Saturday High School Gridiron

FrankieAngFrankieAng Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
edited September 18, 2006 in Sports
A few images from yesterday. All images shot with a Nikon D2H with 300mm f/2.8 (the last was taken with 70-200mm f/2.8)

Going deep for a huge gain...
67004081.jpg

A last desperation grab to halt a long run...
67004083.jpg

Good open-field tackle...
67004084.jpg

And lastly...diving in for six points...
67004085.jpg

Constructive critiques are always appreciated. Thanks for checking out my shots.
Frank
(Pbase supporter) www.pbase.com/eng45ine

Comments

• windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2006
    wow, you sure know what youre doing when it comes to sports photography!
    great images - all of them!

thanx for sharing!

troy
  • FrankieAngFrankieAng Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    windoze wrote:
    wow, you sure know what youre doing when it comes to sports photography!
    great images - all of them!

thanx for sharing!

troy

Thanks Troy, I appreciate the kind words. I am a student, just like most every shooter here. I crave the learning on how to shoot better, I appreciate the knowledge of those who visit this forum. Great group of folks.
    Frank
  • dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    wow, those are fantastic. I gotta get a 2.8
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
    dbaker1221 wrote:
    wow, those are fantastic. I gotta get a 2.8
    Thank you very much...yes, quality glass is a must. If only this stuff were a tad cheaper in price, the addiction is quite expensive as you well know.
    Frank
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited September 18, 2006
    A 300 at 2.8 == buttery smooth bokeh! I totally dig mine.

Nice work!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    Great shots! Crisp, clean and good color. Very well done.

My only thought for constructive criticism might be a tighter crop on #1 to try and remove some more of the player in the right of the frame.
    johng wrote:
    Great shots! Crisp, clean and good color. Very well done.

My only thought for constructive criticism might be a tighter crop on #1 to try and remove some more of the player in the right of the frame.

Thanks for the recommendation, John....how's this?

67081015.jpg
    Frank
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    Good job FrankieAng. On that first photo ... I suggest a horzontal format showing both OOF players. Crop tightly (just show enough OOF body parts so you know that the OOF players are there), give the receiver some room to run (crop so there is more space ahead than behind). The OOF players will help frame the receiver and give a sense to the viewer that either he was wide open or the ball was threaded through a host of players ... either way a good thing. (You may try cropping right above the receiver's helmet ... even though that crop would decapitate the OOF teammate ... just to see how it looks.)

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
    Thanks for the tip, Gary. I must admit, cropping is definately not my strongest attribute. I will play with the cropping and see what looks good. I appreciate your help very much.
    Frank
  • luisferfrancoluisferfranco Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    Wonderful pics. The timing in the TD is awesome... were you following the ball carrier, or the player?

Last question may sound silly, but the player isn't always the ball carrier. Some of my best pics come from WR that I follow, sometimes they are not in play (the ball goes other way), but when they get the ball, the results are very good.
    Wonderful pics. The timing in the TD is awesome... were you following the ball carrier, or the player?

Last question may sound silly, but the player isn't always the ball carrier. Some of my best pics come from WR that I follow, sometimes they are not in play (the ball goes other way), but when they get the ball, the results are very good.

Thanks Luis, I appreciate your kind comments. When I set uforof this shot, I was kneeling behind the endzone and had switched cameras to utilize the one with the 70-200mm lens. I was aiming toward the quarterback who was on the 7 yard line and he ended up being the runner with the ball. As he approached the endzone for the score, I widened the zoom and did a burst of shots to get this one.
    Frank