Nikon 24-120 vs. 18-200 vr

UT ScottUT Scott Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
edited September 18, 2006 in Cameras
Hey everyone,

This is my first post and I figured I'd say hi before I start with the questions.

Well, I couldn't help myself, I have a question! :dunno

This Christmas I'm going on a weeklong cruise around the [FONT=&quot]Caribbean[/FONT] and I want to get a new lens for the trip (gotta use any excuse eh?). The one I really want is the Nikon 18-200 vr but with it back ordered everywhere and costing $750 I figured I should look at something else just incase it's not available or I can't afford it by then. I've been looking at the 24-120 vr but don't know it it would be at all useful as a general vacation lens. I wont be doing any serious photography on the trip, just tourist type stuff. I'm also working on the newspaper staff for my university(University of Tennessee!!!), so if it would work for that also that would be a major plus!

Thanks in advance everyone!

Comments

• greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2006
    UT Scott wrote:
    Hey everyone,

This is my first post and I figured I'd say hi before I start with the questions.

Well, I couldn't help myself, I have a question! ne_nau.gif

This Christmas I'm going on a weeklong cruise around the [FONT=&quot]Caribbean[/FONT] and I want to get a new lens for the trip (gotta use any excuse eh?). The one I really want is the Nikon 18-200 vr but with it back ordered everywhere and costing $750 I figured I should look at something else just incase it's not available or I can't afford it by then. I've been looking at the 24-120 vr but don't know it it would be at all useful as a general vacation lens. I wont be doing any serious photography on the trip, just tourist type stuff. I'm also working on the newspaper staff for my university(University of Tennessee!!!), so if it would work for that also that would be a major plus!

Thanks in advance everyone!

Good look finding the 18-200 VR. I've been looking for a while. The 18-200 VR is definatley the lens to get over the 24-120, but I don't know if you'll find one by Christmas. A cheap alternative is the Tamron 18-200, it's a decent all around lens, although not VR and not Nikkor glass.
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange