way tie (and, in all honesty, I think it was a three-way tie:-), so if Truth (and LiquidAir) decide not to play in this one, Andy will get plenty of help even without me:-).

I think we'll hear from him when it comes to the closing time. :D

Cheers!
  • Options
    It's official - I'm out...
    Just got a confirmation - as a (co-)winner of the previous challenge, I'm not eligible for this one. deal.gif

Thank you everybody who helped me to build this image! bowdown.gif
    And I'm truly sorry I wasted your time and efforts on a "non-entry".. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    I'd say the challenge did what it was meant to do... you created a great image, and lots of people provided feedback. Just because it doesn't make the finals (for whatever reason), doesn't mean it's time wasted!

It's still a cool shot.
    Chris
  • Options
    Thanks, Chris!
    ChrisJ wrote:
    I'd say the challenge did what it was meant to do... you created a great image, and lots of people provided feedback. Just because it doesn't make the finals (for whatever reason), doesn't mean it's time wasted!

It's still a cool shot.

Appreciate it! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited September 20, 2006
    Yay!
    As I mentioned earlier, I was not eligible to participate in this contest.

But, guess what: the owners of the dance studio liked the picture and - I MADE SALE!!! wings.gif :ivar clap.gif
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    Nikolai wrote:
    the owners of the dance studio liked the picture and - I MADE SALE!!!

That's awesome Nik!
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    Nikolai wrote:
    As I mentioned earlier, I was not eligible to participate in this contest.

But, guess what: the owners of the dance studio liked the picture and - I MADE SALE!!! wings.gif :ivar clap.gif

Hey, super cool! I was reading re the framing. I liked your photo a lot and thought it was a strong challenge entry.

I come down to this the post re the sale.........and cool, very cool!!

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    Thanks, Bill!
    BeachBill wrote:
    That's awesome Nik!

I'm excited (can you tell?)mwink.gif
  • Options
    Ginger,
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Hey, super cool! I was reading re the framing. I liked your photo a lot and thought it was a strong challenge entry.

I come down to this the post re the sale.........and cool, very cool!!

ginger

Thank you, appreciate your attention! thumb.gif
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    Hey Nik! I've been off-line so much this week I entirely missed this thread. That shot is AWSOME!!! And........I prefer it cropped and without the border. Too bad you were not eligible to enter, but them's the rules. Congrats on the sale....that's even better! :saurora
  • Options
    Saurora,
    saurora wrote:
    Hey Nik! I've been off-line so much this week I entirely missed this thread. That shot is AWSOME!!! And........I prefer it cropped and without the border. Too bad you were not eligible to enter, but them's the rules. Congrats on the sale....that's even better! :saurora

Thank you!
    I agree, it looks even better w/o the frame..
    But they have purchased it "as is", anyways:-)

Xoxo! :-) iloveyou.gif