Testing Sigma Lenses

ESigginsESiggins Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
edited September 18, 2006 in Cameras
Hi all,

I've been reading a lot of good reviews of the Sigma 17-50 F2.8, and seeing as I can't afford the Nikkor version, I reckon I'll get it. Problem is, people say there are some serrious quality controll problems with Sigma and I need to be sure I get a good copy. My question is, when I'm in the store with the salesperson breathing down my neck, how do I tell if I'm holding a good copy? I don't think they'd be real happy if I showed up with my laptop to do tests or asked for them to make me a few 8x10s before I make my decision. Any advice? Thanks,

Fred.
Shoot, or shoot not. There is no try.
http://esiggins.smugmug.com

Comments

• glovedesignerglovedesigner Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2006
    17-50 2.8
    I have a Tamron 17-50 F.2.8 and it's an extremely sharp lens! Maybe you should also give the Tamron lens some considerations. They are about $40-50 more than the Sigma version here in the States. The built quality is excellent, AF is fast and they are made and assembled in Japan.
    ESiggins wrote:
    Hi all,

I've been reading a lot of good reviews of the Sigma 17-50 F2.8, and seeing as I can't afford the Nikkor version, I reckon I'll get it. Problem is, people say there are some serrious quality controll problems with Sigma and I need to be sure I get a good copy. My question is, when I'm in the store with the salesperson breathing down my neck, how do I tell if I'm holding a good copy? I don't think they'd be real happy if I showed up with my laptop to do tests or asked for them to make me a few 8x10s before I make my decision. Any advice? Thanks,

Fred.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
  • ESigginsESiggins Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
    Thanks for the tips, y'all. I guess the point is to buy from someplace with a reasonable returns policy and test it at home. I don't think I have the attention span for some of that stuff, but I like the idea of the newspaper test. There was a quote in one of the articles from a Fuji guy who said 99% of sharpness problems come from camera misalignment, user error or film. Maybe I'll go ask the Technique forum how to get the sharpest images possible with whatever lens I'm using. Ta,

Fred.
    Shoot, or shoot not. There is no try.
    http://esiggins.smugmug.com