Second assignment for the paper SB & FB

donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
edited September 18, 2006 in Sports
Shot two games for the local paper today. It was much easier in the sun. First Game was Softball.
95732944-L.jpg

I don't know how the catcher catches the ball. Every shot I have of her catching the ball (even the one that was hit by the batter) her eyes are closed. "Feel the force luke"
95734903-L.jpg
more Softball at: http://www.donek.smugmug.com/gallery/1898688/1/95734903

I went over and shot a Football game after that. Here's a couple:
95756234-L.jpg

95749665-L.jpg

More football here: http://donek.smugmug.com/gallery/1898838/1/95749665

Would really love some comments and criticism.
Sean Martin
www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!

Comments

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited September 17, 2006
    nice pix i wish we had that much daylight here in oklahoma for shooting football..thumb.gif
  • dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2006
    good shots. thumb.gif
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2006
    some suggestions
    Overall, some very nice work.

One consistant issue, however, is the framing. With the exception of the catcher shot, the framing/cropping is not optimal. You've cut off body parts and have a lot of dead space.

For instance, on the batter shot you've cut off feet and top of helmet and have dead space before and behind. Either portrait orientation and whole batter or torso shot in landscape orientation (since you've already lost the feet) would make for a cleaner final image.

On the first football shot, again this would have been better in portrait orientation. The player coming in from the side doesn't add much to the story - which is the hit and secondary, the player looking up from the ground. Also, a boost in contrast and saturation would benefit the shot. It's a little dull compared to the others here.

On the second shot - again, akward crop - You're tight on the helmet and lost the feet. I think a lot of this has to do with shooting in landscape orientation. Try shooting in portrait orientation next time - I think you'll get much better crops. Also, you might want to dodge the face - it's underexposed and faces always make a shot better.

Again, nice shots - but I think if you make some easy changes in your approach and processing you'll easily be able to get even better shots.
  • stephiewilliamsstephiewilliams Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    Sean, they look good, Nice stopping of action...I don't know if all papers are this way but mine prefers to have the entire body in the frame unless it it REALLY close up like just a face...and usually although the photos need to have a tight crop on the action to eliminate distractions our editors ask us to leave a little room. The editors don't really pay attention to ratio...often times the page is layed out before the photos is even ready...they just pick a photo and crop on their page within the editing program. Would be nice to have some room along the edges to work with...
    Stephie
    "AMATEURS try till they get it right, PROS try till they cannot possibly get it wrong."

Gallery - http://stephaniewilliams.smugmug.com
  • donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    johng wrote:
    Overall, some very nice work.

One consistant issue, however, is the framing. With the exception of the catcher shot, the framing/cropping is not optimal. You've cut off body parts and have a lot of dead space.

For instance, on the batter shot you've cut off feet and top of helmet and have dead space before and behind. Either portrait orientation and whole batter or torso shot in landscape orientation (since you've already lost the feet) would make for a cleaner final image.

On the first football shot, again this would have been better in portrait orientation. The player coming in from the side doesn't add much to the story - which is the hit and secondary, the player looking up from the ground. Also, a boost in contrast and saturation would benefit the shot. It's a little dull compared to the others here.

On the second shot - again, akward crop - You're tight on the helmet and lost the feet. I think a lot of this has to do with shooting in landscape orientation. Try shooting in portrait orientation next time - I think you'll get much better crops. Also, you might want to dodge the face - it's underexposed and faces always make a shot better.

Again, nice shots - but I think if you make some easy changes in your approach and processing you'll easily be able to get even better shots.

That's some great feedback. Nice to have something more to work towards. When I turned in my last shots of the Volley Ball the editor asked for much tighter crops sawing, "I don't care if you loose a hand". Perhaps I went a bit too far. I'll definitely try the portrait shots next time. I attempted to brighten the face using the D-lighting in Nikon Capture, but didn't go at it again in photoshop. Part of the game was under clouds. That's why that one shot isn't as saturated, but I never consider adjusting for that. I'll keep a closer eye on it next time.

Thanks for the help.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!