Some recent macros :)

Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
edited September 20, 2006 in Holy Macro
Some recent shots- been trying to optimise aperture settings vs sharpness at higher mags on my MPE-65.
Brian V.

Condensation

244345107_f4f2027960_o.jpg

Female common darter dragonfly- focus stacked from 4 pics- uncropped

244343209_b4022dae43_o.jpg

Cross-eye stereogram of above

244343210_489b6409f4_b.jpg

Fly bubble blowing

242505236_cf131bf318_o.jpg

11 pic focus stack of an orb web spider

242499914_c7299a3783_o.jpg

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2006
    Some recent shots- been trying to optimise aperture settings vs sharpness at higher mags on my MPE-65.
    Brian V.
    Condensation
    Female common darter dragonfly- focus stacked from 4 pics- uncropped
    Cross-eye stereogram of above
    Fly bubble blowing
    11 pic focus stack of an orb web spider

No doubt about it Brian when it comes to Macro Photography you certainly know your stuff ...... yup you da man :ivar

Your work leaves me speechless, the images you produce are nothing less than stunning, and indeed you will remain an inspiration to not only myself but to so many people on the Dgrin Forum, thank you so much for sharing your love of Macro Photography with us clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif .... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    Yea...what Skippy said even
    Lord Macro! What incredible detail and close ups. That spider is something I don't want to experience first hand, Laughing.gif Beautiful work. Let's see, extension tubes, backward lenses, flash rings....I think I'll go study some more. Awesome shots Brian, thanks for sharing them.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • douglasdouglas Registered Users Posts: 696 Major grins
    All fabulous shots, the first one is way cool, and the last one has amazing detail and sharp!
    Best regards,
    douglas
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    Wonderful macros i love them you know very well :ivar
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2006
    Thanks for the comments- much appreciated.
    I thought the first shot was almost poignant- it's the condensation on a cellophane wrapper around a brand new hose-pipe which I have been unable to use as we still have a hose-pipe ban :)
    Brian V.
  • TomaSTomaS Registered Users Posts: 314 Major grins
    I thought the first shot was almost poignant- it's the condensation on a cellophane wrapper around a brand new hose-pipe which I have been unable to use as we still have a hose-pipe ban :)
    Brian V.

Heck, I don't even know what a 'hose-pipe' is, let alone focus stacking, and the exotic equipment you use to get these. One thing I do know is that you have an eye for stunning tiny stuff as in #1 (love the patterns inside the drops too), and all cool bug macros. Opens up other worlds to all who see them. Thanks for sharing.clap.gif You deserve a smiley - bowdown.gif LordV
  • TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    bowdown.gif

The dragonfly is especially stunning. You know, more than the usual regular stunning. thumb.gif Was she just very patient with you?
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
    Thanks Tom and Tristan :)
    You know what a hose-pipe is it's the plastic tube you water the garden with by fixing it to a water tap :) hate to think what you call them :)
    Tristan- I'm amazed at how close you can get to some dragonflies if you are careful. Only problem with them when doing a focus stack is they often twitch their heads so you need to catch them between twitches :)
    Brian V.
  • MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    Stunning. I especially like the fly blowing the bubble. thumb.gif
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    Once again, amazing macros, m'lud. Especially the blowing bubble fly.

Your work is of an exceptionally high caliber. When I think of the very best photographers who post their work on dgrin, your name is one of the very first that comes to mind.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited September 19, 2006
    Thanks Sid and Maestro for the comments/ compliments.
    because I've probably taken pics of most of the more obvious bugs in my garden, it gives me the opportunity of playing around with the shots a bit more without the risk of being dissapointed if I totally miss the shot :). Part of the fun of photography is you never stop learning.
    Brian V.
  • mbzmbz Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    Beautiful!
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    Brian V.
    I was just about to ask how you got those amazing patterned reflections in each of the droplets. Phenomenal!

I hate to say it, but your bugs are all good, all the time. It's pretty much the norm from you at this point. But that condensation shot, wow - very very creative! As a fluids researcher, I love it!!!
    thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• B://B:// Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    I mean... what the... your macros are AMAZING!!!
    Yes, you're certainly LORD MACRO, they're stunning!!! thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
    Great Set!! :D

Byron M.
    "... anger, frustration, deception, loneliness are its meal... don't feed him" - Donatto on Zeoneth
  • tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2006
    LV, the first shot is excellent. Your bugs are very good as well, of course. The various textures and the lighting of the first shot are really striking. BTW, in the southern United States we would just call it a 'hose' . Others might call it a garden hose, and we connect it to the 'spigot'.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    Your pictures make me sick..which means they're very effective rolleyes1.gif

What lens did you use on the photos above? I just got a Canon body, I def have to try this out now that I've upgraded!

Is it the Sigma 105mm EX? Did you use extension tubes?

BTW, how do those work (ext tubes)? And more importantly, how much do they cost? haha
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I was just about to ask how you got those amazing patterned reflections in each of the droplets. Phenomenal!

I hate to say it, but your bugs are all good, all the time. It's pretty much the norm from you at this point. But that condensation shot, wow - very very creative! As a fluids researcher, I love it!!!
    thumb.gif
    Thanks,
    Must admit I'm fairly fascinated by the optical properties of drops- still waiting for them to release vari- focal length liquid lenses for cameras which I think they are using already in some mobile phone cameras.
    Brian V.
    mr peas wrote:
    Your pictures make me sick..which means they're very effective rolleyes1.gif

What lens did you use on the photos above? I just got a Canon body, I def have to try this out now that I've upgraded!

Is it the Sigma 105mm EX? Did you use extension tubes?

BTW, how do those work (ext tubes)? And more importantly, how much do they cost? haha

Hi thanks :)

I was actually using my MPE-65 macro lens aaround 2:1 for most of the shots but a sigma 105mm with a full set of extension tubes would give similar results.

Think the Kenko ext tubes are around $120 U.S. You will see much cheaper sets on EBAY but they don't have any electrical connections which means you lose control of aperture. The extension tubes are just as they imply- just tubes no lenses- they alter the focal distances enabling you to focus at closer distances. You can use them with normal lenses for example a standrd 50mm lens with a full set of tubes will give you just over 1:1 magnification.
    Brian V.
    Thanks Byron, MBZ and Thomas for the comments and language translations- much appreciated :)
    Brian V.