My First Macros

douglasdouglas Registered Users Posts: 696 Major grins
edited September 17, 2006 in Holy Macro
Shot these today, Oly E500 with EX-25 extension tube and 40-150mm kit lens. Im fairly happy with result being from a kit lens I guess, cant wait to get a prime macro though.

#1 Wasp Cropped. F22 45mm

95761866-L.jpg

# 2 Spider Uncropped. F22 51mm

95761867-L.jpg

# 3 Toad uncropped. F22 74mm, this guy didnt mind me getting close at all, that is my tripod leg, center shaft and camera mounted upside down, rotated in PS.

95761868-L.jpg
Best regards,
douglas

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2006
    douglas wrote:
    Shot these today, Oly E500 with EX-25 extension tube and 40-150mm kit lens. Im fairly happy with result being from a kit lens I guess, cant wait to get a prime macro though.

#1 Wasp Cropped. F22 45mm
    # 2 Spider Uncropped. F22 51mm
    # 3 Toad uncropped. F22 74mm, this guy didnt mind me getting close at all, that is my tripod leg, center shaft and camera mounted upside down, rotated in PS.

You know Doug......I dont understand what it is with bugs, but soon as you get close they turn their backs on you, or try and face in a different direction, did these guys do this to you??

You never look at insects and bugs etc the same way once you start doing MACRO it's just a whole different world...... welcome to the club mate thumb.gif

Nice work......... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • douglasdouglas Registered Users Posts: 696 Major grins
    Thanks Skippy, the spider didnt move I would of liked to get a shot strait into his eyes but he and his web were to close to ground, the wasp moved a little bit not much though. I was quite suprised they were so cooperative. When my fingers were just a couple inches away while zooming/focusing spider, I kept thinking I hope he dont jump and attack my hand eek7.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Best regards,
    douglas
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    Excellent series of shots- you made a good start :)
    As Skippy says once you start on macro there's no going back :)
    One slightly technical point, you'll find that although you get good DOF shooting at F22 it will be at the expense of sharpness- you get an effect called diffraction softening at small apertures that really starts to kick in at apertures smaller than about F13 so if you want sharper pictures try increasing the aperture :)
    Brian V.
    Excellent series of shots- you made a good start :)
    As Skippy says once you start on macro there's no going back :)
    One slightly technical point, you'll find that although you get good DOF shooting at F22 it will be at the expense of sharpness- you get an effect called diffraction softening at small apertures that really starts to kick in at apertures smaller than about F13 so if you want sharper pictures try increasing the aperture :)
    Brian V.

Ok great, thank you very much Brian, Ill definately try lower aperture numbers. And yes indeed Macro seems very exciting, looking forward to finding more subjects! I think some form of flash/bracket with tilting head would come in handy too.
    Best regards,
    douglas
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    Gee, first macros huh?
    I'd say you are off to a spectacular start! Nice shots Doug...way cool! I think you've found a way to get some new equipment...Laughing.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    Swartzy wrote:
    I'd say you are off to a spectacular start! Nice shots Doug...way cool! I think you've found a way to get some new equipment...Laughing.gif

Laughing.gif I like your way of thinking! Im sure i will be investing soon. And thank you!
    Best regards,
    douglas
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    very nice photos loved them clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    very nice photos loved them clap.gif

Thank you Awais!
    Best regards,
    douglas