Suddenly, I'm a secret double-00 agent!

sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
edited September 17, 2006 in Technique
What does it mean when, instead of an aperture, "00" appears in the screen of my 10-D? I was in the middle of a wedding yesterday when this happened to me. I have no idea how I got out of it, but it was really inconvenient at the time.
What was this, and for future reference, what to do?

Also, I have been plagued by my flash randomly firing. It comes on, not as a flash, but as a strobe that lasts about a second.
I thought at first it was exclusive to one camera and flash unit, but then it turned up in my other camera as well. (I have two identical 10-D/430ex combos) Over the weekend I thought it seemed to happen when I was maneuvering the camera, and I think I hit the DOF button, but to tell the truth, I can't make this happen at will.

Does anyone know what is up with this?

Thank you.

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2006
    What lens? It usually means, your lens wasn't making good electrical contact with the body. Qtip and some small amt of alcohol onthe contacts, very small amount, and you should be good to go, depending on how severe the problem is.
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    What he said. In the field, the couple of times that's happened to me, I've just removed & re-attached the lens--that got things going again.
  • sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    Aha, of course. Thanks, guys!

Has anyone encountered the above-mentioned flash situation?
  • digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    Strobe Effect
    If you push the DOF preview button on a Canon dSLR, you will get a 1 second rapid flash burst called "modelling light" so you can see how the light coverage/shadows will appear.

THE DOF button is a small round button on the front left side, under the the large lens release button. Likely you pushed this by accident, giving you the strobe effect.
  • sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    digismile wrote:
    If you push the DOF preview button on a Canon dSLR, you will get a 1 second rapid flash burst called "modelling light" so you can see how the light coverage/shadows will appear.

THE DOF button is a small round button on the front left side, under the the large lens release button. Likely you pushed this by accident, giving you the strobe effect.

Yes, that's what I thought it was, but funny thing, I can't get it to happen at will.
    Also, I'm pretty sure my custom function has the modeling light function off. Will check this out.

At least I know it's not broken.
    Funny, I called Canon tech support and described this--before I connected it to the dof button--and he said to send it in for repair.

Thank you!